in the banner, the new message * next to the messages icon wont go away even tho I've checked all of the, now 4 message folders.

Messages, bbvzw.net email, gmail, and dupe of the same gmail for some reason, and the SMS/MMS

I dont have any new messages and it sucks seeing that on my homescreen when I dont really have any new.

is there somewhere else I should check for new messages?
    03-30-10 11:13 AM
    Did you do a battery pull after the upgrade? Always do that...
    03-30-10 11:15 AM
    Try a battery pull cause thats fixes a lot of random things.
    03-30-10 11:15 AM
    I'm not having a similar problem, but I just went back to .419. This has nothing I needed and it was also eating up my memory for some reason.
    03-30-10 11:16 AM
    i've done a quickpull and manually pulled the battery. it's still there. and when I change themes, SMS folder icon shows a new message, but there isnt one. when I open the folder the * goes away but the one on messages in the banner is still there.

question: if i make everything go to the main messages folder (which i think i have happening already) and just hide the other folders, will i have to still check them to get rid of the * in the banner? Is there a folder or app somewhere that has a new message i'm not seeing?
    03-30-10 11:19 AM
    I'm not having a similar problem, but I just went back to .419. This has nothing I needed and it was also eating up my memory for some reason.
    I always wait when a new OS or RIM application (Facebook) is released. See how the others like it first and what they complain about...
    03-30-10 11:25 AM
    i've done a quickpull and manually pulled the battery. it's still there. and when I change themes, SMS folder icon shows a new message, but there isnt one. when I open the folder the * goes away but the one on messages in the banner is still there.

question: if i make everything go to the main messages folder (which i think i have happening already) and just hide the other folders, will i have to still check them to get rid of the * in the banner? Is there a folder or app somewhere that has a new message i'm not seeing?
    I use the "Messages" folder for all my emails. All emails from all accounts will go there, it's easier in my opinion to manage one folder, than numerous. I also have my SMS/MMS seperated so they do not appear in the messages folder. No, you just need to open the email in the messages folder, you won't have to go to the actual email folder for that account...
    03-30-10 11:28 AM
    so.... why do i still see the * in my banner? where's this "new" message? doesnt the * go away after you open the messages folder?
    03-30-10 11:38 AM
    Could it be including your fb message/alert now? Probably not, but just a thought...
    03-30-10 11:45 AM
    the FB icon is there, and it's not showing any new. I've also opened FB, BBM, YIM, GIM, BAW and anything else I can think of that would have a new message.

minor, but annoying.
    03-30-10 11:50 AM
    look in the saved messages folder if you saved a message without opening even if you deleted it from the messages folder it will show in the saved messages as not having been read.
    03-30-10 11:54 AM
    the messages situation on my bb is all wackadoo.

i just did another battpull and upon start up, it's showing 1 new *message on the BBM icon in the banner and a new *message on the message icon. my homescreen dock is showing a * on BBM and messages.

after i open messages (nothing new BTW), the BBM * goes away on the banner and dock icons, but the banner BBM icon is still there, showing 1 unread. when I open BBM, the unread message is one I read 3 hours ago, that wasnt even a BBM message but an SMS from my girlfriend (who has a tour as well, not that that's relevant). after i open BBM the icon in the banner goes away.

but still, ever persistent is the new messages asterisk on the messages icon in the banner.
    03-30-10 11:57 AM
    look in the saved messages folder if you saved a message without opening even if you deleted it from the messages folder it will show in the saved messages as not having been read.
    thanks,
    been there, done that. * is still there.
    03-30-10 12:00 PM
    ok now WTF is going on. I DELETED my entire messages folder. and the banner is saying theres 2 unread messages and still showing the *

WHERE ARE THESE MESSAGES!!! this is a problem with not being able to REALLY merge your email/sms.

It wont let me delete gmail messages.

my hidden SMS icon showed the * but there's nothing in it.
    Last edited by kirksucks; 03-30-10 at 12:40 PM.
    03-30-10 12:36 PM
    not that any of you care but I opened DM and uninstalled some stuff. Skype, a couple games i never play, some themes I never use, and BBmaps.

now the 2 mystery messages are gone! no more *

i dont know how the apps i deleted could have messages but they must have.. or the connect to DM kicked them out of the system. nonetheless, I am free of the demon asterisk!!
    03-30-10 01:19 PM
    I have the same problem, every time I do a battery pull, the message count goes up by one. I'm going to try uninstalling skype....
    03-30-10 01:31 PM
    i also uninstalled opera mini and google mobile app.
    03-30-10 01:38 PM
    ugh...no luck. Guess I'll have to wait for an update.

Thanks though!
    03-30-10 02:06 PM
    Just FYI, I have the same problem... first started with 1, battery pulled, and then 2... you get the picture Lets just say I'm at 5* messages now...
    03-31-10 01:57 AM
    I ended up wiping my messages from the security menu in options and then restoring using desktop manager. One tip if you do this, turn off the radio/wireless before you do so no incoming messages come in during the reboot/install.

At least it worked...
    03-31-10 10:29 AM
    I have the exact same problem and it's driving me crazy. Everything was fine yesterday, but this problem began this morning. I've looked everywhere for a message that I haven't read, but there are none. I tried uninstalling recent applications that I added (Skype & LinkedIn), but nothing helps. Any thoughts on how to correct this. I'd hate to have to wipe my BB and reinstall. If it came to that, I would probably downgrade the OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-10 11:29 AM
    I am also having this issue but I have found a very peculiar way of finding my "lost new email". I get the little icon saying I have new email and my LED flashes but when I check my email folder, there is no new email. I even check my Gmail folder (shows the big "M" icon) and nothing new. I check my Messages folder and there is no new email showing.

Now, if I go into my SMS and MMS folder and click the Bberry menu and go to "View Folder" and click on the Inbox and select "Select Folder", it pops me over to my list of emails and there is the new email. WTF?

FYI, I have chosen to keep my emails out of my SMS/MMS folder. Also, this doesn't happen on every email I receive. Some emails come in and I can view them in my email folder just fine. But some seem stuck and the only way to retrieve them is the method I've described above.

Any idea why it is doing this and what I can do to fix it. This didn't start happening until I upgraded to the 5.0 OS the other night.

Thanks!
    03-31-10 11:35 AM
    It may have been Skype...???
    04-01-10 02:03 AM
    I deleted Skype from my Servicebooks and I'll see if it happens again.
    04-01-10 01:32 PM
    This issue is not related to Skype, because I don't have the Skype app, never have, and the new message icon for SMS/MMS will not go away.
    04-01-10 02:46 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD