Hi, I've had my BlackBerry 8830 for a few months and I am having problems playing YouTube videos through my browser using the BlackBerry Media Player. I am using version 4.5.0 as the OS for my BlackBerry 8830.

When I originally bought my BlackBerry 8830 it had a previous OS version which would not let me play YouTube videos in Media Player and that OS 4.5.0 corrected this issue. When I upgraded to 4.5.0 everything worked great until recently. Now every time I try to watch a YouTube video through the BlackBerry 8830 browser I get this message: "The media being played is of an unsupported format".

I went ahead and reinstalled OS 4.5.0 and that cleared up the issue until the other day - I am getting this same error message again. Now here's what I tried:

Hard reset the 8830 (remove/replace battery)
    Downloaded different YouTube viewer from BlackBerry App World (would not play from browser, had to uninstall)
    Used m.youtube.com as the web address from the BlackBerry browser

I understand that Verizon (who is my carrier) may be releasing OS 5.0 soon, but I do not see it as of yet. Is there any way I can work around this issue short of having to reinstall OS 4.5.0? Thanks for your help!
    03-21-10 08:44 PM
    I previously had an 8830 with Verizon, and this seems to be an issue with this device. As far as correcting it goes, well, there really sint much that you can do about it, its really hit or miss with youtube. As far as OS 5.0 for the 8830, its not going to happen. The 8830 is being (if it hasn't already been) discontinued. As far as a new OS goes, you're not going to see one, sorry about that. The WE is a really great device that lasted me for 2 years, I hope you enjoy it. As I said, youtube is very hit or miss on that device, and there isn't really a solution for it, unless there's someone out there thant knows something that I don't. If you need any additional help, feel free to PM me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-10 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD