this copied from another thread from post 271 jrome_j :...thanks

1 - Backup your BB
    2. If you haven't already, download and install the latest "released" version of your device from DMFM. (this will create folders discussed later).
    3 - Open up Finder and go to
    Library>Application Support>BlackberryDesktop>Device Applications
    There will be two folders, go to the folder that has a combination of #'s and letters. The other folder is your device apps.
    4 - Open up the Java/Hybrid file folder in another finder window.
    5 - Copy all the COD files from the Java/Hybrid folder and paste them into the folder that is labeled with #'s and letters that you opened up in the first Finder window. Make sure you "Replace All" when you paste.
    6 - Open up Mac DM and click on "Applications" in the top right hand corner.
    7 - Another window will open up, click on "Check for Updates"
    8 - Window will then minimize. Click on "Show Other Versions"
    9 - Another window will open up which might be blank or show another OS. Click "Cancel"
    10 - You will then see the window showing current OS. Click on "Start Update".
    11 - This will start uploading the OS files that you pasted in the folder with #'s and letters as well as your Device apps.
    12 - Grab a beer as this part takes 15-25 minutes to complete update.

BTW, We think the folder Device Applications is created when you install an OS on your device. So one approach would be to wipe your device. Connect to DM and install OS, and then do the hybrid updates as above.
    Last edited by Statman; 10-12-09 at 02:07 PM.
    10-05-09 10:59 PM
    Hey Statman -

Here's my question for you...how are you extracting the OS .exe file so you have access to the hybrid COD files to begin with? Are you extracting on a PC and then transfering the files to your Mac, or...?

Thanks man.
    10-06-09 11:10 AM
    Hey Statman -

Here's my question for you...how are you extracting the OS .exe file so you have access to the hybrid COD files to begin with? Are you extracting on a PC and then transfering the files to your Mac, or...?

Thanks man.
    All done on the mac side. I just downloaded the hybrid from another link in crackberry. then moved it to the application support location....I followed the instructions posted and it brought me to the right folder.
    10-06-09 01:09 PM
    Hopefully this all works IF .258 doesn't work out and I have to downgrade back to 4.6/5.0 hybrid
    10-06-09 03:30 PM
    All done on the mac side. I just downloaded the hybrid from another link in crackberry. then moved it to the application support location....I followed the instructions posted and it brought me to the right folder.
    OK, I'm usually not this dim when it comes to Mac related stuff, so I'm going to have to ask you to connect the dots for me a bit more if you don't mind...

1. Just so I'm clear, are you saying you moved the .exe file of the hybrid you want to load (in my case, the .230 file I downloaded from CB is called 9630-5.0.0.230.exe) into the application support location listed above?

2. My Library>Application Support>BlackberryDesktop folder only contains one folder called Artwork Cache. Neither the device apps folder or the folder that has the combination of letters and #'s referenced below exist on my Mac.

Any help/clarity from you on the above will be a huge help.

Thanks man!
    10-06-09 03:52 PM
    so here are the screen shots for steps 5-9 of the first post (my OS files were in user>Library>application Support>BlackberryDeskTop>Device Applications)
    10-06-09 04:00 PM
    I'm perfectly clear on steps 5-9. It's 1-4 that has me stumped... :/
    10-06-09 04:14 PM
    I'm perfectly clear on steps 5-9. It's 1-4 that has me stumped... :/
    so download the OS in this link. Expand it on your desktop. Place it in the device application folder inside:

user>Library>Application Support>BlackberryDeskTop

you can also download more recent OS updates and exchange them for the files inside the java folder (in the downloaded OS)...but that can be done later.
    10-06-09 04:43 PM
    so download the OS in this link. Expand it on your desktop. Place it in the device application folder inside:

user>Library>Application Support>BlackberryDeskTop

you can also download more recent OS updates and exchange them for the files inside the java folder (in the downloaded OS)...but that can be done later.
    Thanks man... we have different devices so the link you provided won't work for me, but at least now I know to look for a .rar file. I don't know why it never occurred to me to do that before...I suppose because I generally only see them as .exe files.

At any rate, any idea why my BlackberryDesktop folder is missing the two folders referenced in Step 2? If the device application folder is missing, should I just create one?

EDIT: Could it be those folders don't exist on my Mac because I haven't run a restore through DM yet?
    10-06-09 05:01 PM
    At any rate, any idea why my BlackberryDesktop folder is missing the two folders referenced in Step 2? If the device application folder is missing, should I just create one?

EDIT: Could it be those folders don't exist on my Mac because I haven't run a restore through DM yet?
    Not sure when the device application folder is created. I see no reason why you can't add it. I have run restore on mine, but again I don't know when that folder was created...
    10-06-09 06:14 PM
    Hi I'm a Mac user also and I'm unsure about steps 1-4...particularly step 4. What are COD files and how do I "replace all"? Thanks!
    10-06-09 06:15 PM
    Hi I'm a Mac user also and I'm unsure about steps 1-4...particularly step 4. What are COD files and how do I "replace all"? Thanks!
    .cod files are the code that run the Blackberry. they are found inside the java folder when you download an OS. In windows when you download the OS you can actually run it and install it on your computer. On a mac AFAICT, you download it, expand it and place it in the folder already described. If you download a hybrid, you can replace the .cod files in the java folder residing in the application folder and have those updated .cod files installed on your device. so for example if you want to remove VAD from your phone, you "cut" the net_rim_vad*** files and remove them from the folder. The next update of your device removes VAD from your device. Or if you want to upgrade certain programs like BBM, you replace the .cod files in the original OS with the hybrid BBM .cod files. I attached a picture showing the .cod files as an example
    10-06-09 06:37 PM
    I don't have a Java folder in the application folder.
    10-06-09 06:57 PM
    I don't have a Java folder in the application folder.
    then you need to download the right files...without the java folder you have nothing. Did you download the OS in the link I gave?
    10-06-09 07:16 PM
    Yes I did. Could you post it again just in case it was the wrong one?
    10-06-09 07:52 PM
    it's in post #8..it hasn't changed....
    10-06-09 07:59 PM
    I've downloaded it at least 5 times and it's still not working. When I try to open the file, it asks me if I want to open it with Desktop Manager, but I can't. I'm just really confused. I've tried everything.
    10-06-09 08:23 PM
    Download the file (again)...you need to expand (extract) the file (using an expansion app...I use stuffit)...that will leave you with a folder labeled with the OS...
    Last edited by Statman; 10-06-09 at 08:43 PM.
    10-06-09 08:37 PM
    Oh ok...I have no clue what that is :-/
    10-06-09 08:39 PM
    I can't PM you until I have 10 posts. So I'm going to be annoying and post 4 times.
    10-06-09 08:44 PM
    3 more posts to go
    10-06-09 08:45 PM
    Wow there are so many rules on this message board
    10-06-09 08:45 PM
    Ok done...sorry about that everyone!
    10-06-09 08:46 PM
    Can someone post a link to the latest Tour hybrid in .rar form? i can't find it anywhere.
    10-07-09 08:10 PM
    10-07-09 08:52 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD