Regarding the Mobile Hotspot turning off... it's supposed to turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity. Could that be what some are reacting to? Or are you keeping it active?
    04-29-12 09:22 AM
    Regarding the Mobile Hotspot turning off... it's supposed to turn off after 20 minutes of inactivity. Could that be what some are reacting to? Or are you keeping it active?

Keeping it active. I'll connect and then 30 seconds later it disconnects or will not connect at all and then a battery pull fixes it temporarily. This did not happen on .163, .267, or .342.

I'm finally downgrading to .342 and soon as this post is posted.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    04-29-12 09:33 AM
    I am coming from .267 where I had terrible memory drain. After 12 hours I had 5% left. Now on .402 my phone has been on for 11 hours and I only lost 2.3 mb! I have 35% left! I played Pandora all day and used the browser, and have the same apps I had by the last OS. Really liking .402!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    04-29-12 09:53 PM
    As always is the case, memory seems improved when first upgrading. After a few days to "settle down" and after a few reboots, my battery drain and memory drain have spiked. Were these known problems with the new OS .342? I had OS .340 installed for a longer time and the drain on the memory seemed much less.

I was going to wait a few more days for the Official version from Verizon, but based on the glowing reports from the community on the leaked .402, I think I will jump on the leak and upgrade later today.

I appreciate any feedback. Cheers
    04-30-12 01:05 PM
    As always is the case, memory seems improved when first upgrading. After a few days to "settle down" and after a few reboots, my battery drain and memory drain have spiked. Were these known problems with the new OS .342? I had OS .340 installed for a longer time and the drain on the memory seemed much less.

I was going to wait a few more days for the Official version from Verizon, but based on the glowing reports from the community on the leaked .402, I think I will jump on the leak and upgrade later today.

I'd wait and see which will be the official Verizon OS or go with .342. I have a feeling .342 will be the official Verizon OS.

The day before I downgraded from .402 to .342, the OS got real buggy on me. Glad I downgraded back to .342. As of right now, no memory leak for me with .342.
    cdskidso likes this.
    04-30-12 01:13 PM
    It seems like it's not working for some. I just noticed that might be due to Battery Saving Mode. Do you use that feature?
    Battery Saving Mode is enabled set and set to "Start when battery power is at or drops below 20%". I generally plug in the device when I plan to use the Mobile Hotspot for an extended period of time.

BTW, I am "grandfathered" to unlimited Mobile Hotspot usage as a $15/month add-on feature.

UPDATE: I just found this in the documentation for the 9220 (I assume that the same applies to the 9930) -- it appears to explain what some are seeing:

About battery saving mode

Battery saving mode helps your phone conserve energy and extend the amount of time between charges. When turned on, battery saving mode monitors the battery strength. When your battery strength starts getting low, the application automatically adjusts some options in the phone. Some options the phone adjusts to extend battery strength include:

• Reducing the brightness of the backlight to its lowest level.
    • Reducing the length of time before the backlight turns off.
    • Turning on the option to automatically dim the backlight.
    • Reducing the setting for the Mobile Hot Spot automatic shutdown timer.
    Last edited by visortgw; 04-30-12 at 02:59 PM.
    04-30-12 02:37 PM

It will be more than a few days for anything official from Big Red. I have heard that they are targeting late June for a release.

As far as .402, it is by far the most stable OS for the 9930 that I have used!
    cdskidso likes this.
    04-30-12 02:43 PM
    Battery Saving Mode is enabled set and set to "Start when battery power is at or drops below 20%". I generally plug in the device when I plan to use the Mobile Hotspot for an extended period of time.

BTW, I am "grandfathered" to unlimited Mobile Hotspot usage as a $15/month add-on feature.

UPDATE: I just found this in the documentation for the 9220 (I assume that the same applies to the 9930) -- it appears to explain what some are seeing:

About battery saving mode

Battery saving mode helps your phone conserve energy and extend the amount of time between charges. When turned on, battery saving mode monitors the battery strength. When your battery strength starts getting low, the application automatically adjusts some options in the phone. Some options the phone adjusts to extend battery strength include:

• Reducing the brightness of the backlight to its lowest level.
    • Reducing the length of time before the backlight turns off.
    • Turning on the option to automatically dim the backlight.
    • Reducing the setting for the Mobile Hot Spot automatic shutdown timer.
    I turned BSM off and moble hotspot still didn't work. Only 2 OS's did this.
    04-30-12 03:04 PM
    It will be more than a few days for anything official from Big Red. I have heard that they are targeting late June for a release.
    Verizon is testing 9930 os's right now through May 15. Official release will probably be shortly after that.
    04-30-12 07:44 PM
    Not real happy with this build. Takes two seconds to open up an email. The last build (340) didn't have this issue. No other changes made and a few reboots and battery pull didn't cure it. Anyone else seeing this?

T
    04-30-12 10:33 PM
    Has anyone tried a radio swap, i seem to be getting pretty bad battery life with the 402 build.

Thanks,
    Randy
    05-01-12 07:37 PM
    Has anyone tried a radio swap, i seem to be getting pretty bad battery life with the 402 build.

Thanks,
    Randy
    I have not tried a radio swap, but I am actually experiencing much improved battery life as compared to OS v7.1.0.163 (aka VZW MR2).
    05-02-12 10:10 AM
    I have not tried a radio swap, but I am actually experiencing much improved battery life as compared to OS v7.1.0.163 (aka VZW MR2).
    Same here. Battery life is awesome on .402!
    05-02-12 12:21 PM
    I don't know why my bold has less bettery life than o.163...
    05-04-12 01:00 AM
    I don't know why my bold has less bettery life than o.163...
    Have a look at other factors. Have you initiated all apps after the upgrade? Check CPU in Application Management. It could be that you have something running in the background that maybe you can't plainly see. Go through each one of your apps one by one and make sure that they have been initiated and the settings are correct. Also, have you done 3-5 battery pulls to get the os "settled in" as they say? If the majority of user have good battery stories with this os......? Good luck my friend and please post back with anything you discover.
    05-04-12 04:12 AM
    hey guys! ive had this build installed for a day now and it definitely seems snappier! I actually forgot to remove the vendor file before installing. should i reinstall? thanks in advanced!!
    05-09-12 10:11 AM
    hey guys! ive had this build installed for a day now and it definitely seems snappier! I actually forgot to remove the vendor file before installing. should i reinstall? thanks in advanced!!
    No need to remove the vendor.xml file(s) if the OS successfully installed -- they need to be removed when the Desktop Manager or AppLoader don't recognize the OS as valid for your device.
    05-09-12 10:15 AM
    I highly doubt the OS installed correctly without removing the vendor file(s). The device would�ve nuked. Either way, after a few days you�ll probably want to downgrade to .342.

No need to remove the vendor.xml file(s) if the OS successfully installed -- they need to be removed when the Desktop Manager or AppLoader don't recognize the OS as valid for your device.
    Exactly.
    05-09-12 10:22 AM
    ok... so should i or shouldnt i reinstall? its working perfect.
    05-09-12 11:06 AM
    I have an interesting observation. With the new 7.1 OSes, I continued to get erratic charging behaviour from my 9930. Most days, the charge would end at 95%. On some days, it just does not charge and the battery has even been drained off overnight once when the phone was placed on the dock.

I went overseas several times recently and found that the phone would charge to full if I were to charge it using the micro USB port. When it's put on the dock, that's when strange things happen. I've been alternating charging methods the past few days and have been able to replicate my observations every single time.
    05-09-12 11:08 AM
    ok... so should i or shouldnt i reinstall? its working perfect.
    You'll be fine. Are you sure you have .402 installed?

Go to options-> device->about device versions... line 3 should have v7.1.0.402 in the middle somewhere.
    05-09-12 11:11 AM
    I have an interesting observation. With the new 7.1 OSes, I continued to get erratic charging behaviour from my 9930. Most days, the charge would end at 95%. On some days, it just does not charge and the battery has even been drained off overnight once when the phone was placed on the dock.

I went overseas several times recently and found that the phone would charge to full if I were to charge it using the micro USB port. When it's put on the dock, that's when strange things happen. I've been alternating charging methods the past few days and have been able to replicate my observations every single time.
    I had irregular charging patterns too. One of the few reasons I downgraded back to .342. I took my 9930 of the charger one morning and the meter read 85%.

Solution: change OS.
    05-09-12 11:13 AM
    402 works perfectly for me, save for the charging problem which I now know how to get around. 340/342 was also good for me. Anything else was unstable.
    05-09-12 11:24 AM
    402 works perfectly for me, save for the charging problem which I now know how to get around. 340/342 was also good for me. Anything else was unstable.
    Does Mobile Hotspot work for you? If so, turn the connection off, then turn it back on. Mine didn't work when i turned it back on until I did a physical battery pull.
    05-09-12 11:36 AM
    yup, i have .402 installed
    05-09-12 11:44 AM
175 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD