What follows is a method to set up a exchange email relay server on your local network, which can relay mail to your BlackBerry's Logicmail client on that network only. I use this method to connect to my Outlook.com account when I'm at home. It's more secure than connecting directly to Outlook's exchange servers, which is still possible, but not advisable.

It would help to have a working knowledge of local networks and servers so that you fully understand what these steps entail.

Here's the process:

1. install Davmail (DavMail POP/IMAP/SMTP/Caldav/Carddav/LDAP Exchange Gateway) on a computer on your local network. This computer will serve as your relay server. It should always be on and should be assigned a static IP by your router. Record the static IP.

2. configure Davmail as indicated here: DavMail POP/IMAP/SMTP/Caldav/Carddav/LDAP Exchange Gateway - Getting started. The Exchange Protocol should be set to O365 for regular Outlook.com accounts. You can untick the checkboxes for POP, Caldav, and LDAP. On the network tab, check the box for "allow remote connections."

3. configure LogicMail. Use your regular email credentials, but use the static IP of your "server" along with the port numbers identified on the davmail configuration page. Do not enable any security.

This setup involves completely insecure interactions between the BlackBerry client and the Davmail server on your local network, but that's all happening behind your router's firewall. The connection between your Davmail server and Microsoft's exchange server over the open internet is encrypted.

BlackBerry Logicmail Client <---insecure connection over private home network---> Davmail Relay Server <---secure connection over public internet---> MS Exchange Server

So as long as your wifi network is secure and you don't forward ports 1143 and 1025 from your router to the server (which would be a ridiculously horrible thing to do!!!), you should be fine. Having said that, do this at your own risk.

Edit: you could set up TLS 1.0 on the relay server if you like. In my case I didn't think it was necessary.

Edit 2: I forgot to include a couple of things. My server has Linux on it (and you can configure it headless if you like), but if you use a Windows computer to do this, you'll likely have to change some firewall settings.

In addition, if you want IMAP IDLE to stay connected, so your device maintains a push connection all day, in the Davmail settings on the main tab, set IDLE folder monitor delay (IMAP) to 1. In Logicmail, set refresh to 5 minutes. Mine's also set to refresh headers.

With that setup, even though it suggests that you'll be polling every five minutes, it actually maintains the IDLE connection and you'll get your email pushed to the device with about a 20-30 second delay.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 01-16-22 at 09:05 AM.
    idssteve likes this.
    01-15-22 01:28 PM
    Excellent info! Thanks!
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    01-16-22 05:13 AM
    Does this method still work for you in 2023?
    07-06-23 12:40 PM
    Does this method still work for you in 2023?
    Shuswap closed his account here... so your not going to get a reply from him. He has the site THE BOLD EXPLORER, but I think he gave up on BBOS at this point. You can try his Email: shuswap -at- darkstar -dot- x10host -dot- com

Back when he was doing this TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 were still usable transport protocols.... they aren't now.
    BLAZEDv3 likes this.
    07-06-23 01:17 PM
    Thank you for the heads up! Will reach out to him via email.
    07-14-23 09:23 AM