06-11-12 09:48 AM
69 123
tools
    I don't blame you. I have loaded v.342 leak on my 9860 and has not had a problem since. I'm not sure what the issue is? Are you on AT&T too? I have checked the other threads and people seem to not have an issue with installing and using the leak.
    Yes i'm on AT&T which is why I inquired.
    04-25-12 01:50 PM
    I see Mobile Hotspot with a place to check the box, directly under the Wi-Fi option. When I select the box, it spins for a second and says connecting, and then a dialog box pops up the says: ! Activation Required - Mobile Hotspot is not set up for this account. Please call AT&T Customer Care. Would downgrading to 7.1.0.342 possibly solve anything???
    04-25-12 01:59 PM
    OK you also said you have a tethering plan so it should work. sound like it an AT&T issue & not the OS. I know if you don't have a Tethering plan you get that pop up.
    04-25-12 02:29 PM
    So do you think a downgrade to 7.1.0.342 would solve anything??? Is it worth taking the cahnce to go through it all again? Did I mention I am on an enterprise system? I have a buddy within my company that upgraded his, is on the same plan as I am, and his has been working flawlessly for a couple of months. He is on an older OS version though.

Is anyone else having this issue with version .402, or is it just my phone?
    04-25-12 03:12 PM
    In case anyone is wondering...

I reformatted and downgraded to v7.1.0.342_P5.1.0.276.
    Phone calls work fine now.

I was experiencing random reboots with earlier versions, which is why I upgraded. I'll have to keep an eye on that to see if it continues with the reinstalled 342.

I do not have hotspot activated on my account, and it doesn't work in 342 or 402. However, I did find that the hotspot *does* work with an earlier version:
    9860AllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel648_PL5.1.0.181_A7.1.0.205 .exe
    The only catch was that the hotspot would shut down after about 10-15 minutes. I assume ATT is polling their system periodically and stopping unauthorized use. I just had to start up the service to get it working for another 10 minutes.
    04-25-12 06:02 PM
    I dont know how anyone is getting anywhere near the battery life you all speak of. Im on Telus 4G, have Bluetooth on all the time for my PLayBook and Bluetooth visor mount and I have never since August got more than 6-7 hours...ever..I carry a spare Battery
    04-25-12 10:13 PM
    Looks like everybody that's using at&t handsets have problem if installing leak/unofficial OS unless the OS is an official one from at&t. Even my girlfriend's 9000 back then was an unlocked at&t handset, whenever i tried to install leaked or other carrier's official OS would experiencing a lot of bugs/problems. But if I installed the one from at&t it will runs smooth
    04-26-12 01:36 AM
    Looks like everybody that's using at&t handsets have problem if installing leak/unofficial OS unless the OS is an official one from at&t. Even my girlfriend's 9000 back then was an unlocked at&t handset, whenever i tried to install leaked or other carrier's official OS would experiencing a lot of bugs/problems. But if I installed the one from at&t it will runs smooth
    Like I said in my previous post, Had no issues installing leaks on my 9800 AT&T. Have not seen a leak on OS7 that hasn't had their shares of issue with the 9860. Now two member having call issue after the OS .402 is enough for me not to upgrade.
    04-26-12 09:44 AM
    I dont know how anyone is getting anywhere near the battery life you all speak of. Im on Telus 4G, have Bluetooth on all the time for my PLayBook and Bluetooth visor mount and I have never since August got more than 6-7 hours...ever..I carry a spare Battery
    First of all, the 9850/9860 isn't a 4G (LTE) phone, it runs on a HSPA+ connection. If you are seeing a "4G" displayed on the phone, that is Telus lying to you.

As for your battery, having Bluetooth on and connected at all times of course is going to be a drain on your battery. Try turning it off and going through a battery cycle and see how it effects you.

I always get a full day out of my phone, I don't use Bluetooth or Wifi very often. I have a few apps on my phone but always make sure they are shut down. I have my back light set at its lowest brightness, and my back light timeout set for 20 seconds.

Using Wifi over your wireless network will also save on your battery. Basically if you want the phone to last you need to be frugal with it.
    04-26-12 11:55 AM
    I downloaded the leak. I mainly wanted FM Radio but it wasn't in the leak. Sadly disappointed
    04-26-12 03:51 PM
    You will never find an update that will give FM radio as these devices were never made with the FM tuner inside.

Battery life SUCKS on this update. I have upgraded to every leak since 7.0.0.167 and i have never had the battery drain this leak gives me. I am getting 11-15% /hr where with 342 I got between 3-5%.

I cannot figure out why and I am reverting back to 342 tonight.

[EDIT] ok I started by looking at my apps and it seems weird but Google maps seems to be the culprit. Removed and battery life went back to below 5% per hr. Happy again...
    Last edited by Scooter68; 04-26-12 at 09:03 PM.
    04-26-12 06:08 PM
    You will never find an update that will give FM radio as these devices were never made with the FM tuner inside.

Battery life SUCKS on this update. I have upgraded to every leak since 7.0.0.167 and i have never had the battery drain this leak gives me. I am getting 11-15% /hr where with 342 I got between 3-5%.

[EDIT] ok I started by looking at my apps and it seems weird but Google maps seems to be the culprit. Removed and battery life went back to below 5% per hr. Happy again...
    even 5% is a bit high, I'm usually in the 3-4% range on battery drain, could just be that I don't use my phone as often as you though.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this leak. I don't think going forward I'm going to be updating though unless there is a major release with new features added. I've been loading all the releases and with the last couple I've noticed virtually no difference. I don't currently have any major bugs that are bothering me, so the hassle of updating will probably keep me away until something new and exciting is added (if it is).
    05-03-12 12:30 PM
    It's been almost two weeks, I guess all this time I had some issue on my phone, finally battery gets me to the end of the day, seeing a consistent 3.6% avg battery drain, way down from the best I was seeing of 6-7% on any previous leak or official update.
    Loved the media server feature, didn't see that before on .342, or any other. running my daughter's videos and photos on big screen tv is the best!
    First post here, always questioned the myth of improved battery life with every update, never happened to me untill this release.
    05-24-12 02:03 PM
    i've installed this OS, and didn't find anything different from .342..
    audio bug still present, and it really annoy me now..

however, i have 1 question..
    how can you guys get a 1-2%/hr battery drain? I already set battery saving mode to always on, install battery booster (don't know if this help).. but i always got roughly around 7-8%/hr.. I use the phone for browsing, checking fb, twitter, and music..

If i use the phone for browsing through wifi with mobile network 3G on non stop all day, i got an abysmal 29%/hr..
    Even just for non stop bbm, i got roughly 11%/hr

Yes, i can get a 1-2%/hr, but i can get that by mostly letting my phone sit on the table, and use it for just checking fb, and very very very light browsing..

Technically it's impossible for me to use a phone like that, i suppose only few people use their phone like that..

Now, back to my question, the problem is on my phone, or everyone else just use their phone extremely light to get 1-2%/hr?
    05-27-12 12:57 PM
    I installed 7.1.0.402 and found that my Permissions were no longer all settable to Allow. My Interactions -> Security Timer Reset was set to Deny and greyed out.

I am not, nor has the device ever been on, a BES. Factory Reset / Wipe and downgrading to 7.1.0.342 gets rid of this and permits me to set Security Timer Reset to Allow.

I upgraded and downgraded 4 times last night between .342 and .402 to confirm this with complete Resets to Factory between each upgrade and downgrade.

I acknowledge that having the Security Timer Reset option set to Deny is not the end of the world, but I have never had this happen on any BB (6 devices) and dozens of official and leaked OS's over the past five years.

It is "as if" the download package for .402 had an included IT Policy or something (although there was no indication of such). However, there were entries for WLM and Gmail on the Security Status Information Screen, and somewhere (I can't find it now), it had options to color-code my email messages (which sounds very 'Enterprisey'). A lot of options scattered about had lock icons on it with a lot of greyed out options.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone's Permissions for Security Timer Reset mysteriously greyed out and set to Deny, that is on BIS?
    05-30-12 01:03 PM
    I installed 7.1.0.402 and found that my Permissions were no longer all settable to Allow. My Interactions -> Security Timer Reset was set to Deny and greyed out.

I am not, nor has the device ever been on, a BES. Factory Reset / Wipe and downgrading to 7.1.0.342 gets rid of this and permits me to set Security Timer Reset to Allow.

I upgraded and downgraded 4 times last night between .342 and .402 to confirm this with complete Resets to Factory between each upgrade and downgrade.

I acknowledge that having the Security Timer Reset option set to Deny is not the end of the world, but I have never had this happen on any BB (6 devices) and dozens of official and leaked OS's over the past five years.

It is "as if" the download package for .402 had an included IT Policy or something (although there was no indication of such). However, there were entries for WLM and Gmail on the Security Status Information Screen, and somewhere (I can't find it now), it had options to color-code my email messages (which sounds very 'Enterprisey'). A lot of options scattered about had lock icons on it with a lot of greyed out options.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone's Permissions for Security Timer Reset mysteriously greyed out and set to Deny, that is on BIS?
    .402 does have an IT Policy embedded into the OS, possibly linked to the new Parental Controls security feature. Not only does it restrict certain permissions, but also locks the Firewall to enabled.

This IT Policy cannot be removed whilst still using the OS, this can only be done after downgrading. If you go to Options > Device > Device and Status Information, then type BUYR and scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll see that the IT Policy is Enabled.
    05-30-12 01:36 PM
    Thanks Phill. I didn't think of using BUYR to check for an IT policy (and since I downgraded, I of course now see Disabled) -- good to know.

And yes, I did notice that the firewall was enabled and had a lock icon on it; but I guess I wasn't as annoyed by that as the Security Timer Reset thing.

I'd never run into an official/leaked OS with a policy on it, so this was baffling. And I didn't see much discussion on it here, so I was wondering if I was losing it. Thanks again.
    05-30-12 02:31 PM

Did you perform a secure wipe after you updated your device with the new OS? This normally resets the battery in the device, I know if I don't do it my battery life doesn't work as well as before I upgraded the device.
    06-01-12 10:48 AM
    Did you perform a secure wipe after you updated your device with the new OS? This normally resets the battery in the device, I know if I don't do it my battery life doesn't work as well as before I upgraded the device.
    lol funny stuff
    06-11-12 09:48 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD