Hey all, I have been having this problem for a while and I REALLY need it fixed. I have 2 emails on my device -- a gmail, and a personal email that uses gmail hosting. For some reason, each email account has its own contact list (can be viewed by going to contacts->options). This means that my contacts are split into two lists. They are not duplicate (ie identical) lists, but some contacts are in one list, and the remaining in the other.

What this means is that all 3rd party apps only get access to the default list, meaning that 3rd party apps can't get access to all of my contacts. This is proving very problematic for apps like Vlingo, CrunchSMS, Quicktext, etc.

I have gone into my email settings, and only my gmail has a box to choose to synchronize contacts; it is unchecked. My other email does not have this option. I tried deleting and recreating my gmail with no luck in fixing the problem -- even while my gmail email was no longer on my device, there was an @gmail contact list. I want to try deleting my other email, but I have LOTS of filters I don't want to lose; will I lose them if I delete the email?

I know that this is a difficult problem to fix, but I really need to either:

1) Move all contacts in one list to the other
    2) Delete one list without losing all of the contacts in it
    3) Delete both lists, as I don't wirelessly sync contacts. I don't need them at all, I just want all my contacts together.

I appreciate any help and advice. Thanks!
    Last edited by Strakerc; 03-11-10 at 03:08 PM.
    03-11-10 11:07 AM
    Below is a very detailed answer:

Background
    I have just spent the last 5 hours scouring the web for solutions and trying all types of things. I managed to fix my problem, saw that many others are as lost and confused as I was and in the process I also found solutions to a number of similar issues. The answer below is a bit broader than what you required but I think it could help a few other people too.

Reason for the multiple lists
    Whenever someone moves or re-adds a BB user to the BES without wiping their Blackberry before reactivating, a new contact list is created each time. One may therefore have duplicate contact lists labelled "desktop" or "unknown". There are other reasons but essentially they are all due to legacy issues and not wiping your BB. They could also be due to each email having its own contact list.

The Problem
    The problem is that only ONE of them is seen as your "default" and that is usually the one at the top of the list when you: click on Contacts, press "menu", select "options". Note the "default" is usually the newest contact list that was created. The typical problem is usually to merge the legacy addresses with this latest one.

Some Suggested Solutions
    The rset method
    It is true that to delete the data in the contact lists you can do the following: click on Contacts, press "menu", select "options". Then just start typing rset [yes that is the correct spelling]. This will pop up with a screen asking if you want to wipe the contacts, select yes for each list you want to clear (the 1st being the default). You can then wirelessly sync or use desktop manager to repopulate contacts. [note: just start typing �rset� once you�re in options, it�s a secret code].
    However, this only clears the lists and does not remove them.

The IPD merge solution
    Whenever you back up your BB it saves ALL your settings and data in an IPD file. One can merge/edit these IPDs using off the shelf software.
    The most common is something called ABC Amber. It has multiple versions allowing exports of sms's to text etc. The one we're talking about is called ABC Amber IPD Merger: ABC Amber IPD Merger - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com However, it's nice and widely used but I think it's not that grand and costs you $20 if you want a version merging more than 30 data items.
    The big daddy version that includes exporting data to txt or csv and splitting and merging data and is free(!) is something called Magic Berry: MagicBerry Blackberry IPD Editor and Converter - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    The IPD solution may solve your issue completely - including a whole host of others you had not even considered (such as exporting all your sms messages for historical purposes).

However, most of the time you'll still have multiple contact lists

Ultimate Solution

There is really only ONE way to delete the multiple contact lists and that is to back up your BB, and wipe the entire phone using: Goto "Options", select "Security Options", click "General Settings", once in press the menu button and select "Wipe Handheld". it will ask you to type "blackberry" and then wipe everything. Be sure you made a full back up using BB Desktop Manager [it will create an IPD] BEFORE you wipe the phone.

Once the device is wiped your Contacts will show only one list labelled "default". When you "restore" your IPD using desktop manager this will now become your main list used for reconciling with other applications

Merging lists - Steps
    1) Make a Back Up of the Blackberry using Desktop Manager
    2) Sync the Address Book with Outlook
    3) It will sync the contacts in the "default" list (the top one). Grab the Outlook Contacts and export them into a personal Folder [pst] (i.e. create a new folder Containing Contact Items)
    4) Then wipe the blackberry so it can remove all Desktop contact lists from the Device.
    5) Re-connect the device, go to "Advanced" in the Back up and restore section and restore the Address Book - All ( only ) This will be recognized as the main/default address book.
    6) Sync again with outlook. Also import the pst's you save separately, ie the "funny" ones that did not appear in your default contact list.
    7) Once you have all addresses in your Outlook merge them into 1 outlook contact list and sync back to blackberry.

QED
    03-22-10 05:27 PM

Ultimate Solution[/U][/B]
    There is really only ONE way to delete the multiple contact lists and that is to back up your BB, and wipe the entire phone using: Goto "Options", select "Security Options", click "General Settings", once in press the menu button and select "Wipe Handheld". it will ask you to type "blackberry" and then wipe everything. Be sure you made a full back up using BB Desktop Manager [it will create an IPD] BEFORE you wipe the phone.

Once the device is wiped your Contacts will show only one list labelled "default". When you "restore" your IPD using desktop manager this will now become your main list used for reconciling with other applications

QED

This does not work. When I wipe and restore it restores both "Desktop" Address books. Even though in the IPD it shows only 1.

Cant figure out what the issue is. I use Notes so the outlook merge is not an option.

Any thoughts?

thanks
    cvdburgh likes this.
    04-19-10 09:22 AM

Background
    I have just spent the last 5 hours scouring the web for solutions and trying all types of things. I managed to fix my problem, saw that many others are as lost and confused as I was and in the process I also found solutions to a number of similar issues. The answer below is a bit broader than what you required but I think it could help a few other people too.

Reason for the multiple lists
    Whenever someone moves or re-adds a BB user to the BES without wiping their Blackberry before reactivating, a new contact list is created each time. One may therefore have duplicate contact lists labelled "desktop" or "unknown". There are other reasons but essentially they are all due to legacy issues and not wiping your BB. They could also be due to each email having its own contact list.

The Problem
    The problem is that only ONE of them is seen as your "default" and that is usually the one at the top of the list when you: click on Contacts, press "menu", select "options". Note the "default" is usually the newest contact list that was created. The typical problem is usually to merge the legacy addresses with this latest one.

Some Suggested Solutions
    The rset method
    It is true that to delete the data in the contact lists you can do the following: click on Contacts, press "menu", select "options". Then just start typing rset [yes that is the correct spelling]. This will pop up with a screen asking if you want to wipe the contacts, select yes for each list you want to clear (the 1st being the default). You can then wirelessly sync or use desktop manager to repopulate contacts. [note: just start typing �rset� once you�re in options, it�s a secret code].
    However, this only clears the lists and does not remove them.

The IPD merge solution
    Whenever you back up your BB it saves ALL your settings and data in an IPD file. One can merge/edit these IPDs using off the shelf software.
    The most common is something called ABC Amber. It has multiple versions allowing exports of sms's to text etc. The one we're talking about is called ABC Amber IPD Merger: ABC Amber IPD Merger - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com However, it's nice and widely used but I think it's not that grand and costs you $20 if you want a version merging more than 30 data items.
    The big daddy version that includes exporting data to txt or csv and splitting and merging data and is free(!) is something called Magic Berry: MagicBerry Blackberry IPD Editor and Converter - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    The IPD solution may solve your issue completely - including a whole host of others you had not even considered (such as exporting all your sms messages for historical purposes).

However, most of the time you'll still have multiple contact lists

Ultimate Solution

Merging lists - Steps
    1) Make a Back Up of the Blackberry using Desktop Manager
    2) Sync the Address Book with Outlook
    3) It will sync the contacts in the "default" list (the top one). Grab the Outlook Contacts and export them into a personal Folder [pst] (i.e. create a new folder Containing Contact Items)
    4) Then wipe the blackberry so it can remove all Desktop contact lists from the Device.
    5) Re-connect the device, go to "Advanced" in the Back up and restore section and restore the Address Book - All ( only ) This will be recognized as the main/default address book.
    6) Sync again with outlook. Also import the pst's you save separately, ie the "funny" ones that did not appear in your default contact list.
    7) Once you have all addresses in your Outlook merge them into 1 outlook contact list and sync back to blackberry.

QED

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!!......ive been looking for a solution for this forever and the rset method is exactly what i needed......only con was when i added back that gmail address that i didnt want the contact list for was that the send button in emails is grayed out unless u hit enter after u enter the address

its a very minor con but i would love not to have to hit enter b4 send...anyone know for that?
    04-30-10 03:52 AM
    This does not work. When I wipe and restore it restores both "Desktop" Address books. Even though in the IPD it shows only 1.

Cant figure out what the issue is. I use Notes so the outlook merge is not an option.

Any thoughts?

thanks
    Why do the notes not make it possible to use Outook Merge? You can sync notes, tasks, contacts, and calendar through Outlook.

Notes=MemoPad on BB
    04-30-10 06:50 AM
    Why do the notes not make it possible to use Outook Merge? You can sync notes, tasks, contacts, and calendar through Outlook.

Notes=MemoPad on BB
    I use Lotus Notes not outlook.
    05-03-10 04:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD