Just a follow up to my previous post and have always wonder about you guys that are on BES. Is there a way around the fact that when you do a security wipe and device wipe you need to bug the BES administrator to allow you to reactivate again? Is there a trick to simulating the "auto-activation" when you skip the wiping and just in upgrade the OS straight?
    There is an application within BES that acts like DM. It is server based and allows you to back-up, explore, trouble shoot, your device. It also allows you to set-up or change your BES password. Of course your administrator is going to need to set this up and give you access, but you never have to bother him again. I have always had to re-activate my BES whether I load over an existing OS or wipe. I was always asking him to reset my password and he got tired of it and told me about this application. I've been using it for about 6-8 months and it works great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-10 07:46 AM
    That's great Drew! However, I'm not sure if it's applicable if my BES is located in a different country. Let me ask our BES admin if he's heard about this application or he'd rather be bothered by me regularly.

Actually I was just curious how just installing another OS over another without wiping activates itself to BES and wiping and restoring backup does not. I mean... what is it that gets retained or not that triggers the re-activation without needing the help of the BES admin?
    11-07-10 09:41 AM
    i always wondered is a security wipe the same as BBSAK's Factory Reset/Restore?

11-19-10 07:14 PM
    well.. I am loading new leaks and hybrids for quite a time now. I was always doing my upgrades without any wipes bbsak or secure wipes... Just loaded new os hybrid and restore device. Never had loading issues - some hybrids were better, some worse and i.e wb7.3 had good memory management (low leaks) but battery was going down very fast. After upgrading to v8 battery life was much improved - i would say best ever and memory leaks were quite good. I was quite happy with v8.
    Then, after reading this post i decided to follow the advice for bbsak and secure wipe...hoping to make it right and better.. Result? Complete disaster! Took me 2 days to restore that whole thing and make it to work. First after wiping/secure wiping bbsak would connect but wouldn't load wb v8 os - would just quit in the middle of loading with error message. So i went to rim loader trying to load wb v8 - same - error.... I went and wiped everything back and tried to load att original 4.6 os nope - my device became brick. Had no choice but to go to the local att service center and they have loaded their os. Once this was done i did what i was doing all along - loaded wb v8 on top and did selective application restore using latest dm (luckily i had few days old backup). After that, there was memo application missing.. It was showing on backup list and i tried to load it - said it was loaded but it wouldn't show. So i went to java folder and using bbsak loaded memo application ( .cod module) and it worked this time. After that of course i had to have it involved 2x to do my enterprise activation which they did not like it...
    And now i am back in operation but my memory leaks faster than ever.. Battery also seems to be draining faster than couple days ago. After rebooting, losing 12 mb in 4 hours or so w/o much using the device and keeps going down.
    Will reboot few times and see if it improves.
    Lesson learned: If it works ....don't @#$% with it.
    sorry abt ur situation..
    Question : Where is ur java folder and where do u locate these .cod module file!??
    01-03-11 09:23 PM
    Ok, thought I"d try it and see what changes I saw. First thing I noticed, my boot time is now back to being under 2 minutes!! It had gotten to the point where it was taking 5 or more minutes to restart after a battery pull!!

That alone made the extra bit of work worth it!
    01-03-11 11:39 PM
    Ok, thought I"d try it and see what changes I saw. First thing I noticed, my boot time is now back to being under 2 minutes!! It had gotten to the point where it was taking 5 or more minutes to restart after a battery pull!!

That alone made the extra bit of work worth it!
    I'm assuming that the sub 2-minute boot time is with OS6 and not OS5.
    01-04-11 03:15 PM
    I'm assuming that the sub 2-minute boot time is with OS6 and not OS5.
    I don't think the torch ever came with OS 5.

Willyboy,
    Thanks for the wonderful post. I'm going to try this sometime down the road after I've had my 9650 a little longer. I know I've heard of users swear by this, but I personally never took it to heart. Thanks to your detailed post I know more about the differences and the pros to doing this. I'm sure other users will find this very useful as well.
    01-11-11 08:02 PM
    well i must say thks for this,running better than it did

will see for batt usage

thks again
    teach me how to install hybrid ok
    01-16-11 08:50 AM
    anyone know how to get rid of push services... i jumped from os5 to 6 for my 9700 ...and i still get the rogers shop, zoom pass, mobile back up, Game demos and all that other junk
    01-30-11 02:56 PM
    i totaly agree with willyboy,as you can see when we format our usb drive, there are two options,quick format it takes less than a minute and if we do complete format it takes long time,which is better because it deletes all the information. on other hand when you quick format the information is still there and you can recover it with third party software.
    same thing applies here i guess
    01-30-11 03:24 PM
    Just a reminder, as plkcable pointed about above, the most important part of this process is doing a selective restore. After reloading the new OS, this is vital! It helps get rid of corrupt databases and your Blackberry will run so much more efficiently is you've never done one before!

Glad you all found this helpful!
    Do you have a list of OS Files to restore selectively for the device to work properly.
    02-25-11 06:17 PM
    I always do a Wipe device via BBSAK then selective backup, makes my phone feel snappier.
    02-26-11 12:35 AM
    And there you have it folks, if ML does it than it MUST be the right thing to do.
    In fairness selective backup can make a difference, but I've already explained why a wipe is an unnecessary extension of the required OS load time in the vast majority of cases.
    02-26-11 03:05 AM
    when doing a selective restore, is there a setting specific for icon arrangements? i'm so knit picky as to my icon arrangements and nothing drives me crazier than having to re-arrange all my icons and folders again after an OS reload. any tips is greatly appreciated. and ty willyboy for the useful thread =)
    03-02-11 08:04 PM
    when doing a selective restore, is there a setting specific for icon arrangements? i'm so knit picky as to my icon arrangements and nothing drives me crazier than having to re-arrange all my icons and folders again after an OS reload. any tips is greatly appreciated. and ty willyboy for the useful thread =)
    Yes- there are. Just found it last time while installing new hybid.
    I don't use the english language version, so it may be slightly different, but I believe it was simply called 'Composition settings' or something very similar.
    The best part was, that I first restored the settings, and only after that I installed my favorite theme. It worked! Then I installed my usual applications, and they went straight were they belonged
    Hope it helps. If you have trouble fining it, let me know, and later when I'm back home I can give you more exact description.
    03-03-11 12:52 AM
    In english it's called theme settings.

03-03-11 12:53 AM
    In english it's called theme settings.

I thought it was theme settings too but that has always failed to restore my icon and folder arrangements so I've concluded that that was not it.

PiotrJot if you don't mind being a little bit more specific, that would be great
    03-03-11 07:50 AM
    I thought it was theme settings too but that has always failed to restore my icon and folder arrangements so I've concluded that that was not it.

PiotrJot if you don't mind being a little bit more specific, that would be great
    Sometimes running or even having third party themes installed on your berry will prevent the theme config from restoring.

03-03-11 08:37 AM
    Sometimes running or even having third party themes installed on your berry will prevent the theme config from restoring.

Oh I'm aware of that. I always switch back to stock theme first, wipe, reload, selective restore, then reload apps. So I don't even have any themes installed yet and my icons are still a mess. If I'm missing something else please share =3

03-03-11 08:56 AM
    That is weird, have you tried an older backup?
    Some people say folder options also restore theme settings, but I've only ever had theme settings restore.

03-03-11 08:57 AM
    Ok so I just installed one of the BDHP hybrids and yay...my icons and folders didn't mess up ^_^
    03-03-11 09:11 PM
    sorry to bump this up
    what do you guys usually check and why?
    04-04-11 07:55 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD