I have been a BB user for a little over 4 years now (Pearl being my first device). With the surge of apps popping within the past few years or so, I have found myself getting caught in the shuffle, moving from one app to the next, feeling the need to be in a constant search for the latest and greatest way to improve my phone (and feed my addiction, shhh...).

However, lately I have found myself going back to the basics. I now own a Bold, and realized I haven't taken the time to notice some of the changes made towards the native apps within some of the recent OS updates. I've recently gone back to using a lot of the native apps, like the media player for example.

I have also found myself getting rid of a lot of extra apps that were basically useless for me considering the way I use my Bold. Once again, I was just getting caught up in the hype, drinking the koolaid. I've even found myself going back to the original games that come with the phone, instead of all of the expensive ones I've bought over the years.

I dunno, maybe it's just me. Has anyone else thought about or experienced these feelings?
    03-23-10 03:59 PM
    Agreed as well. I was using Opera, tried BOLT browsers but now am just using the native browser. It is fine and once I increased the font size is acceptable. With WIFI it's fast enough for me.

Same thing with themes, tried so many, even created my own, and now i'm just using the stock AT&T 9700 theme and the only thing that I did was change the wallpaper.

The only 3rd party apps i really use are IM+, Google maps, BBWeather, Meterberry, and Role Call Task Manager.
    03-23-10 05:31 PM
    OP i'm with you and ml001277a.

I used to have the bb browser, the bolt browser, the opera mini browser, and the google browser (the one that opens your bb browser). I would have google maps and my carriers telenave (which is sprint navigation)
    I'd have all kinds of stuff, tons of different themes, and gmail app as well as having gmail pushed to my phone... etc.

I have since gone back to primarily the standard themes though I will occassionally dl one theme at a time. I'm currently using a chrome superman theme.

I also only use sprint navigation. As great as google maps is, it doesn't give turn by turn directions and there's no point in having it take up space. Instead of sports apps, I just redownloaded pocket pc for sports updates and weather updates.

I now only use the bb browser and just redid the settings to be customized for the sites i commonly visit. I use the standard media app and not the sprint music. Occassionally I will redownload pandora, but usually don't even sue any music apps. I was using google synch but instead just began backing up my bb every week.

I did purchase aerize card loader which theoretically "unloads apps" and stores them on the memory card. they can't be used on the memory card though and you could just as easily store an OTA link to the app in your memo pad and be done with it.

I have my old apps stored oin aerize card reader though.
    03-23-10 07:46 PM
    Moving thread to Native Apps Forum.
    03-23-10 08:28 PM
    My perception of the native apps has always been good. I add BerryWeather, Google Voice, Bolt, QuickLaunch, and a few more to the collection. Life without Calendar, Native Browser, and Password Keeper would be no life at all. My total installed app collection may run to 15 or so but among those only 7 are used on anything approaching a regular basis.

Games are not my forte so the native games are all hidden and no new games were installed.

Themes I do appreciate and finally found a theme (Reverie DW) which remains stable and likely to remain a long time. Wallpapers change infrequently as a whim.

For the most part the phone remains in its original state to the casual observer. Only when some specific function is required do my small changes begin to be seen.
    03-24-10 07:57 AM
    Glad to know I'm not the only one. I think at one point in time I had around 30+ apps installed on my berry (probably closer to 40).

The main native apps that I use daily are password keeper, calendar, browser, addressbook (played around with black book app from mbl for a while, was tempted by xobi for a sec as well), and I've gone back to the good ol' brickbreaker, and texas hold em' as well.

I use an android style theme that I created and have replaced the native tasks application with Slicktasks (that app is a Beast!).
    03-24-10 07:56 PM
    Agreed as well. I was using Opera, tried BOLT browsers but now am just using the native browser. It is fine and once I increased the font size is acceptable. With WIFI it's fast enough for me.
    I'm with you on this one. I also played around with both of those browsers before deleting them and reverting back to the native.
    03-24-10 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD