At D9, HP's Leo openly talked about licensing WebOS in the same manner that I suggested to RIM in this forum of getting QNX onto non-RIM hardware to expand the QNX eco-system.

I am not a troll, but when the head of a DOW 30 companies saying it will openly license a proprietary OS to various other platforms (not just IT devices, it could be appliances, etc.) RIM needs to pay attention.

QNX will not establish itself as the 3rd operator supported mobile platform by RIM itself going against the likes of Microsft/Nokia and HP. RIM simply does not have the scale.

I love QNX and want to see it to be successful against iOS, Android, WPx, and WebOS.

RIM, please take this advise seriously. Peace!
    Last edited by qnxqnx; 06-01-11 at 08:38 PM.
    06-01-11 08:29 PM
    You do realize that QNX is out there for anyone to buy right? Its widely used in the world. Now if you are referring to the Tablet OS then I don't see what that will do for RIM. Keeping iOS proprietary isn't holding it back. RIM just needs to execute better.
    06-01-11 08:47 PM
    how many times are you going to post this?

No, you're right. RIM needs companies like Pantech to through QNX on their phones running 600Mhz processors and 256MB RAM. That would be great for showing off their OS...
    Last edited by Blacklac; 06-01-11 at 08:55 PM.
    06-01-11 08:53 PM
    well, the CEO of HP brought it up at the D9 conference (in the WebOS context)

A thread of the discussions of the forum has been what should RIM do now.

NO, I want Playbook specs in a phone form factor, and an eco-system of innovations that will create a vibrant QNX platform.

I agree RIM needs to execute better, but what if RIM does NOT execute on time, do you think operators continuing support will be there?

RIM still enjoys a large growing install base with corporate email and BBM users worldwide. But the cycle of innovations of the mobile computing world has outpaced RIM's so far. Is it not a reasonable subject to consider to add to the QNX alliance a few well-qualified hardware partners?? Balmer was on stage to express Microsoft alliance with RIM on Bing, and vowed to return. Why couldn't the spirit of software alliance apply to the specific high-end super phone area??
    06-01-11 09:44 PM
    Listen to CEO of Nokia is saying:

"I want Samsung to be successful in WP8, I want more than one hardware vendors to be successful in WP8, then we will have an eco-system, then we will attract the developers"

This is the competition's strategy coming from a very low install base, will this be another Android eco-system?

The video can be viewed here:

Videos – AllThingsD
    06-01-11 10:31 PM
    At D9, HP's Leo openly talked about licensing WebOS in the same manner that I suggested to RIM in this forum of getting QNX onto non-RIM hardware to expand the QNX eco-system.

I am not a troll, but when the head of a DOW 30 companies saying it will openly license a proprietary OS to various other platforms (not just IT devices, it could be appliances, etc.) RIM needs to pay attention.
    If you read that statement very carefully --- you will find that Leo is trying to say that HP is going to "half-a.s.s" their Palm acquisition, which wasn't his idea to buy anyway.

Buying Palm was a Mark Hurd idea, not Leo's. Leo was the former CEO of SAP --- he understands HP spending $14 billion to buy EDS a lot more. Wall Street is contantly telling HP to copy IBM --- stop selling PC's, laptops, tablets... --- and get into high profit margin software and consulting businesses. You think that Leo is going to care about a $1.2 billion Palm acquisition if he is contantly searching to buy the next big software consulting firm for $10-20 billion.

No handset manufacturer will license WebOS while HP is making handsets themselves. Yesterday's statement is basically telling the world that if the next couple of Palm smartphone launches are duds, then he is going to disavow the whole Palm acquisition all together --- like how Cisco drop Flip cameras. A couple of duds and HP will stop making handsets, "offers" webos for 3rd party licensing and quietly close down this chapter of Palm acquisition as a Mark Hurd failure.
    06-01-11 11:23 PM
    CEO of Nokia, Stephen Elop:

"It is no longer a battle of devices, it is a war of eco-systems"

The love for RIM should not blindside your visions for future competitive landscape, it is for the love of QNX that I am trying to get RIM to listen and make modifications to its competitive strategies going forward.
    06-01-11 11:26 PM
    CEO of Nokia, Stephen Elop:

"It is no longer a battle of devices, it is a war of eco-systems"

The love for RIM should not blindside your visions for future competitive landscape, it is for the love of QNX that I am trying to get RIM to listen and make modifications to its competitive strategies going forward.
    The eco-system argument means that app developers will program for:

(1) Apple iOS because it makes money to be in the iphone world
    (2) Android because these 3rd party developers have a mistaken open source belief
    (3) Microsoft because Microsoft is willing to shower 3rd party developers with money

RIM opening up their OS to other handset manufacturers won't change a thing.
    06-01-11 11:45 PM
    QNX is already in other platforms and systems. As a quote from their website:

The QNX Neutrino RTOS is known the world over for the ultimate in performance and reliability. Proven in everything from the space station and the world’s highest capacity router to millions of in-car systems, it brings capabilities to the mobile market that are absolutely unique.

QNX is already ahead of Nokia, HP etc. What we need is for app developers to understand and catch up. Rim opening up this system to other platforms is less of an issue as getting developers to understand and truly utilize what is a cutting edge technology.

Developers are building for current platforms because there is money proven in it, but there isn't money proven in the new QNX os system yet. I look at the architecture of QNX as absolutely amazing and games that can be developed on it would be phenomenal. Imagine how true and quick the response time would be when you are in a shooting game or a sports game...

Imgaine being able to run a 20 page full colour graphic powerpoint from your PB and hop on the net to get the most current info to back up one of your slides as you go through the presentation without a hitch in performance.

This is the processor that is key to these "super apps" that everyone is talking about.

Imagine, searching for your favorite band, pulling them up on Bing search, listening to their latest song and watching their latest video, download their newest CD, find out their tour schedule and then purchase your tickets, maybe make reservations at a nearby restaurant before the concert. All accomplished in 10 minutes during your lunch break!

While analysts and doom and gloom naysayers go on about the survival of RIM and about the lack of apps I think that Rim is standing upon a cutting edge technology that has been proven stable and powerful, exactly as Rim likes to build their devices. But nobody is taking a look at the bigger picture and at their acqusitions. Everyone is impatient for them to bring out the next hottest thing like Apple... or like Android...

I am not blind to Rim's errors and mistakes and they certainly can use better marketing but they are already ahead of the game based upon comments from Nokia nd HP about opening up their OS to other possiblilities.
    Last edited by Snick Snack; 06-02-11 at 01:01 AM.
    06-02-11 12:40 AM
    the only mobile device QNX is the Playbook - I advocate getting the speed of volume growth of QNX via more devices, either via RIM's own branding, or get other selective hardware partners to build QNX mobile devices.

This is the strategy articulated by the CEO of HP yesterday. And WP8 will be a multi-vendors hardware platform, and the reason Android was able to rise so quickly in volume was because Andorid was/is free.

One more year will be, in my humble opinion, too long for QNX to be viable in mobile computing.
    06-02-11 06:54 AM
    The eco-system argument means that app developers will program for:

(1) Apple iOS because it makes money to be in the iphone world
    (2) Android because these 3rd party developers have a mistaken open source belief
    (3) Microsoft because Microsoft is willing to shower 3rd party developers with money

RIM opening up their OS to other handset manufacturers won't change a thing.
    I disagree with (3), in fact, the (3) is currently RIM's spot to loose pending the success of OSx to QNX transition.

The BBM global users social graph is 30+ million in size, and it is dramatically under monetized. A lack of QNX phone hardware for another year will not help in widening the BB appeals beyond text based communication.
    06-02-11 07:01 AM
    RIM designed and built the Playbook, and the hardware is excellent. RIM controls the entire OS for all their devices and the knowledge is kept internal making the OS, and the intellectual property involved in the OS more secure. It is obvious that the TabletOS is not ready to be put on a phone yet, RIM is still working out the kinks with the Playbook. Once the TabletOS has all of the security certifications, functionality and stability to be able to replace the BBOS on phones, (AKA Highlander project) then they will put it on phones. Putting TabletOS on phones has nothing to do with RIM not being able to produce a device, and everything to do with the TabletOS not being ready to be a full BB phone yet.
    06-02-11 09:05 AM
    the only mobile device QNX is the Playbook - I advocate getting the speed of volume growth of QNX via more devices, either via RIM's own branding, or get other selective hardware partners to build QNX mobile devices.

This is the strategy articulated by the CEO of HP yesterday. And WP8 will be a multi-vendors hardware platform, and the reason Android was able to rise so quickly in volume was because Andorid was/is free.

One more year will be, in my humble opinion, too long for QNX to be viable in mobile computing.
    QNX is already used in the space station technology system, nuclear power plants, guidance missle systems, in-car computer systems etc. It is already on other hardware platforms.

You posted that Nokia and HP wants to do the same with their OS, going as far as putting it into fridges and I reiterate that QNX is already doing that.

What QNX/Rim is not doing at the moment is rolling it out into portable devices and sharing this OS with other manufacturers like Android is.

I doubt that Rim which have spent untold millions to acquire a company for it's RTOS would offer it up free to other manufacturers. I believe their bigger picture is have it in their mobile devices. I believe that these mobile devices which is slated to roll out for 2012 is meant to be compatible with LTE/4G networks which would require faster processors because of what LTE can do.

We may be clamouring for these new devices now, but we will not see it's true powers until we have a carrier network that can support that kind of speed and ability.
    06-02-11 11:44 AM
    It was not a strategy --- Leo was just answering a question diplomatically. What's he going to say? That buying Palm was not his idea and that the HP board picked him to be the CEO because he has experience with the software consulting business to transform HP into the next IBM by stop selling PC's.

No handset manufacturer will touch Webos because HP still makes handsets that compete with them.

Microsoft doesn't make handsets --- that's why licensing works for them.

Google makes basically a single handset model for Android developers --- and handset manufacturers don't even like that.

RIM cannot license their OS because RIM continues to sell handsets --- nobody will touch it. That's why Elop said yesterday that Nokia never entertain the idea to license blackberry OS.
    06-02-11 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD