View Poll Results: BBM or iMessage

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • BBM

100 84.03%
  • iMessage

19 15.97%
    Ther probabally is already a thread out ther about this but i would like my opinion
    and yes i have the 2 so i know what both are like...

i prefare bbm over the imessage for a couple of reasons,i think its set out better
    how groups are better and the main point I DONT HAVE TO GIVE MY NUMBER OUT

i do like iMessage dont get me wrong but i think its abit slow and i dont like the way i need to give my number out in order to have new contacts
    withh bbm i could just stick my pin in a forum,facebook,twitter ect and not worry
    but i will never put my actuall phone number on them

sorry about the spelling im on my 9105 rushing this post :P
    Neely2005 likes this.
    10-23-11 09:00 AM
    Ther probabally is already a thread out ther about this but i would like my opinion
    and yes i have the 2 so i know what both are like...

i prefare bbm over the imessage for a couple of reasons,i think its set out better
    how groups are better and the main point I DONT HAVE TO GIVE MY NUMBER OUT

i do like iMessage dont get me wrong but i think its abit slow and i dont like the way i need to give my number out in order to have new contacts
    withh bbm i could just stick my pin in a forum,facebook,twitter ect and not worry
    but i will never put my actuall phone number on them

sorry about the spelling im on my 9105 rushing this post :P
    Plus you can easily block a BBM contact, once somebody has your number there's not much you can do.

Think teenagers and bullying.
    pantlesspenguin and Neely2005 like this.
    10-23-11 09:08 AM
    iMessage - I would never put myself in the described scenarios above of giving out my number to people I don't want to have my number first of all...

However, I do like the fact that it's automatic to all of my contacts - I just message people like I used to, if I have data available it sends an iMessage, if not, it sends a text... all my iMessages, texts, etc... are all on the same conversation with the same person. No silly PIN to send around, the person can choose to iMessage or text me back, or FaceTime me, etc... It works really, really well.
    10-23-11 11:05 AM
    I've been using it on occasion as well ever since iOS 5 came out. The simplest way I can put it is iMessage feels like using SMS/MMS (but over data and without the character limit) whereas BBM is more like a traditional instant messenger with all it's features.

The one thing I like is that it's cross device - you can use it across your various iDevices while keeping the same chat going.

It's not a BBM killer in it's current form, but better than nothing.

@jr2010 iMessage can use email addresses as well, not just phone numbers.
    10-23-11 11:18 AM
    Plus you can easily block a BBM contact, once somebody has your number there's not much you can do.
    There actually isn't a call blocker in App world either so unless you jailbreak your phone you're screwed.
    10-23-11 11:43 AM
    There actually isn't a call blocker in App world either so unless you jailbreak your phone you're screwed.
    You mean Appstore?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-11 11:44 AM
    I'm sick of PINs and inviting. Don't mind giving out my number because I'm not a teeny bopper giving random at a party my #. I talk to friends and family. People I know. Like real life.

IMessage automatically detects which of my contacts also have iMessage. If the network is down it sends as SMS automatically (or you disable this feature as I did on my moms phone)Can send iMessage to multiple contacts.

I have never had to block anyone. What the heck are you guys doing? Posting your PINs to make friends? Um, ok. I have enough friends in real life.

BBM doesn't do either.

Don't Care about social networking on BBM, sharing music or seeing statues. I don't use my phone as a toy. No interest I being part of chat rooms either. This isn't the 90s and I'm not 14. Ha.

BBM is fine. I don't care about the social networking part of it. I just wish BBM didn't require a PIN, and could auto detect.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-23-11 at 12:14 PM.
    10-23-11 11:46 AM
    I'm sick of PINs and inviting. Don't mind giving out my number because I'm not a teeny booper and I talk to friends and family. People I know.

IMessage automatically detects which of my contacts also have iMessage. If the network is down it sends as SMS automatically. Can send iMessage to multiple contacts.

BBM doesn't do either.

Don't Carr about social networking on BBM, sharing music or seeing statues. I don't use my phone as a toy. No interest I being part of chat rooms either. This isn't the 90s and I'm not 14. Ha.
    I wouldn't want bbm to do that as most of my bbms are international, international sms is not free.

And you can invite people to bbm via email as well, not just pins. Bbm is not only about making it easy to communicate it's about keeping people out as well. How do you stop somebody from imessaging you?

Jake Storm and Neely2005 like this.
    10-23-11 11:50 AM
    belfastdispatcher,
    I see you posted after me. As you're on my ignore list I cannot see your reply. If it's to me, I won't be able to answer. Just a heads up so you don't waste your time and energy. I don't waste mine.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-23-11 at 12:54 PM.
    10-23-11 11:55 AM
    This will make for an interesting discussion lol, I guess you'll have to wonder what I'm saying.

Jake Storm and citystars41 like this.
    10-23-11 12:00 PM
    I wouldn't want bbm to do that as most of my bbms are international, international sms is not free.
    iMessage isn't SMS/MMS; it's simply data. So, sending an "iMessage" to someone wouldn't trigger international text message rates.

Bbm is not only about making it easy to communicate it's about keeping people out as well. How do you stop somebody from imessaging you?
    You man up and tell them to stop, or you just pick better friends from the beginning.
    Chrisy and pri79269 like this.
    10-23-11 12:01 PM
    iMessage isn't SMS/MMS; it's simply data. So, sending an "iMessage" to someone wouldn't trigger international text message rates.

You man up and tell them to stop, or you just pick better friends from the beginning.
    If there's a problem and imessage can't get trough it will send it as an sms instead possibly resulting in international charges.

And many people do use BBM to ad random people, sometimes this can result in making friends otherwise you would've never had the chance to ever meet and sometimes it can turn bad, when it turns bad you can block them very easy.

Don't forget there's an entire dating scene over bbm, websites dedicated to sharing pins. For such people BBM is ideal.

KRol and Neely2005 like this.
    10-23-11 12:10 PM
    If there's a problem and imessage can't get trough it will send it as an sms instead possibly resulting in international charges.
    Which is why you can disable it. Or, if you use the person's e-mail address instead of phone number, then you don't need to worry about international text message rates.

But let's be honest. Had iMessage copied every single feature of BBM, then you'd just complain that it was an exact copy, so don't think I'm trying to persuade you. I'm just countering your inaccuracies.

And many people do use BBM to ad random people, sometimes this can result in making friends otherwise you would've never had the chance to ever meet and sometimes it can turn bad, when it turns bad you can block them very easy.
    Ah. So it's Apple's responsibility to provide you an easy way to avoid the consequences of your own bad behavior? You can't on one day claim iOS is dumbed down, then the next day get upset because Apple's expects you to manage your relationships the old-fashioned way, not simply by blocking their ability to message you.

Don't forget there's an entire dating scene over bbm, websites dedicated to sharing pins. For such people BBM is ideal.
    This is the single most terrifying thing I've ever read on this forum.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-23-11 12:18 PM
    That's a bit of a technicality as "iMessage" is transparent to the user. Using the app "Messages" does default to SMS if the recipient doesn't have iMessage or has it turned off, or no data plan active. You need to turn on airplane mode and wifi only to get around that. Something I have to be aware of since I am currently on a ****-basic Gophone plan.
    10-23-11 12:19 PM
    That's a bit of a technicality as "iMessage" is transparent to the user. Using the app "Messages" does default to SMS if the recipient doesn't have iMessage or has it turned off, or no data plan active. You need to turn on airplane mode and wifi only to get around that. Something I have to be aware of since I am currently on a ****-basic Gophone plan.
    Or use their e-mail address, which prevents the defaulting to text.
    10-23-11 12:21 PM
    Not sure I get what you mean. However, it clearly states iMessage in the text box. As well, the message bubble turns a different color when sending as an iMessage as opposed to an SMS. It's pretty darn neat!

I don't have a text plan either. Neither does my iPhone using mother. So far, she's has no problems discerning text from IMessage. And she's not tech savvy. In face, this iPhone is her first cell phone...ever.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-23-11 at 12:25 PM.
    10-23-11 12:22 PM
    Which is why you can disable it. Or, if you use the person's e-mail address instead of phone number, then you don't need to worry about international text message rates.

But let's be honest. Had iMessage copied every single feature of BBM, then you'd just complain that it was an exact copy, so don't think I'm trying to persuade you. I'm just countering your inaccuracies.

Ah. So it's Apple's responsibility to provide you an easy way to avoid the consequences of your own bad behavior? You can't on one day claim iOS is dumbed down, then the next day get upset because Apple's expects you to manage your relationships the old-fashioned way, not simply by blocking their ability to message you.

This is the single most terrifying thing I've ever read on this forum.
    Seriously? Crackberry have their own pin sharing section and then there's websites like this:

http://www.pinsharing.com/

10-23-11 12:28 PM
    Not sure I get what you mean. However, it clearly states iMessage in the text box. As well, the message bubble turns a different color when sending as an iMessage as opposed to an SMS. It's pretty darn neat!

I don't have a text plan either. Neither does my iPhone uses mother. So far, she's has no problems discerning text from IMessage. And she's not tech savvy. In face, this iPhone is her first cell phone...ever.
    The actual icon is called "Message". True the colour gives a warning but I can't recall if it switches before it is sent in case iMessage can't confirm the recipient. Still, Economist was correct about using email vs phone number.

Actually, your case is really where iMessage works best. I and my main contacts have multiple iMessage-compatible emails and phone numbers on several iOS devices. So poor iMessage still does get confused where it is sending what since I have yet to sit down and sync up things. Totally my fault.
    10-23-11 12:31 PM
    I'm sick of PINs and inviting. Don't mind giving out my number because I'm not a teeny bopper giving random at a party my #. I talk to friends and family. People I know. Like real life.

IMessage automatically detects which of my contacts also have iMessage. If the network is down it sends as SMS automatically (or you disable this feature as I did on my moms phone)Can send iMessage to multiple contacts.

I have never had to block anyone. What the heck are you guys doing? Posting your PINs to make friends? Um, ok. I have enough friends in real life.

BBM doesn't do either.

Don't Care about social networking on BBM, sharing music or seeing statues. I don't use my phone as a toy. No interest I being part of chat rooms either. This isn't the 90s and I'm not 14. Ha.

BBM is fine. I don't care about the social networking part of it. I just wish BBM didn't require a PIN, and could auto detect.
    I actually agree with you! I wouldn't give any of my information to someone I may potentially have to block. The people i chat with or people i actually know. If you wanna see my status updates, check Facebook or twitter. I don't need anything new to update.

I do wish they would add some of the group functionality.I use that for my sons little league and it's easy to have discussions about things we need to do, exchange documents, add calendar entries and share game day pics. All of this can be done via email which works best for those without smartphones, but it would be nice to have.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-23-11 12:35 PM
    The actual icon is called "Message". True the colour gives a warning but I can't recall if it switches before it is sent in case iMessage can't confirm the recipient. Still, Economist was correct about using email vs phone number.

Actually, your case is really where iMessage works best. I and my main contacts have multiple iMessage-compatible emails and phone numbers on several iOS devices. So poor iMessage still does get confused where it is sending what since I have yet to sit down and sync up things. Totally my fault.
    Yeah, I was surprised there wasn't a separate iMessage icon. I looked for it for a second. It seems the first time you go to send a message, it takes a second to detect if the receipts has iMessage also. After that first time, it must store that info because it is instant.

I like now that it's all under messages. I don't necessary like or need separate Icons for everything.
    10-23-11 12:35 PM
    Yeah! Not having features is great!

Remember when the iPhone didn't have copy and paste or the ability to send a picture message? Revolutionary

Just look at Siri's inability to read emails -- pure genius. If it had that "feature" like Vlingo, it would be total garbage.
    10-23-11 12:37 PM
    Lets watch our language remember CB is a family friendly site.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-23-11 12:41 PM
    i agree with belfastdispacher
    bbm is somewhat a big part of peoples lives,i have 200+ bbm contacts
    never met most of them but i have good convos about football ect
    and to some other people,it is used as a dating platform
    10-23-11 12:43 PM
    Yeah! Not having features is great!

Remember when the iPhone didn't have copy and paste or the ability to send a picture message? Revolutionary
    I also remember when the BlackBerry didn't have a decent browser, or when touchscreen phones relied on styli. Think what you want about the iPhone, but to deny its objective significance is no less silly than denying that of the BlackBerry.

Just look at Siri's inability to read emails -- pure genius. If it had that "feature" like Vlingo, it would be total garbage.
    I thought the same thing when I heard the PlayBook was being launched without a native e-mail app. We all have our flaws.
    10-23-11 12:46 PM
    I don't dislike BBM at all. I just didn't use all the extra features of it. I know one person with a Blackberry. I'm married 13 years, so I'm just too old to get what the kids are using BBM for.

I just really like the no PIN, auto detect of iMessage.

I wish both were cross platform though. That's the bummer.
    10-23-11 12:50 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD