Is anyone using Mobipocket Reader on OS7 Devices??

It worked without issue on my Torch 9800, anyone using it on a Torch 9810?

It's my most used app, it might be a deal breaker to upgrade in the future for me. Although Kindle Reader, if it is working might be an option with the higher screen resolution.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by dfdesign; 08-25-11 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Misleading Title?
    08-25-11 01:21 AM
    Hey, I'm almost in the same boat - trying to see if the 9810 can replace my old Windows Mobile phone. An eBook reader is critical for me. Do you mind if I ask a few questions about MobiReader?
    * Can it read books from the SD card?
    * Is it possible to set up a "night" mode - full screen, black background and dark-red font?
    Thank you!
    08-25-11 11:52 AM
    Yes, I store anywhere from 20-30 books at a time on my Torch on the Card.

And yes you can customize the colors anyway you like...
    08-25-11 07:24 PM
    The Kindle app works just fine on the 9810, touch screen and all.
    08-25-11 10:38 PM
    The Kindle app works just fine on the 9810, touch screen and all.
    Yeah, unfortunately Kindle has almost no customization.

Mobipocket can use any resident font, adjust margins, colors, spacing etc, which is why it's my program of choice.
    08-26-11 12:05 AM
    Well i guess i've answered my own question for now.

Downloaded the 9810 Simulator loaded up mobipocket and it ran... I could only download a book sample through the program but had no issue with that.

So i'm assuming it will work
    08-26-11 01:29 AM
    Downloaded the 9810 Simulator loaded up mobipocket and it ran...
    Great work, thank you thank you thank you !

Now all I have to do is convert my library (I'm a hoarder - it's over 4GB of .txt and .fb2 books ) to moby. Googled up fb2mobi, that should do the trick...
    08-26-11 11:37 AM
    You should get Calibre. Best ebook conversion tool on the planet.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    08-26-11 11:47 AM
    I used mobi on my 8520 and continue to use it on my 9810 works great even responds to the touch screen so long as you D/L the "Storm" beta version. I just get all my ebooks of torrents in the mobi format or occasionally pdf as well.

CS
    08-26-11 01:52 PM
    Well - I got that Torch 9800, and installed MobiPocket. It's working okay for me, and it's hands-down the best eBook reader I can get for Blackberry. Still, I'm spoiled by the AlReader (Windows Mobile only). See, I do a lot of reading at night, in a dark room. Which the mobireader isn't quite perfect for.

First off, the screen colors are almost completely customizable. Except the little status bar on the bottom. When I'm reading in the dark, I can got a comfortable for night-vision dark-red-on-black configuration - with a blazing bright blue-white strip on the bottom of the screen.

Second, the app doesn't control the screen backlighting. Stay too long on a page, and it starts going dark. (I know I can change or shut off the timeout for the entire phone, but it would be nice to have it just for the reader. I might have to make a separate "eBook" profile). Same thing with the intensity of backlighting.

Third, the reader won't shut off the lighting of the keyboard. Again, I'll probably solve this one by setting up a custom profile.

Fourth, the touchscreen. Pinch-to zoom works, but not swipe-to-turn-page. And I dearly wish there was a way to shut off the dictionary function - it comes up all the time (again, blinding me with more white light).

The "Library" view: Hate it. First off, I'd much prefer a folders+files view over a flat list they call "library". It's okay for 20-30 books, but my SD card carries an actual library. With thousands of books, you've got to be able to break them into folders! Second, the background color scheme set for reading, does not apply to the library view. If I want to switch to another book when it's dark, I get a blazing white screen.

The desktop software.

I tried the ebook converters - and hated the Calibre. It's not just a converter, it's a full-blown ebook management system. Well, I happen to already have my books organized into a set of directories with files - but Calibre wants to make its own copies, which takes forever and uses up a lot of disk space unnecessarily. I got Windows Explorer to organize my files, thank you very much!

The conversion is slow and inconvenient. Each book goes into the same directory with the original, so afterwards, I'm forced to manually hunt for the individual books within Calibre's directory tree - which is organized differently from my original tree. Worse, it renames the files, clipping off the "excess length" - so if I have two volumes with long file names (blah-blah-blah-book one, blah-blah-blah-book two) I can't tell which is which.

At the end, I ended up using that fb2mobi freeware I found. It's a command-prompt utility, so you need to be comfortable with command files to use it. It's also crawlingly slow. But it works.

In other words, until I find something better, I'll have to use my desktop PC as a library manager. Again, less than ideal, but workable.
    Vintila likes this.
    09-12-11 01:33 PM
    Yep, I use mobipocket on my 9810 also... works just fine
    09-12-11 02:05 PM
    Well - I got that Torch 9800, and installed MobiPocket. It's working okay for me, and it's hands-down the best eBook reader I can get for Blackberry. Still, I'm spoiled by the AlReader (Windows Mobile only). See, I do a lot of reading at night, in a dark room. Which the mobireader isn't quite perfect for.

First off, the screen colors are almost completely customizable. Except the little status bar on the bottom. When I'm reading in the dark, I can got a comfortable for night-vision dark-red-on-black configuration - with a blazing bright blue-white strip on the bottom of the screen.

Second, the app doesn't control the screen backlighting. Stay too long on a page, and it starts going dark. (I know I can change or shut off the timeout for the entire phone, but it would be nice to have it just for the reader. I might have to make a separate "eBook" profile). Same thing with the intensity of backlighting.

Third, the reader won't shut off the lighting of the keyboard. Again, I'll probably solve this one by setting up a custom profile.

Fourth, the touchscreen. Pinch-to zoom works, but not swipe-to-turn-page. And I dearly wish there was a way to shut off the dictionary function - it comes up all the time (again, blinding me with more white light).

The "Library" view: Hate it. First off, I'd much prefer a folders+files view over a flat list they call "library". It's okay for 20-30 books, but my SD card carries an actual library. With thousands of books, you've got to be able to break them into folders! Second, the background color scheme set for reading, does not apply to the library view. If I want to switch to another book when it's dark, I get a blazing white screen.

The desktop software.

I tried the ebook converters - and hated the Calibre. It's not just a converter, it's a full-blown ebook management system. Well, I happen to already have my books organized into a set of directories with files - but Calibre wants to make its own copies, which takes forever and uses up a lot of disk space unnecessarily. I got Windows Explorer to organize my files, thank you very much!

The conversion is slow and inconvenient. Each book goes into the same directory with the original, so afterwards, I'm forced to manually hunt for the individual books within Calibre's directory tree - which is organized differently from my original tree. Worse, it renames the files, clipping off the "excess length" - so if I have two volumes with long file names (blah-blah-blah-book one, blah-blah-blah-book two) I can't tell which is which.

At the end, I ended up using that fb2mobi freeware I found. It's a command-prompt utility, so you need to be comfortable with command files to use it. It's also crawlingly slow. But it works.

In other words, until I find something better, I'll have to use my desktop PC as a library manager. Again, less than ideal, but workable.
    Just download the mobi desktop app. It converts fast, and transfers to your device directly.
    09-13-11 12:08 AM
    Just download the mobi desktop app. It converts fast, and transfers to your device directly.
    Thank you for the recommendation! For now, I got about 20 books into the mobireader's library, so I'm set for the time being.

For now, I'm solving another problem: Turns out, keys/screen backlight settings are not a part of regular profiles. So I'm searching for a way to set up "backlight" profiles - so I don't have to change three separate global settings every time I want to read a book.
    09-13-11 02:58 PM
    Anybody having succes with mobipocket on a 9930 with OS7? Mine gets jammed up when it proceeds to transfer annotations. I basically seem unable to transfer a book from my PC to BB. I'm bummed.
    10-10-12 04:47 PM
    For backlight screen you can try Advance OS and Led Apps from AppWorld its free and come with various function. One function is to let your screen always on (never get dims), and you can easily turn off this option anytime you don't wanna screen always on,but note this will affect your battery life. I personally use this function when downloading a large file, dims screen somehow often make my download process error. Hope this will solve your problem. Sorry for bad languange I am not fluent in english.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 7.1.0714 using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Mobipocket Reader on OS7 Devices?-tapaupload0.jpg  
    10-27-12 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD