Hello everyone, I've been on been on Wirelessadvisor.com and Howardforums.com for years now, but being that I just joined the Blackberry world about 10 days ago (with a VZW 8330) I figured I should also start a new life here too. The reason I started this thread is I have a problem I haven't been able to figure out through lots of reading and lots of play with the phone. I use the leather holster with the magnet in it to put it in the sleep mode. When I pull the phone out it auto opens any message that I'm being alerted of at the time. So basically if the phone starts vibrating I want to pull it out and see if someone is calling or if it is just an email or TXT, so I don't want it to open the message if there is one. Is this just a "feature", or is there a setting I am missing somewhere?
    01-26-09 11:33 AM
    Wait about 20 secs before pulling it out of the holster, it assumes since you took it oout, you want to read it right away.
    01-26-09 11:34 AM
    The problem is I can't tell if it is a message or a phone call when the phone starts vibrating, that's why I check it right away. I want to see if it is a call or a message and then answer it or read it if I have I time.
    01-26-09 11:40 AM
    When my phone does that, it never automatically answers the call. I'm not sure if you meant yours did...thats just what I got from your last response...
    01-26-09 11:44 AM
    You could change your profile so that when you recieve sms/mms/emails your phone will vibrate once, and for phone calls, your phone could vibrate two or three times. That is what I do.
    01-26-09 11:47 AM
    yeah pulling it out of the holster doesnt auto answer unless you set it to do so, and if u pull it out when its vibrating or alerting you in someway within 20 seconds like it was stated before it auto opens ur text but doesnt auto answer your call
    Last edited by GarrettBlackBerry; 01-26-09 at 11:50 AM. Reason: i mis-spelled a word
    01-26-09 11:48 AM
    I have this same problem, but by setting up different ring tones i am able to know if it is a voice call, e-mail 1, e-mail 2, sms, mms, or other. Then i know if i want to look at it or not. Even if i do it does not actually answer a voice call it just shows me who it is that is calling.
    01-26-09 11:48 AM
    You can customize each functions through your profile so you can differ between each..
    01-26-09 11:52 AM
    It doesn't answer calls, only opens messages. I have to keep my phone on vibrate at work, so that's why I can't have different tones for calls vs messages. So from what everyone is saying here I take it that this is just how it works, no way around it?
    01-26-09 11:54 AM
    well you can edit ur profiles or create one and have it where messages vibrate once and emails twice and calls 3 vibrates or however you choose
    01-26-09 11:57 AM
    I have the phone vibrate 3 times for a phone call, 2 times for sms/mms, and 1 time for an email. All set up through profiles. This allows me to distinguish an email from a phone call so I do not have to take it out of the holster to check. The auto open is an annoying feature and one I would like an option to change in future OS versions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 01:44 PM
    The auto open is an annoying feature and one I would like an option to change in future OS versions.

So I am not missing something, this is just how it works, no way around it.
    01-26-09 06:22 PM
    There is an app, called Vibandring, which I love, it allows the phone to have a constant vibrate along with the ringer, they also have a trial to see if you like it, that way, you would be able to distinguish between the constant vibrate for a call, and the short pulses for a text.
    01-26-09 06:25 PM
    I have the 8330 curve. I finally figured out how to fix this problem. Go to you options menu. Then go to sucurity options. Next you need to click on general settings. The lock handheld upon holstering options needs to be changed to yes. When you phone vibrates and you have an incoming call you can answer the call without unlocking the phone. When you have any other type of message come in you will be able to see the icon at the top of the screen and decide if you want to unlock the keypad and check the message at that time. Hope this helps.
    02-05-09 04:50 PM
    I have the 8330 curve. I finally figured out how to fix this problem. Go to you options menu. Then go to sucurity options. Next you need to click on general settings. The lock handheld upon holstering options needs to be changed to yes. When you phone vibrates and you have an incoming call you can answer the call without unlocking the phone. When you have any other type of message come in you will be able to see the icon at the top of the screen and decide if you want to unlock the keypad and check the message at that time. Hope this helps.
    This locks the device then requiring a password to be entered to use it, correct?
    02-08-09 11:12 PM
    It is a feature of the whole sleep thing, my father's 8700 does this too, I haven't seen a way around this. Maybe try by putting a lock on the phone?
    02-08-09 11:46 PM
    I tried this (8310) and if you take it out within the 20 sec, after you unlock it, the email is open already.

Mine seems to hang up (force to voicemail) incoming calls when I remove from the holster.

Sure would be nice to disable this feature
    02-11-09 04:57 PM
    Given that we can't disable auto-open, I suggest that the OP check out BlackBerry Alerts. It costs a few dollars, BUT you can set different colors to different incoming stuff - one color for E-mails, a different color for phone calls, etc. Might help the OP decide if it's worth pulling the BB out of the holster when it starts vibrating.

02-11-09 05:33 PM
    I have been racking my brain trying to figure this one out...Thanks guys!
    04-17-09 11:25 AM
    You could just get a different holster without the magnet. Then it won't auto-open when you remove it.

WOW old thread. I didn't even notice the date on the earlier posts
    04-17-09 12:11 PM
    You could just get a different holster without the magnet. Then it won't auto-open when you remove it.

WOW old thread. I didn't even notice the date on the earlier posts
    Yes, but then it wont go into standby mode automatically. That's the whole point behind holstered mode. You can set up different options depending of the phones status.
    04-24-09 03:16 PM
    Yes, but then it wont go into standby mode automatically. That's the whole point behind holstered mode. You can set up different options depending of the phones status.
    That is correct therefore, you can have standby mode or have your messages open when removed. THe message will not open automatically if you leave it in holster for more than minute or two after the message comes in. the device is programmed this way cause it figures that if you pull the device that quickly, you want to see the message
    04-24-09 03:23 PM
    There should be an option to just disable it. I think it's annoying too.
    05-08-09 09:22 PM
    no.....just push 2 buttons.it will tell you what to push to unlock..no password
    01-10-10 07:01 PM
    no...just 2 buttons.
    01-10-10 07:03 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD