I finally took the plunge and upgrade my OS from 7.1.205 to 7.1.342.
    I use the AppLoader method and here is what I have to report :
    1. No need to backup data and 3rd party apps, the AppLoader method has option to back it up and restore in 1 swoop
    2. No need to use BBSAK to backup 3rd party apps , see above
    3. My BES activation transfer also, no need to reactivate
    4. All my service books from ATT also restored properly
    5. When I first boot up, I have 140 MB free memory, previously I only have 120 Mb free with .205

I will report any memory leak here , so far it's been pretty smooth and fast .
    04-07-12 09:59 PM
    1. No need to backup data and 3rd party apps, the AppLoader method has option to back it up and restore in 1 swoop
    5. When I first boot up, I have 140 MB free memory, previously I only have 120 Mb free with .205

Please do, as this has been one of the reason for not updating..
    04-08-12 12:05 AM

BES activation can not happen through Aploader.
    04-08-12 05:06 AM
    BES activation can not happen through Aploader.
    Yes, there is no BES activation option in AppLoader.
    My Torch was already BES activated from .205 so when AppLoader did the upgrade, to .342, I do not have to do another BES activation
    So far so good, 24 hours my memory went down from 140 MB to 135 MB
    Last edited by wtfdc; 04-08-12 at 02:29 PM.
    04-08-12 02:12 PM
    Yes, there is no BES activation option in AppLoader.
    My Torch was already BES activated from .205 so when AppLoader did the upgrade, to .342, I do not have to do another BES activation
    So far so good, 24 hours my memory went down from 140 MB to 135 MB
    Not sure what kind of BES you have, but BES should automatically disconnect you when you load a new OS, and should require you to reconnect. Reloading the OS should remove the BES policies and force disconnect. I've heard of 1 or 2 policies remaining on a reloaded BB but never a full BES activation. Perhaps if done through Desktop Manager while on your office network the BES policy was re-pushed seamlessly over the network when loading the new OS.

But in my experience, this is not usual.
    04-09-12 09:59 AM
    Not sure what kind of BES you have, but BES should automatically disconnect you when you load a new OS, and should require you to reconnect. Reloading the OS should remove the BES policies and force disconnect. I've heard of 1 or 2 policies remaining on a reloaded BB but never a full BES activation. Perhaps if done through Desktop Manager while on your office network the BES policy was re-pushed seamlessly over the network when loading the new OS.

But in my experience, this is not usual.
    My company's BES policy is for password screen enforcement, need to change every 3 months , also to connect to my company's email .
    I remember when I first received this Torch, going thru the Enterprise Activation option and inputting a password that was generated by my IT's ,
    Like I said above, this upgrade does not need me to reinput and reactivate my Enterprise (BES) activation ,, everything is automatic and seamless
    04-09-12 05:30 PM
    This needs to be a sticky since it is the newest and official?

The sticky for the 9850 now is REAL OLD.

Tim
    04-09-12 07:05 PM
    I can't answer any of your questions about BES connections since I don't use my 9850 for work, but I can tell you that the battery life improvement has been much improved. This version added the Battery Saving Mode which I set to be "Always On". Note that I normally always leave Bluetooth and WiFi on unless I know I'm not going to use them.

That said, I fully charged it and pulled it off the charger at 7:00 am yesterday (Monday) and I actually forced myself to use my phone alot more than I usually do (watching some videos, browsing even when I don't need to, etc.) and the phone is currenty at 15% power remaining and it's 10:30 am - about 27.5 hours of use so far. Normally I need to charge up by the time I go to bed at around midnight, so this is a big improvement.

As for memory, I have QuickPull automatically reboot at 3:00 am daily. Usually there is a significant improvement after the reboot (as reported by QuickPull). This morning that improvement was fairly minor. I just did another QP and the memory was 143.7MB before; 161.0MB after. About the same as it always does. Probably not much change there.

I'd say this new upgrade is a nice step in the right direction and I haven't seen anything negative yet.
    04-10-12 12:33 PM
    My company's BES policy is for password screen enforcement, need to change every 3 months , also to connect to my company's email .
    I remember when I first received this Torch, going thru the Enterprise Activation option and inputting a password that was generated by my IT's ,
    Like I said above, this upgrade does not need me to reinput and reactivate my Enterprise (BES) activation ,, everything is automatic and seamless
    Totally agree with the BES activation being automatic and seamless - when the phone reconnects to the network after update it automatically reactivates BES for me too and has done since my first Storm
    04-11-12 04:04 PM
134 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD