Hey,

I installed 7.1 on my phone yesterday purely for the Mobile Hotspot feature, but every time I go to manage connections and check the Mobile Hotspot box, a messages comes up saying Activation Required "Click Continue to subscribe to a Mobile Hotspot data plan using the browser on your smartphone or on a connected Wi-Fi device."

But the only options I have is 'OK', and when I press that nothing happens.

I've tried calling T-Mobile about 3 times but I'm not getting anywhere.
    First they said to plug my phone into the computer then add a Mobile Internet profile on Blackberry Desktop Manager (which wasn't what I wanted because that's just to get your laptop to connect to your phone).

Then they said to do a battery pull (yawn), and finally, she said this feature wasn't possible on the phone and when I proved her wrong saying that it DOES work because I've seen videos of it being done on Youtube, she said we don't offer that service.

Are you kidding me? My brother is also on T-Mobile but he has the S2, and he can do it straight away

Thanks for reading, hope you can shed some light on this mess!!
    03-20-12 12:15 PM
    It worked for me on the .284 build w/ AT&T. I lost the feature on .342 and get the activation message now also.
    03-22-12 12:53 AM
    T-Mobile requires that you add a Hotspot feature to your plan for $14.95 a month.
    03-22-12 03:39 AM
    Thanks for the replies people. I just rang T-Mobile for the 4th time and apparently to use this feature they said I need to upgrade from 500MB data to 1GB, which costs an extra 5 a month ($8). That is ridiculous, I tried using my sisters simcard (she's on O2) and the hotspot feature worked instantly. I can't wait to see the back of T-Mobile next month when the contract finishes, their customer service is just poor.

Sorry for the rant And once again, thanks for the replies
    03-25-12 03:22 PM
    It worked for me on the .284 build w/ AT&T. I lost the feature on .342 and get the activation message now also.
    This is an interesting comment to me.

I just got the 9900. The first thing I did was come to the forums and search for the latest OS. So, I loaded 7.1.0.342. Everything works great with the exception of hotspot.

I have a 5 GB plan with tethering on my account. Hotspot is enabled too. I have a BES plan. I can start the hotspot feature and it returns a popup message, "Activation Required. Mobile Hotspot is not setup for this account. Please call AT&T Customer Care."

They tried everything to help me get it to work on their end, even though I don't think it is officially supported yet since they haven't released an OS for it. Is that right? If so, it must be an OS 7.1.0.342 issue with hotspot on AT&T.

I loathe the idea of reloading an entire OS with all my apps, getting a BES password, restarting the handshake with my corporate email, etc. just to get that to work! Is there any other alternative to get just the cod files or a jad file that I can load through BBSAK or similar?
    03-27-12 10:42 AM
    This is an interesting comment to me.

I just got the 9900. The first thing I did was come to the forums and search for the latest OS. So, I loaded 7.1.0.342. Everything works great with the exception of hotspot.

I have a 5 GB plan with tethering on my account. Hotspot is enabled too. I have a BES plan. I can start the hotspot feature and it returns a popup message, "Activation Required. Mobile Hotspot is not setup for this account. Please call AT&T Customer Care."

They tried everything to help me get it to work on their end, even though I don't think it is officially supported yet since they haven't released an OS for it. Is that right? If so, it must be an OS 7.1.0.342 issue with hotspot on AT&T.

I loathe the idea of reloading an entire OS with all my apps, getting a BES password, restarting the handshake with my corporate email, etc. just to get that to work! Is there any other alternative to get just the cod files or a jad file that I can load through BBSAK or similar?
    Got to be carrier related as works fine with .342 on Voda UK even though they have not yet released a 7.1 OS.
    03-27-12 10:46 AM
    Got to be carrier related as works fine with .342 on Voda UK even though they have not yet released a 7.1 OS.
    I agree that it is carrier related. However, is it the plan of my carrier or this specific OS and my carrier's network not correctly working together. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I realize this OS and mobile hotspot works for other carriers.

I'm just puzzled why mine won't work with AT&T, a 5GB tethering plan, and hotspots enabled. It's either this OS build with ATT or it is a plan feature on ATT to get it working. But, I spent a few hours last night with ATT foolling around with it - and nothing got resolved.
    03-27-12 12:17 PM
    Just an update - for anyone else having simillar issues on AT&T - I deleted .342 and reinstalled .284.

Mobile Hot Spot now works

I can't watch YouTube via the built in link or on the m.youtube.com link. But, I'm thrilled to have HotSpot.
    04-02-12 10:14 AM
    As a follow on to this, I am running 7.1.267 on AT&T and got fed up with waiting for them to fix this mobile hotspot issue. I have a Bold 9900 w/ their Data Pro 5GB tethering plan, using AT&T BIS (not BES) to connect.

I just downloaded the tether.com app which I discovered in this forum. It is somewhat slow, but I am able to easily get a reliable bluetooth connection between my BB and Macbook now. It's fast enough to stream Netflix and work on heavy emails.
    05-21-12 07:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD