Not sure if this is a new feature but there is now an option for "voice guided search"

From the homescreen click on search, the same icon changes to "voice guided search"
    Um I don't know what are you trying to say but I've had that feature for both searches (phone apps n web search) and I've just checked it works pretty well and it was there even before os 7.1 came
    08-21-12 09:24 AM
    RIM release 7.2 already

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Are you serious ? Have they
    I'd be glad if you share it but I personally don't think they would so early.
    08-21-12 09:26 AM
    Just the usual... a new number, and a couple of new bugs
    That's what I was thinking this morning

Thanks RIM we still support you!
    08-21-12 09:27 AM
    anything new with this leaked OS?

Nothing new I found but its fast n quick when u do multi task and browser is much smoother n signals are both good (radio n wifi)
    08-21-12 09:29 AM
    Thanks!
    will install today
    You're welcome
    08-21-12 09:29 AM
    Installed this yesterday and noticed something this morning. Not sure if this has been the case on all builds, but when I digitally zoom in when taking a picture with the camera, the picture size decreases. So, a fully zoomed in picture ends up being 640x480 despite my camera being set to take large pictures (2560x1920).

I've never noticed this before and never really looked into it to be honest. I only happened to notice it today when I took a picture that was fully zoomed in and proceeded to email it. I was not prompted to choose a size to reduce it to when sending it as it was already very small.

Is this something that's been in place for a while and I have just not noticed?

EDIT: Apparently, this is the way it works and has worked for quite some time.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...anging-177377/

I'm quite surprised. This isn't a zoom, it's a crop.
    Last edited by shabbs; 08-21-12 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Found answer to my question.
    08-21-12 10:36 AM
    have installed this OS and one thing i have noticed is i cant view my unread emails from going into mail option, i have to select option the view all folder to see them

then when i exit mail and go back in have to do above again

is there a workaround for this at all?

08-21-12 11:38 AM
    I am hearing allot of conflicting info here. The media player issue, whereby pausing a song and unpausing will cause the music to become 'tinny' - that is bass drops out entirely - is there anyone who has had this issue, that can now confirm it is fixed? Again - Report if you had noticed this previously, and now see it fixed.
    08-21-12 12:52 PM
    Good, I'm glad we have a new release, even a leaked version which seems more stable, I wish someone could upload them to torrent it would be easy to download cause I am downloading it but its slow.
    I loaded this yesterday from Sprint's official 580, signal for me has been terrible as I have been roaming all day at home where 580 I had 3 bars at home. Going back to 580. YMMV.

Also quick question, when shrinking an OS, when removing the fonts, what function/capability exactly does this remove from the phone?
    08-21-12 02:01 PM
    Why would you be any different, Brian?

It's an OS bug... we all have it.
    I know it's a bug, and since I assume you wiped completely clean before loading without restoring a backup at all, it was the same way, read only autotext right? Before I load this, I'll need this clarification, if you or anyone has done so.
    08-21-12 02:05 PM
    And I just upgraded to the previous offical OS.

Oh well.

subscribed and will monitor the feedback.

Brap Brap
    08-21-12 03:30 PM
    I am hearing allot of conflicting info here. The media player issue, whereby pausing a song and unpausing will cause the music to become 'tinny' - that is bass drops out entirely - is there anyone who has had this issue, that can now confirm it is fixed? Again - Report if you had noticed this previously, and now see it fixed.
    I can report that I've had every official and leaked os 2 weeks after the Bold 9930 first came out, use my media player almost every day and have never experienced your described issue.
    08-21-12 03:37 PM
    I can report that I've had every official and leaked os 2 weeks after the Bold 9930 first came out, use my media player almost every day and have never experienced your described issue.
    Yes its fixed in last 2/3 releases, and also in this very same one
    08-21-12 04:01 PM
    I loaded this yesterday from Sprint's official 580, signal for me has been terrible as I have been roaming all day at home where 580 I had 3 bars at home. Going back to 580. YMMV.

Also quick question, when shrinking an OS, when removing the fonts, what function/capability exactly does this remove from the phone?
    Please tell me the full version of your phones OS, that you loaded yesterday

And when you shrink the OS and remove fonts, it just REMOVES fonts (Example: Arial, sans comic, times new roman) which ever you dont wanna install on to your phone, but basically you just can't remove the default ones or i don't think that would even work

In short, if you aren't a fan of changing themes and fonts like i'm not, shrink/remove them even if you don't do that i don't think it takes much of space at all, like inside 20 kb fonts, each.
    08-21-12 04:06 PM
    Installed this yesterday and noticed something this morning. Not sure if this has been the case on all builds, but when I digitally zoom in when taking a picture with the camera, the picture size decreases. So, a fully zoomed in picture ends up being 640x480 despite my camera being set to take large pictures (2560x1920).

I've never noticed this before and never really looked into it to be honest. I only happened to notice it today when I took a picture that was fully zoomed in and proceeded to email it. I was not prompted to choose a size to reduce it to when sending it as it was already very small.

Is this something that's been in place for a while and I have just not noticed?

EDIT: Apparently, this is the way it works and has worked for quite some time.

I'm quite surprised. This isn't a zoom, it's a crop.
    Well, when you take a picture without zooming it it will be taken at the full size you have selected or by default

How ever when you zoom it, it decreases the size and quality

So that's okay
    08-21-12 04:10 PM
    Well, when you take a picture without zooming it it will be taken at the full size you have selected or by default

How ever when you zoom it, it decreases the size and quality

So that's okay
    Heh. I don't think that's OK, but maybe that's just me. A true zoom (whether it be optical or digital) should re-size the cropped picture to the full dimensions. Every picture you take whether or not it is zoomed should end up the size you specify in your settings.

What baffles me is that I have only just noticed this now. Heh heh.

Back on topic, so far this OS has been fine for me. No issues with any of my nearly 40 apps...
    08-21-12 04:25 PM
    WOrd substitution!
    When I upgraded my foreign language word substitution entries switched to machine language and this version will not let me edit them! Has RIM deliberately locked word substitution?!
    On a positive note, Bluetooth is working properly again.
    08-21-12 07:17 PM
    Heh. I don't think that's OK, but maybe that's just me. A true zoom (whether it be optical or digital) should re-size the cropped picture to the full dimensions. Every picture you take whether or not it is zoomed should end up the size you specify in your settings.

Back on topic, so far this OS has been fine for me. No issues with any of my nearly 40 apps...
    Not necessarily. Digital zoom crops an image further from the resolution you specified. It wouldn't do you any good if it saved at the same resolution, because when you viewed it at the full resolution it's set at, it would look really pixelated. Just think of digital zoom as cropping the photo. Unless you're going to crop the photo anyways, to put more focus on a subject, you might as well take the full photo zoomed out and crop it later. That way if you change your mind, you can revert back to the full photo that might look better. The cropped image does give you the benefit of a smaller file, but the difference isn't that great.

Now if there was an optical zoom, the lense would physically move forward, the resolution would stay the same, and you would capture more data vs. the same (digital), but cropped. This isn't something that is specific to BlackBerry. I don't know of any smartphone that offers an optical lense. If they did, the phone as a whole would not be as slim and the lense would be detrimental to the battery since it would add another moving, mechanical part.

DSLR > Point & Shoot > Smartphone
    08-21-12 08:27 PM
    you might as well take the full photo zoomed out and crop it later.
    Yeah, that's basically what I'll end up doing I guess. This does seem to be the "way" cameras on phones behave. I don't recall my old Canon PowerShot P&S cameras (which had a combination of Optical and Digital zoom) doing this. The zoomed pics, even on digital zoom, were sized as per my settings.

DSLR > Point & Shoot > Smartphone
    For sure, no doubt. I'll leave my serious pics to my Canon EOS 7D + EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS II USM lens.

UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    08-21-12 08:43 PM
    Finally fixed for me. By far the most annoying bug I've experienced in a while as I use the media player daily.
    08-21-12 08:46 PM
    Please tell me the full version of your phones OS, that you loaded yesterday

And when you shrink the OS and remove fonts, it just REMOVES fonts (Example: Arial, sans comic, times new roman) which ever you dont wanna install on to your phone, but basically you just can't remove the default ones or i don't think that would even work

In short, if you aren't a fan of changing themes and fonts like i'm not, shrink/remove them even if you don't do that i don't think it takes much of space at all, like inside 20 kb fonts, each.
    The OS I quoted in my previous post. I am back to running the official 580 from Sprint with all the garbage shrunk out of it. This left me with an OS that was only 100MB where the original was approximately 280MB. If I shrink out the fonts, it brings it down to 82.16MB per my tweet sent from BBH when it was completed.
    08-21-12 09:17 PM
    The only font you must keep is Latin TrueType as many native apps use that as default. Also if you use Docs2Go for presentations, you'll need to keep the Times font as that is used as default in Slideshows. All the other fonts can be removed without any problems.
    zocster likes this.
    08-22-12 12:33 AM
    I know it's a bug, and since I assume you wiped completely clean before loading without restoring a backup at all, it was the same way, read only autotext right? Before I load this, I'll need this clarification, if you or anyone has done so.
    You assume correctly.
    08-22-12 12:35 AM

Maybe yes but this is different for this phone its just very sensitive n works as the way it wants not as you want it to

And good to hear that you don't have any issues at all after installing dozens of apps

And I can't believe it yet another release and direct sunlight issue exists for me
    08-22-12 03:23 AM
    The OS I quoted in my previous post. I am back to running the official 580 from Sprint with all the garbage shrunk out of it. This left me with an OS that was only 100MB where the original was approximately 280MB. If I shrink out the fonts, it brings it down to 82.16MB per my tweet sent from BBH when it was completed.
    I see, well that's good cause since its a carriers OS which is official and with a lot of stuff you just don't need, so yes just shrink what ever you don't want and keep fonts you want like phill said and you are good to go

I personally don't shrink OS I just don't install apps I don't want, everything else is fine and I've noticed that this release doesn't lags over app or switching app which is good
    08-22-12 03:33 AM
155 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD