Wild find [I commend myself a tad bit lol]

So.. I'm coming out of seeing Inglorious Basterds [plug...Great movie]...

And I stop because I see a weird poster hanging that says 9-9-09.

So I'm saying to myself "damn, that looks like my blackberry messenger 5.0 barcode".. So I pull out my blackberry.. go to "Add Contact"... and scan it. And want to know what happens, it WORKS. Amazing to me...

So I scan it and it pulls up my blackberry browser and goes to a weblink hosted only for blackberries..

Link Directs to: 9

You can try to scan the barcode from the photo that I used, and it should work for you as well.
    Just something I figure could go in the Monday Morning bulletin on Crackberry.com's homepage...
    Last edited by ClassaN0va; 08-23-09 at 10:34 PM.
    08-23-09 10:31 PM
    Wow very cool thanks for the post ill be checking it out when I look on the computer... Weird thing is bbm 5.0 is still not official yet there doing this

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-09 10:42 PM
    08-23-09 10:50 PM
    This barcode, like all the others that you'll see, have nothing to do with BBM 5.0. All these codes are, just like your BBM PIN barcode, is a standard QR code. These have been around for many many years and are compatible with just about any barcode scanner app that is available on tons of platforms (both desktop and mobile).

So no, it is not a "BlackBerry site". It's just a standard scannable link that just so happens to be compatible with the standard barcode scanner built into BBM 5.0.

As an FYI, here's a link to a YouTube video I made regarding the barcode scanner on the Nokia N95 a year and a half ago as well as a link of information regarding QR codes:

QR Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    08-23-09 10:56 PM
    Well thank you for elaborating on the situation. I just thought it was quite cool. I just don't know many people with Voyagers who used their barcode scanner to check anything but prices.
    08-23-09 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD