I was wondering if there will be the need to upgrade from a leaked version of the OSv 4.7.0.148 to the official one that Verizon is rolling out in about 12 hours.
    05-31-09 02:16 AM
    No. it's the same version that you already have.

Or, as howarmat is fond of saying...

148 is 148 is 148
    05-31-09 02:17 AM
    ok, cool thanks! is there any difference in having the leaked version and not the official one since i deleted the vendor.xml file?
    05-31-09 02:19 AM
    ok, cool thanks! is there any difference in having the leaked version and not the official one since i deleted the vendor.xml file?
    The vendor.xml file in the leaked version is just a placeholder. The one in the official has Verizon's "stamp", so to speak. It's the only thing different between the leak and the official, and has no impact on the functionality of the phone.
    05-31-09 02:23 AM
    The vendor.xml file in the leaked version is just a placeholder. The one in the official has Verizon's "stamp", so to speak. It's the only thing different between the leak and the official, and has no impact on the functionality of the phone.
    ok cool, so then what does the "stamp" do? what data is contained in the file? Sorry, I ask out of curiosity.
    05-31-09 02:25 AM
    quick question though.. since i have .148 installed.. if i go into verizon and state that there are some errors.. will i be fine?
    05-31-09 02:26 AM
    quick question though.. since i have .148 installed.. if i go into verizon and state that there are some errors.. will i be fine?
    GOOD QUESTION!!!!
    05-31-09 02:30 AM
    ok cool, so then what does the "stamp" do? what data is contained in the file? Sorry, I ask out of curiosity.
    Well, looking at the one from 75, it appears to list all the languages, crriers , and the supported OS versions. this is why you delete the vendor.xml file when you want to install one from another carrier. For example, when Bell released .122 as official, if you wanted to install it on your Verizon phone, you had to delete the vendor.xml file because it tells the Apploader that the correct Verizon OS is .75.
    05-31-09 02:33 AM
    I'm not gonna try to answer that one, I have no idea. Would they be able to tell that you pre-installed the leak? There are several Verizon people's that frequent these boards, one of them would be better able to answer this than me.
    05-31-09 02:35 AM
    Well, looking at the one from 75, it appears to list all the languages, crriers , and the supported OS versions. this is why you delete the vendor.xml file when you want to install one from another carrier. For example, when Bell released .122 as official, if you wanted to install it on your Verizon phone, you had to delete the vendor.xml file because it tells the Apploader that the correct Verizon OS is .75.
    Ok. Thanks for the info. So it just tells the device what each carrier's current official OS is?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 02:39 AM
    Im sure you would be fine. The people in the stores probably wouldnt check and see if it is the official. They probably dont even now how for the most part.
    05-31-09 02:42 AM
    Im sure you would be fine. The people in the stores probably wouldnt check and see if it is the official. They probably dont even now how for the most part.
    this may be very true. sometimes when i am talking to a verizon rep i feel like i know more about blackberrys and sometimes some other things then the employee who is supposed to be helping me.
    05-31-09 02:47 AM
    Paul, I'll let you take it from here. I'm calling it a night. Take care!
    05-31-09 02:47 AM
    Paul, I'll let you take it from here. I'm calling it a night. Take care!
    oh come on, its not time for bed (yawn inserted here) yet.
    05-31-09 02:57 AM
    this may be very true. sometimes when i am talking to a verizon rep i feel like i know more about blackberrys and sometimes some other things then the employee who is supposed to be helping me.
    I agree, the last time I went into verizon to try and discuss an issue I was having with my phone, I could tell the rep behind the desk was totaly lost.She just ordered me a new phone rather than try to figure out the problem.

It's actually a little uncomfortable when it seems like you know more than they do about thier own product.
    05-31-09 09:59 AM
    The last time I went into the VZW store I had to explain the clerk that you dial *86 to access the voicemail. Since that happened I have stopped going to the store unless my phone is dead... when I need to exchange it for a diff hardware.

What I don't like is that they lie to you a lot. I was told that I would get a mail in rebate on the Storm and the final cost would be $30. Turns out the Mail in rebate only applies to the Curve and the final cost to me for the storm was $125. The idea is not the money here. It's the principle behind customer satisfaction. You can't lie to your customers and expect them to be satisfied and recommend your service to others. This is plainly absurd.
    05-31-09 12:26 PM
    you need to have the official verizon release OS on your phone just in case anything happens to your phone.
    05-31-09 12:43 PM
    It is sad to know that consumers know more than the reps, but we have these phones and specialize in figuring it out. Fortunately, there is crackberry.com or the many of us would be lost. Reps are simple liaisons to products. They're not specialized in one particular product but the general info. I don't read up on other verizon phones since I don't own them. I can figure out blackberries because they're more or less uniform. Although there is a BB service line to contact instead of VZ. The reps aren't fully incompetent... They're just not fully informed. As for the stamp... I wouldn't worry because the reps didn't inquire about it when they were telling everyone to get .75 from .65. Just remember to back up your phone via DM. You can always revert to the previous version should an insane reason arises. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-09 12:52 PM
    you need to have the official verizon release OS on your phone just in case anything happens to your phone.
    That's recommended. But I've heard others who have returned their phone with a different OS.

Even if you bricked your phone you could still do a wipe and reinstall .75 at anytime. So if someone is thinking of upgrading an unofficial OS that's not a good reason not to.
    05-31-09 01:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD