12-30-12 05:02 PM
198 ... 5678
tools
    Bold 9900 ATT....everything seems smooth so far...NFC and mobile hotspot still there (when enabling MH it says to contact ATT just like .694). Ill report more on battery and anything else I find.
    Is there any 7.1 build newer than 7.1.0.267 that allows you to access ATT mobile hotspot without additional charges? I want to update but would miss my free hot spot.

Thanks,

-Jeff
    09-27-12 01:09 PM
    I have noticed on my 9900 with this new .714 leak (carrier is T-Mobile) that when I turn on the hotspot, it seems to shut itself AND the WiFi off within a few minutes. Doesn't seem to be related to the non-use timeout in the hotspot settings...

I first thought the WiFi was crapping out and taking the hotspot with it but I now believe that the WiFi is functioning properly. Hotspot connects quickly most of the time but quite often when I try to connect a device to it, it won't connect. I take a look and lo and behold, WiFi and Hotspot have both turned off.

At other times the hotspot seems to work normally. For instance, as I am writing this post, it has remained connected for several minutes and all seems to be well. Haven't been able to identify a pattern for when this behavior occurs.
    As a test, turn off your Wi-Fi first before launching MH. See if MH still closes itself.

Also, have you tried doing a battery pull? Maybe BB just needs a reboot.
    Last edited by elite1; 09-27-12 at 01:20 PM.
    swalker2001 likes this.
    09-27-12 01:15 PM
    Is there any 7.1 build newer than 7.1.0.267 that allows you to access ATT mobile hotspot without additional charges? I want to update but would miss my free hot spot.
    IIRC, latest build you could use would be 391.

Hopefully someone will please correct me if I'm wrong.
    09-27-12 01:17 PM
    @swalker2001: as a test, turn off your Wi-Fi first before launching MH. See if MH still closes itself.

Also, have you tried doing a battery pull. Maybe BB just needs a reboot.
    Battery pulls are my middle name...but hadn't tried the other suggestion. Am going to do it that way for the next day or two and will report back if it seems to have made a difference. Thanks.
    09-27-12 01:18 PM
    Anyone tried updating Application Resource Monitor from AppWorld? Remember trying to do so on my last OS install and it kept popping up an error message about some index out of bounds every time the device booted up.
    09-27-12 01:45 PM
    OK, Installed and at the 24 hr. mark. I was previously on .523 and remained there because of it's stability, long battery life and UI speed and boot up speed.

-Wifi signal strength good
    -Battery at this point, fantastic
    -UI speed, super slick and extremely quick
    -When Bridged "open in new tab " and "open in xxxx's playbook" are still there
    -Mic, I'm with Rogers and never had an issue, still don't
    -Boot up speed is around 50 seconds, same as .523
    -Browser, vastly improved, with .523 the web page started loading immediately but I had freezing, checker boarding like crazy, plenty of lag. Now, the page doesn't load in the first second, it waits until 3/4 of data is loaded, however there is now very little checker boarding, no lag, pinch to zoom and page movement is slick and fast and double tap zooms every time without tripping a link.

So far, this update improves everything that was wrong with .523, especially the browser.
    Jeez, I hate to hear that! JK, but it really does rot to be with ATT with the damn mic issues. The long-awaited official 7.1 "upgrade" is less than meh -- poor battery life, poor browsing, spontaneous reboots. . . . but I know I should be grateful ATT didn't carry forward the mic issue just to mess with us. Hope springs eternal and I will continue to monitor other upgrades and hope. It used to be a sporadic issue, but some months back it seems as if every new upgrade (other than the official ATT one) each had the mic issue. It's my business account so I'm stuck. If it were my home service, I would have bailed already to another carrier.
    09-27-12 02:50 PM
    Anyone tried updating Application Resource Monitor from AppWorld? Remember trying to do so on my last OS install and it kept popping up an error message about some index out of bounds every time the device booted up.
    Yes I did.

This 714 OS came with ARM v1.0.0.23.
    After loading 714, I updated without issue to v1.0.0.35 from AW.
    09-27-12 03:52 PM
    So I must say, As a user with bell and updating to this after having 658 running for a few weeks, my findings are very enjoyable.

1. Battery life has improved drastically. 6% average drain per hour down to 2.6 is a huge gain for a rabid user such as myself, and it drains even slower that it did with battery saver mode on 100% of the time in .658

2. response of the os is great. very quick and snappy.

3. browser load times improved

3. less lag time running apps and refreshing news feeds

4. boot up time is about the same, but seems the responsiveness of the OS once it loads up is faster. Had a longer "wait time" period on the old OS before I could actually get things going

5. media card loading after boots is fantastically fast and much improved.

6. Memory leaks seem a lot better in this. I do A LOT on my phone through out the day as a remote employee and my various apps that I can't live without. Had to have quickpull reboot my phone nightly at 4am and noticed the last week my phone had been dropping in memory drastically when I checked the stats. Now there is little to no change. So mostly I am confirming what others have posted, but overall this update is great. So far this is very stable and I am not changing my usage at all on this build, in fact I would say I have increased usage with less worry about battery drain issues. Very happy as a high usage user with this update.
    Last edited by optikdementia; 09-27-12 at 07:00 PM.
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-27-12 06:00 PM

Thanks,

-Jeff
    Im using .428 which has great battery life and hot spot works fine on ATT. I am using a rogers branded phone though. Not sure if that makes a difference.
    09-28-12 12:57 AM
    The official 714 comes with v.1.0.0.24.

Yes I did.

This 714 OS came with ARM v1.0.0.23.
    After loading 714, I updated without issue to v1.0.0.35 from AW.
    09-28-12 02:02 AM
    Installed this software & lost my data connection. I do have a voice connection, but data is gone. Can't use bbm. The 4 white dots that usually appears beside the wireless signal meter is gone.

Reflash & problem persists. I will downgrade to .694 & see what happens
    09-28-12 07:59 PM
    Installed this software & lost my data connection. I do have a voice connection, but data is gone. Can't use bbm. The 4 white dots that usually appears beside the wireless signal meter is gone.

Reflash & problem persists. I will downgrade to .694 & see what happens
    Did you resend your service books? That's the usual culprit.
    09-28-12 08:48 PM
    Yes I did & it didn't worked either.

I reflashed .694 & everything went right.

I wish I could run .714
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    09-28-12 10:17 PM
    IIRC, latest build you could use would be 391.

Hopefully someone will please correct me if I'm wrong.
    I loaded up .391 and no more free hot spot. I guess it's onto .714

-Jeff
    09-28-12 10:19 PM
    Well folks I did downgrade to .523, I tried reflashing .714 but the problem persisted, including the unavailability of getting into my blackberry ID.

I'm starting to think that this firmware is buggy. I have flashed all the previous firmwares that have been posted with the exception of .714

If RIM makes it official I will go ahead & give it another try.
    09-29-12 03:51 AM
    I'm starting to think that this firmware is buggy. I have flashed all the previous firmwares that have been posted with the exception of .714

If RIM makes it official I will go ahead & give it another try.
    1) It's not buggy, it's User Error.
    2) RIM don't make OS builds official, carriers do... and it's been official for a while.
    Elite1 likes this.
    09-29-12 03:59 AM
    Jeez, I hate to hear that! JK, but it really does rot to be with ATT with the damn mic issues. The long-awaited official 7.1 "upgrade" is less than meh -- poor battery life, poor browsing, spontaneous reboots. . . . but I know I should be grateful ATT didn't carry forward the mic issue just to mess with us. Hope springs eternal and I will continue to monitor other upgrades and hope. It used to be a sporadic issue, but some months back it seems as if every new upgrade (other than the official ATT one) each had the mic issue. It's my business account so I'm stuck. If it were my home service, I would have bailed already to another carrier.
    Try the BL Hybrid based on OS .694 If you don't believe that you will see any benefits from using it this direct unedited quote from another thread may be of interest:

It looks like I picked a good time to explore hybrid options. This is my first hybrid OS and I have nothing bad to say about it. The high streaming drain rate on the official .694 is what prompted me to look around. With this hybrid I am almost back to .3xx drain rates while streaming and the OS overall is much faster. My wife and I have 9900's. Hers with AT&T official .694 and mine with this hybrid. Doing side by side comparisons really shows off how much faster the phone is overall. Thanks again.

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...-users-746299/
    09-29-12 07:42 AM
    1) It's not buggy, it's User Error.
    2) RIM don't make OS builds official, carriers do... and it's been official for a while.
    User error?

Well I've been flashing updates for a while to my 9900 without any issues. This is the only update that after been flashed is giving me a hard time. When I go back to any previous software from 7.1 or even 7.0 my 9900 runs like a charm (everything works great). Not even the official software from Telnor is working. I will stick to .523, 7.1 Bundle 1646

The only way I would reflash this software is if RIM release it to another carrier different from Telnor, otherwise I will let this one pass.

I know this is the best build ever... It's just not for me
    09-29-12 08:11 AM
    User error?

The only way I would reflash this software is if RIM release it to another carrier different from Telnor, otherwise I will let this one pass.
    Unfortunately so, as you seem to be the only one with that issue.
    RIM sends software to multiple carriers for testing, and it's down to the carrier to officially release it. It doesn't matter who the carrier is, the software will be exactly the same, and identical to this leaked version. Anyway if you don't like Telenor, then use official .714 from Cosmote, or T-Mobile UK, or Orange UK, as they have all released it too.
    09-29-12 01:04 PM
    RIM sends software to multiple carriers for testing, and it's down to the carrier to officially release it. It doesn't matter who the carrier is, the software will be exactly the same, and identical to this leaked version. Anyway if you don't like Telenor, then use official .714 from Cosmote, or T-Mobile UK, or Orange UK, as they have all released it too.

Phil i am on Orange and can't see anywhere that they have released 714?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-29-12 01:14 PM
    Phil i am on Orange and can't see anywhere that they have released 714?
    Sorry Andy, I misread the tweet from BlackBerryOS Updates. Orange and T-Mobile UK have released .714 for the 9790, not the 9900. Shouldn't be long before they do though.
    Cosmote have definitely released it for the 9900... http://berryshout.com/?d=3f5eb5da215...9b5f2faaa&l=en
    09-29-12 01:29 PM
    Sorry Andy, I misread the tweet from BlackBerryOS Updates. Orange and T-Mobile UK have released .714 for the 9790, not the 9900. Shouldn't be long before they do though.
    Cosmote have definitely released it for the 9900... http://berryshout.com/?d=3f5eb5da215...9b5f2faaa&l=en

cheers Phil. have downloaded this OS but have not installed it yet, not sure what benefits it will bring from my current OS. cheers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-29-12 01:37 PM
    I will re download from cosmote and give it a try.

I gaved the .694 from AT&T a try but wasnt happy with the performance.

Question:

I'm using Blackberry Desktop to upgrade. Is this fine? or I should use another method?

Thanks
    Last edited by henrickrw; 09-29-12 at 04:54 PM.
    09-29-12 04:45 PM
    I will re download from cosmote and give it a try.

I gaved the .694 from AT&T a try but wasnt happy with the performance.

Question:

I'm using Blackberry Desktop to upgrade. Is this fine? or I should use another method?
    There's no way to say this without sounding snarky:
    Why are you asking for help when you've shown you'll disregard advice from knowledgeable members, or dare I say, experts?

Maybe you had a bad download before. It's not the firmware itself.
    THERE IS ABSOLUTELY ZERO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DIFFERENT CARRIERS' RELEASE OF SAME OS VERSION, OR TO LEAKED VERSION.
    Only exception being different language packs, if available.

RIM makes all OS's and sends to carriers for testing. Carriers may or may not test each, and may or may not "release" each. Many reasons why they do or don't unrelated to being OS "good" or "bad."
    When carrier releases an OS, for most part what they're really doing is endorsing it.

AnywayÖ
    Uninstall previous download of 714 first using Control Panel\Programs and Features. Reboot PC for good measure. Re-DL 714. Use Loader, not DM, to load OS.

Follow Upgrade Guide I left on Page 3:
    Updated OS Upgrade Guide / Leaked 714 for 9900
    m.jeddy likes this.
    09-29-12 06:54 PM
    Thanks for the update pal... I reflashed .694 from AT&T & it register cool and easy. Running stable for now.

For some reason .714 is not registering. I would reflash it using the method you explained to me above.

I'm exhausted... Going to relax with a cold beer now.

Cheers
    09-29-12 10:15 PM
198 ... 5678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD