You don't have to use AppLoader if DM recognizes it, however, in my experience using DM seems to cause more problems during install so I've gone to using AppLoader exclusively. YMMV

Go to Program Files> Common Files> Research In Motion then you should be able to find the AppLoader folder. Go into the AppLoader folder, find the AppLoader (there'll be a little icon that looks like none of the others in the folder) then double click on it. Follow the prompts from there and it will do all the work.

Good luck.
    Thank you very much! I found the files where you pointed them out and installed .246 via the apploader. Everything is up and running and seems to be doing ok so far. I was having problems with the Bis dropping when switching back from wifi with .141. Hope this update will fix that.
    09-27-10 07:52 PM
    I've had a lot of people PM me about not being able to find apploader - they're looking in program files\research in motion instead of program files\common files\research in motion. I've bolded "common files" in my instructions.
    09-27-10 08:22 PM
    Thank you very much! I found the files where you pointed them out and installed .246 via the apploader. Everything is up and running and seems to be doing ok so far. I was having problems with the Bis dropping when switching back from wifi with .141. Hope this update will fix that.
    You're welcome. I've done this SO many times over the past four years I don't even read the instructions anymore. LOL. I did that straight off the top of my head. I'm a nerd.
    This build is SO much better than .141. I think you'll be much happier with the Torch now.
    09-27-10 09:49 PM
    I just want a fix for the GPS issue in .225. Then I will be happy.
    What GPS problem? Mine works fine.
    09-27-10 11:27 PM
    I've had a lot of people PM me about not being able to find apploader - they're looking in program files\research in motion instead of program files\common files\research in motion. I've bolded "common files" in my instructions.
    Thanks for the links and instructions. I looked back and noticed it said /common files. I must of overlooked it the first time around.

No problems so far with .246.
    09-28-10 08:19 AM
    Normally don't post b/c there are a lot of newbie opinions/questions - I assume that's why CX is short and seldom in his posts but I know he knows BB's very well. Will prob get neg feedback or more newbie questions for this but I'm just trying to provide some enlightenment. BB owner's have the ability to modifiy OS's to match your needs but that's where it becomes difficult if you don't understand BB modules & cods. Leaked/Official BB OS's are bloated with cods you'll never use and not every BB user uses it for the same reason (note: even when you delete a native or 3rd party app, there are related OS6 cods that won't be removed but you can remove if you don't plan to use the native/3rd party app). 1 of the reasons why Iphone's are selling so well is because Apple allows only the basic sw to make it "EASY/WORK WELL" out of the box for basic smart phone users but ,generally , Iphone users use it for basic needs and jailbreaking really is only so they can add the basic features that BB's have had forever - THE ABILITY TO CUSTOMIZE.

There are a lot of BB apps that duplicate what native BB apps can already do and if it's an improvement then remove the BB cods and use the better app in place of it to save memory while increasing performance. There are BB cods that will never be used so remove them. I'm still sorting thru OS6 cods to see I can and can't remove.

I'm a professional sales rep with a mechanical engineering degree. I heavily use my BB both for work and personal and I want performance out of my 9800 to make my life easier. I control the BB. The BB does not control me. Technology should make us smarter and life easier.

I love my 9800.

Below is how I adjusted my BB for my needs and yes there is still the texting bug where you HAVE TO scroll down to the latest response in a conversation and when you reply it WON'T WRAP SCROLL so you can see what you're texting so I'm forced to scroll down to see what I'm texting. I hope the next OS will address this but I have adjusted to it AND ,yes, the distinctive rings/sounds for individuals are fixed. OS 6.0.0.246 is the best OS to date for the 9800 but I am sure RIM is working on the next improved leak.

1. SOCIAL FEEDS. Tried it/removed it. It's pointless because you still have to use twitter/fb apps directly to respond or post and I am not a frequent user of twitter or fb. I am a texter and bbm'r. Why add Twitter/FB/Social feed apps when the sites themselves will text you updates and you can easily access the sites using the rocking new web browser to look at pics???
    2. removed below cods that BB says is mandatory but it's not using BBSAK 1.7:
    2a. net_rim_bb_task _app (I use TODO Matrix Professional by RexWireless)
    2b. net_rim_bb_memo_app (same as above)
    2c. all of the net_rim_bb_nabsync (AT&T's wireless address book back-up - Why would you need this if you use DM for back-ups to Outlook? ie bloated s/w - You won't see this app in Setup anymore)
    2d. all of the net_rim_bb_help cods (HOW TO still shows up in Setup but doesn't do anything)
    2e. net_rim_bb_simphonebook (If you have a BB why would you save numbers on your sim card?? You won't see this in SETUP anymore.)
    2f. ALL net_rim_bb_implus_app (related files to Instant Messaging in Setup)
    2g. ALL net_rim_bb_message_process (related files to Social Feeds but they aren't automatically removed)
    2h. ALL net_rim_bb_vvm (I use Youmail which is still better than Google Voice's VoiceMail b/c it actually greets the caller by their name or company when you upload contacts)
    3. I am trying to find the cods to remove the video tutorials
    in Setup. It can be done.
    4. 3rd Party Apps installed
    4a. Beetag
    4b. Dropbox
    4c. edocrab (which I'm probably going to delete cuz it hasn't worked once and I instead use Amazon.com on the new web browser)
    4d. Cardstar
    4e. Shazam 2.5.2 (Yes it does work on the 9800. You have to manually install the cod and also have Shazam support transfer the rights to the 9800.)
    4f. Google Maps
    4g. Youmail
    4h. Google Voice
    4j. Berry Torch (It's like the iphone app that makes it a light)
    4h. PdaNet (finally available for the BB to tether easier b/c I can actually tether without it but PdaNet will make it easier)
    4j. BeamReader (PDF reader and still have Doc To Go)
    4h. BeamExplorer (I'm in the process of finding the correct code to the native FILE EXPLORER to delete.)
    4i. Slacker Radio 3.1.134 (Not the AT&T version b/c AT&T adds additional cods and ads slowing down performance)
    5. 482 Contacts in my address book
    6. Touchscreen Tap Interval @ 500 and Hover Period @ 200

I still have 309.8mb free and my 9800 works flawlessly.

Good luck.
    09-28-10 10:37 AM
    Normally don't post b/c there are a lot of newbie opinions/questions - I assume that's why CX is short and<<<SNIP>>>

Good luck.
    Informative post. How do I know/learn which COD files to remove?
    09-28-10 11:17 PM
    "net_rim_bb_nabsync" is this code specific for at&t or its active for gmail contact sync by BIS too ???
    09-29-10 05:43 AM
    That's purely the carrier sync app. All carriers that support the service btw, not just AT&T. Google contact sync is a BIS/BES service controlled on the server side.

"net_rim_bb_nabsync" is this code specific for at&t or its active for gmail contact sync by BIS too ???
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-29-10 at 05:49 AM.
    09-29-10 05:46 AM
    I find this version freezes a lot more than .225. As for battery, in gerenal the battery life sucks on the torch.
    09-29-10 09:17 AM
    I find this version freezes a lot more than .225. As for battery, in gerenal the battery life sucks on the torch.
    I am on .225 and the battery life is very adequete. I take the phone off the charger in the morning and it's at 35%-50% when I put it back on the charger at night (with moderate to heavy usage).
    But I close all apps, have screen brightness at 30%, and have most apps optimized for increased battery life.
    09-29-10 09:22 AM
    You have some other issues going on if you're freezing a lot - I never freeze since leaving .141. Maybe you need to reinstall.
    09-29-10 10:10 AM
    Am using .225 and the battery life is terrible each day, much worse than .141 for me. Am considering reloading .225 to see if that makes a difference. Before go through that, would like to learn from others if that's even a possible fix.
    09-29-10 10:30 AM
    All Links Dead re-upload
    09-29-10 12:12 PM
    Generally .246 is MUCH better than anything before it IMO.

That said it's not without it's quirks. Little things like menu glitches that I can easily back out of, but they need to be fixed in any case.

And... although noticeably improved in .246, mine is still dropping many more calls than my old Pearl 8100! Not good..........
    09-29-10 12:48 PM
    All Links Dead re-upload
    There's the daily download link request!

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!
    09-29-10 12:55 PM
    Any new leaks out to improve battery and some lag?

09-29-10 02:52 PM
    Normally don't post b/c there are a lot of newbie opinions/questions - I assume that's why CX is short and seldom in his posts but I know he knows BB's very well. Will prob get neg feedback or more newbie questions for this but I'm just trying to provide some enlightenment. BB owner's have the ability to modifiy OS's to match your needs but that's where it becomes difficult if you don't understand BB modules & cods. Leaked/Official BB OS's are bloated with cods you'll never use and not every BB user uses it for the same reason (note: even when you delete a native or 3rd party app, there are related OS6 cods that won't be removed but you can remove if you don't plan to use the native/3rd party app). 1 of the reasons why Iphone's are selling so well is because Apple allows only the basic sw to make it "EASY/WORK WELL" out of the box for basic smart phone users but ,generally , Iphone users use it for basic needs and jailbreaking really is only so they can add the basic features that BB's have had forever - THE ABILITY TO CUSTOMIZE.

There are a lot of BB apps that duplicate what native BB apps can already do and if it's an improvement then remove the BB cods and use the better app in place of it to save memory while increasing performance. There are BB cods that will never be used so remove them. I'm still sorting thru OS6 cods to see I can and can't remove.

I'm a professional sales rep with a mechanical engineering degree. I heavily use my BB both for work and personal and I want performance out of my 9800 to make my life easier. I control the BB. The BB does not control me. Technology should make us smarter and life easier.

I love my 9800.

Below is how I adjusted my BB for my needs and yes there is still the texting bug where you HAVE TO scroll down to the latest response in a conversation and when you reply it WON'T WRAP SCROLL so you can see what you're texting so I'm forced to scroll down to see what I'm texting. I hope the next OS will address this but I have adjusted to it AND ,yes, the distinctive rings/sounds for individuals are fixed. OS 6.0.0.246 is the best OS to date for the 9800 but I am sure RIM is working on the next improved leak.

1. SOCIAL FEEDS. Tried it/removed it. It's pointless because you still have to use twitter/fb apps directly to respond or post and I am not a frequent user of twitter or fb. I am a texter and bbm'r. Why add Twitter/FB/Social feed apps when the sites themselves will text you updates and you can easily access the sites using the rocking new web browser to look at pics???
    2. removed below cods that BB says is mandatory but it's not using BBSAK 1.7:
    2a. net_rim_bb_task _app (I use TODO Matrix Professional by RexWireless)
    2b. net_rim_bb_memo_app (same as above)
    2c. all of the net_rim_bb_nabsync (AT&T's wireless address book back-up - Why would you need this if you use DM for back-ups to Outlook? ie bloated s/w - You won't see this app in Setup anymore)
    2d. all of the net_rim_bb_help cods (HOW TO still shows up in Setup but doesn't do anything)
    2e. net_rim_bb_simphonebook (If you have a BB why would you save numbers on your sim card?? You won't see this in SETUP anymore.)
    2f. ALL net_rim_bb_implus_app (related files to Instant Messaging in Setup)
    2g. ALL net_rim_bb_message_process (related files to Social Feeds but they aren't automatically removed)
    2h. ALL net_rim_bb_vvm (I use Youmail which is still better than Google Voice's VoiceMail b/c it actually greets the caller by their name or company when you upload contacts)
    3. I am trying to find the cods to remove the video tutorials
    in Setup. It can be done.
    4. 3rd Party Apps installed
    4a. Beetag
    4b. Dropbox
    4c. edocrab (which I'm probably going to delete cuz it hasn't worked once and I instead use Amazon.com on the new web browser)
    4d. Cardstar
    4e. Shazam 2.5.2 (Yes it does work on the 9800. You have to manually install the cod and also have Shazam support transfer the rights to the 9800.)
    4f. Google Maps
    4g. Youmail
    4h. Google Voice
    4j. Berry Torch (It's like the iphone app that makes it a light)
    4h. PdaNet (finally available for the BB to tether easier b/c I can actually tether without it but PdaNet will make it easier)
    4j. BeamReader (PDF reader and still have Doc To Go)
    4h. BeamExplorer (I'm in the process of finding the correct code to the native FILE EXPLORER to delete.)
    4i. Slacker Radio 3.1.134 (Not the AT&T version b/c AT&T adds additional cods and ads slowing down performance)
    5. 482 Contacts in my address book

Good luck.

Good gig here with the run down that att address book is crap, thanks for the info, greatlly appreciated.

09-29-10 03:12 PM
    Any new leaks out to improve battery and some lag?

Not yet.

10characters
    09-29-10 03:13 PM
    I always delete the vvm and there's another v something file I always remove.

09-29-10 03:15 PM
    Thanks ! got it

09-29-10 08:52 PM
    This has yet to be my best Torch experience. The .246 update really changes everything! From the moment I fired it up after reboot, I played on the phone. WOW!! is all I can say!!!! Night and day!! Snappy browser, responsive (when scrolling the pages and anything u can scroll to!). Thank you to all hardworking BB leak searchers and posters!!!!
    09-30-10 02:05 AM
    I really don't like the battery life on .246. I'm dying for a new leak here.

Did I say I didn't like the battery life?
    09-30-10 06:14 AM

FWIW, I don't have any batt life issues. I was routinely at ~40-50% after 12 hour days with moderate use. (Screen set at 30% and I usually turn off WiFi and Bluetooth when I remember). A few days ago I got a clip holster with sleep magnet. Yesterday I didn't use the holster much (maybe two hours) and forgot to charge or holster the phone overnight. I was pleasantly surprised to see the phone still at 50% this morning with WiFi on all night. Haven't put it through a tough test yet, but I'm betting if I use the holster I could easily go two days between charges. Not sure why our experience is so different.

edit: I'm also running .246
    09-30-10 07:26 AM

I had absolutely HORRIBLE battery life with a previous install, while many others RAVED about the battery life with that version. You may want to try reinstalling .246. I'm thinking that sometimes there might be a glitch in the install which causes a drain(?).
    09-30-10 08:29 AM
361 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD