Something I am thankful for on this new OS. With every prior upgrade, I still had the problem of AT&T Address book being the only option for my contacts. With .258 I was able to choose Outlook for my contacts!! Now that constant source of frustration has been removed for me.
    Blackberry Protect will store and replace your contacts. Every day if you like. As for the AT&T Address that only has an on switch and no off button, remove it from your phone with BBSAK.

First make sure your contacts are backed up on your computer and with Blackberry Protect.

Clear your contact list:
    Go to your Address Book
    Bring up the "Menu"
    Select "Options"
    Type RSET <~~Yes, its in CAPS.

Use BBSAK to remove These .COD Files:
    net_rim_bb_nabsync.cod
    net_rim_bb_nabsync_102.cod
    net_rim_bb_nabsync_resource.cod
    net_rim_bb_nabsync_resources_102.cod

LOL, my post usually go unnoticed. But, I don't sweat it. I just posted my latest numbers on another thread and linked back to Meccas' comments about the battery starting on page 23. Hopefully others will read and follow his directives. Got nothing to lose. If something as simple as totally draining the battery and slow charging (charging from my laptop) can make that big a difference on my BB, then why not just follow it and not overthink the process? Sometimes, simple works.
    Its a Lithium-Ion Polymer battery. Its an intelligent battery. Killing it doesn't make it charge better. it only makes it die of old age quicker.

Why not get a charger that charges the phone slower. My Wife and I have been using these Nokia chargers and they work great. Last week she started keeping the phone on the kitchen counter instead of next to the bed.

Nokia AC-6U is next to the bed. 9810 has been making it all day (8am - 10pm) for months.

BB USB is on the kitchen counter. 9810 has been dying before she gets home from work (8am - 4pm) for about a week.

I dont argue with people about chargers anymore. I just do what works. Its 5 friggin dollars, it charges slower than the BB unit, and the cord is 6 feet long. What else do you have to know?

Amazon.com: OEM Nokia AC-6U Micro-USB Travel Charger for Nokia 1006 1606 2605 Mirage 3606 6205 6500 Classic 7205 N85 N97 8800 Arte and 8600 Luna: Cell Phones & Accessories
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-24-12 at 09:19 PM.
    02-24-12 09:13 PM
    Can someone who is running this build (.258) confirm the version of Social Feeds on this build??
    02-24-12 11:30 PM
    Blackberry Protect will store and replace your contacts. Every day if you like. As for the AT&T Address that only has an on switch and no off button, remove it from your phone with BBSAK.

First make sure your contacts are backed up on your computer and with Blackberry Protect.

Clear your contact list:
    Go to your Address Book
    Bring up the "Menu"
    Select "Options"

net_rim_bb_nabsync.cod

Its a Lithium-Ion Polymer battery. Its an intelligent battery. Killing it doesn't make it charge better. it only makes it die of old age quicker.

Why not get a charger that charges the phone slower. My Wife and I have been using these Nokia chargers and they work great. Last week she started keeping the phone on the kitchen counter instead of next to the bed.

Nokia AC-6U is next to the bed. 9810 has been making it all day (8am - 10pm) for months.

BB USB is on the kitchen counter. 9810 has been dying before she gets home from work (8am - 4pm) for about a week.

I dont argue with people about chargers anymore. I just do what works. Its 5 friggin dollars, it charges slower than the BB unit, and the cord is 6 feet long. What else do you have to know?

Amazon.com: OEM Nokia AC-6U Micro-USB Travel Charger for Nokia 1006 1606 2605 Mirage 3606 6205 6500 Classic 7205 N85 N97 8800 Arte and 8600 Luna: Cell Phones & Accessories
    LOL, I have two 9800s and two 9810s in our house. So, I'm not worried about the batteries. I just don't like to carry an extra around just in case. I also gave up the argument about charging the battery and usually ignore the thread when I see the question.. But, thanks for the tip on the charger. I'll order one tomorrow.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810: OS .258 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 02-25-12 at 12:01 AM.
    02-24-12 11:41 PM
    Can someone who is running this build (.258) confirm the version of Social Feeds on this build??

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-24-12 11:52 PM
    LOL, I have two 9800s and two 9810s in our house. So, I'm not worried about the batteries. I just don't like to carry an extra around just in case. I also gave up the argument about charging the battery and usually ignore the thread when I see the question.. But, thanks for the tip on the charger. I'll order one tomorrow.

Looks like one guy didnt like his because he bought a charger that didnt fit his phone.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nokia Original Micro USB Travel Charger

I bought 3 when I ordered mine since we have 2 berry's and one for a spare. Cat chewed up the cord on my first one after a week or two, little rat fink muther.
    02-25-12 12:21 AM

I just ordered 2 -- One for home and one to go in my laptop bag. They're down to $2.99 apiece.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-25-12 12:22 AM
    I'll get two so mine will not come up missing or something "accidently" happens to it.
    02-25-12 12:28 AM
    Yeah, for 3 bucks a piece having a cord long enough to reach a table top is worth it. having extra hours on your berry is a fringe benefit.

I get the USB thing, 2 cords in one to save money. 3 FEET LONG????? What am I supposed to do? Plug the phone in UNDER THE TABLE???

Jim & Steve, Burt & Ernie, Tom & Jerry, Abbot & Costello, Frick & Frack, what a couple of numbnutz, I found out a monster company is ditching BB today.
    02-25-12 12:33 AM
    Yeah, for 3 bucks a piece having a cord long enough to reach a table top is worth it. having extra hours on your berry is a fringe benefit.

I get the USB thing, 2 cords in one to save money. 3 FEET LONG????? What am I supposed to do? Plug the phone in UNDER THE TABLE???

Jim & Steve, Burt & Ernie, Tom & Jerry, Abbot & Costello, Frick & Frack, what a couple of numbnutz, I found out a monster company is ditching BB today.
    Ordered. Now, what company
    02-25-12 12:56 AM
    Buy only very low tables?
    02-25-12 01:48 AM

Clear your contact list:
    Go to your Address Book
    Bring up the "Menu"
    Select "Options"

net_rim_bb_nabsync.cod

I LOL'ed when you said "intelligent battery". As far as the market is concerned, there's no such thing. These batteries are as dumb as 2 sticks dipped in nitro glycerin, and handed to Daffy Duck. These batteries ARE attached to circuitry, which regulates the charge/discharge cycles, according to temp...don't know how smart that is because the circuit still depends on the host power supply.

Slow charging from an output of 2.5v in effect, reduces the batteries core temperature, increasing the amount of electrons it can hold - low temp, more juice...right?

As you've pointed out, you can get a wall charger that supplies a reduced output than the factory charger. No doubt. Shoot, I can just plug up my phone and stick it in the freezer.

The point here was to point out a little known fact about battery tech. A full discharge, ONCE, will have the temp circuit ready to accept a low-temp charge.

In case the batt-circuit has additional features - ours have to be recognized by our phones, hence the reason for the 4 tabs on the battery (the 2 outer is the battery, the 2 inner is the circuitry) - I'm willing to gamble on there being some sort of "this is how you normally charge" remembering do-hickey, as part of the circuit...

Intelligent battery...bwahahahahaha!!!
    Last edited by Mecca EL; 02-25-12 at 05:00 PM.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-25-12 04:56 PM
    I LOL'ed when you said "intelligent battery". As far as the market is concerned, there's no such thing. These batteries are as dumb as 2 sticks dipped in nitro glycerin, and handed to Daffy Duck. These batteries ARE attached to circuitry, which regulates the charge/discharge cycles, according to temp...don't know how smart that is because the circuit still depends on the host power supply.

Slow charging from an output of 2.5v in effect, reduces the batteries core temperature, increasing the amount of electrons it can hold - low temp, more juice...right?

As you've pointed out, you can get a wall charger that supplies a reduced output than the factory charger. No doubt. Shoot, I can just plug up my phone and stick it in the freezer.

The point here was to point out a little known fact about battery tech. A full discharge, ONCE, will have the temp circuit ready to accept a low-temp charge.

In case the batt-circuit has additional features - ours have to be recognized by our phones, hence the reason for the 4 tabs on the battery (the 2 outer is the battery, the 2 inner is the circuitry) - I'm willing to gamble on there being some sort of "this is how you normally charge" remembering do-hickey, as part of the circuit...

Intelligent battery...bwahahahahaha!!!
    Yeah, I know what the 2 extra leeds are for and how that works. The post was long enough without explaining all that extranious crap.
    02-26-12 12:54 PM
    My phone is not getting charged

Its showing battery full at 10% :|

EDIT: I changed my charger. Its fine now
    Faulty charger I had

Does using a samsung charger affect the battery?
    Last edited by rgshah3; 02-26-12 at 01:31 PM.
    02-26-12 01:11 PM
    so another good batt day yesterday....almost 15 hours before i had to plug in. .258 seems to give me the boost in batt life that ive been looking for which is awesome. .190 can kiss my a**
    Blacklatino likes this.
    02-26-12 03:03 PM
    so another good batt day yesterday....almost 15 hours before i had to plug in. .258 seems to give me the boost in batt life that ive been looking for which is awesome. .190 can kiss my a**
    Congrats on getting better battery life! Funny how some dismiss it as "-hum" now, but, have been complaining about poor battery life for just about every build that been leaked or released for this device. Not everyone has been getting 15 hours and definitely not 30 out of a single charge.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 02-26-12 at 04:34 PM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-26-12 03:24 PM
    Congrats on getting better battery life! Funny how some dismiss it as " hum" now, but, have been complaining about poor battery life for just about every build that been leaked or released for this device. Not everyone has been getting 15 hours and definitely not 30 out of a single charge.
    oh trust me, this is a huge relief for me, now i dont have to worry about packing a wallcharger and looking for an outlet to plug it into during the day. small things make a huge difference, but this will have a great positive impact on my workdays for sure
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-26-12 04:27 PM
    My phone is not getting charged

Its showing battery full at 10% :|

EDIT: I changed my charger. Its fine now
    Faulty charger I had

Does using a samsung charger affect the battery?
    As long as its 5volts and doesn't charge super fast it should be fine. Your original charger should have a number on it somewhere like 850mAh. If the corresponding number on your samsung is less than that's cool. The older style BB chargers with the folding blades were 750mAh and the Nokia I recommended is approx 550mAh. The lower the number the slower the charge.

We put my Wifes 9810 back on the Nokia since I posted about the Nokia, now the phone is at about 75% at 8pm with lite use. With the BB (USB Mushroom ) it was dying at about 4pm with light use. If you have been using the "Mushroom" for a long time it may have cripped your battery so saying "The Nokia made no difference" isn't realistic.

That Lithium-Ion Polymer battery has a charge pattern. It doesn't trickle like an old Ni-Cad. When its full, it stops charging, then when it drops to a certain level it begins charging again. After its full it hops up and down all night when you sleep. Every hop charged too quickly shortens the life of your battery. Its not a one time per day thing, its everytime it re-charges after being fully charged the first time. Also the initial charge at high speed helped to damage the health of the battery.

I bought 3 more of the Nokia's, I'm putting them all over the house and I will have a spare or two.

I don't know why RIM put those crap chargers in the box but the 2 numbnutz were still in charge so anything is possible.

This may also be why people report less than a 100% charge when its been sitting on the charger for a long time. It may also be the reason the phone wants to be unpluged when its fully charged. If you use the "Power Off" Software Button when you place it on the charger the led will change color when the battery is full.

Last edited by olblueyez; 02-27-12 at 01:43 PM.
    02-27-12 01:27 PM
    USB Mushroom?
    02-27-12 03:05 PM
    USB Mushroom?
    02-27-12 06:03 PM
    Empty your Recycle Bin and check under User\user_name\appdata for another copy. Always delete VENDOR.XML with Shift+Delete
    Been gone/busy for a few days, but wanted to come back & report - and say thanks! There WAS another vendor.xml hidden away in a second location under Documents & Settings/user_name/Application-Data. I thought I had read that this only happened on Vista/Win7, and have never seen this happen before on XP with beta updates to 4.x, 5.x, 6.x and 7.0, but it definitely happened with this 7.1 update! Deleted that one, installed .258 Friday on my wife's new 9810, so far so good!

On another note, the battery discussion from Mecca and others is VERY helpful, I think it should be broken out of this thread and posted as a separate thread so those not specifically trying to install 7.1.0.258 on a 9810 can find the useful info!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-28-12 12:11 PM

As long as its 5volts and doesn't charge super fast it should be fine. Your original charger should have a number on it somewhere like 850mAh. If the corresponding number on your samsung is less than that's cool. The older style BB chargers with the folding blades were 750mAh and the Nokia I recommended is approx 550mAh. The lower the number the slower the charge.
    Interesting... Let me add a little more information. I have a MicroUSB charger which looks similar to the Nokia one which came with my Plantronics Discovery 975 headset. Every time I try it with a 9800 or 9810, I get a message on the BB saying "The charging source connected to your BlackBerry cannot charge the battery." I just picked up that charger and looked at its markings - it says its 5V, 350mA. So, slower is good, but only to a point. 550mA is "appropriately slow" and good for the battery. 350mA is TOO slow and the phone refuses to charge from it. Somewhere between those two numbers apparently lies the trip point below which your BB will refuse to charge.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-28-12 12:33 PM
    Interesting... Let me add a little more information. I have a MicroUSB charger which looks similar to the Nokia one which came with my Plantronics Discovery 975 headset. Every time I try it with a 9800 or 9810, I get a message on the BB saying "The charging source connected to your BlackBerry cannot charge the battery." I just picked up that charger and looked at its markings - it says its 5V, 350mA. So, slower is good, but only to a point. 550mA is "appropriately slow" and good for the battery. 350mA is TOO slow and the phone refuses to charge from it. Somewhere between those two numbers apparently lies the trip point below which your BB will refuse to charge.
    I'm not sure how slow is too slow but I know that if you have too much stuff plugged into one outlet you may get the same error. I also unlocked my engineering screen and looked at charging and it seems the adapters are listed at 2048 (if I remember correctly) and USB from my desktop was listed at 500.

I also noticed in the BB menu on that screen you could limit the charge to 100 or 500. Makes me wonder if you could limit the charge speed throught the engineering panel. I didn't mess with it though, last thing I want is my phone developing an issue.

http://www.berryreview.com/2011/04/2...berry-charger/
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-28-12 at 02:15 PM.
    02-28-12 12:48 PM
    Got my Nokia charger. Battery level is 82% on my phone. Is there a "best" approximate level where I should put the phone on the charger?
    02-29-12 05:10 PM
    Got my Nokia charger. Battery level is 82% on my phone. Is there a "best" approximate level where I should put the phone on the charger?
    If the charger cord is 5 ft, I'd recommend no more than 4 feet off the ground.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
    02-29-12 05:21 PM
    If the charger cord is 5 ft, I'd recommend no more than 4 feet off the ground.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)
    Yup. I needed that. It's been one of those days. Wish I'd thought of that one first, though.
    DallasFlier likes this.
    02-29-12 05:43 PM
543 ... 1617181920 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD