I think this is definitely new. I'll have to check with a DLNA device later tonight to see if it's working. Note the new server icon in the upper right when the media server is on...

well I think this is new. Might coincide with the DLNA thread that opened today.
    looks good i too have unlimited, lets see if this thing works. also i will seed for a few days or at least till the new update comes out.
    02-15-12 11:51 PM
    I bet they'd automatically send you text stating that you dont have proper plan and that you should contact ATT to enable the option. I dont know if they charged you, but you never know.
    They may not bill you unless you go over your data limit, they scan your phone imei for the plans but since your using your bb on what you already got you should be good. unless there is a hotspot detect also. same thing i was pointing out before, about charging customers more. don't be scared the only why you will know is to try it out and see what works don't peek out first and just watch and see what happens.
    02-16-12 12:10 AM
    I got the file from uTorrent and unzipped it, so it's installed.. I deleted the vendor.xml file like I usually do, but when I use the App Loader, the only thing that pops up after my phone is connected is the App Loader Wizard asking if I want to add/remove the Wifi Music Sync. It doesn't appear to detect any 7.1 software at all, even though I installed the file.

Also, Desktop Manager doesn't seem to pick up the 7.1 software either..
    What should I be doing differently?
    02-16-12 12:10 AM
    I got the file from uTorrent and unzipped it, so it's installed.. I deleted the vendor.xml file like I usually do, but when I use the App Loader, the only thing that pops up after my phone is connected is the App Loader Wizard asking if I want to add/remove the Wifi Music Sync. It doesn't appear to detect any 7.1 software at all, even though I installed the file.

Also, Desktop Manager doesn't seem to pick up the 7.1 software either..
    What should I be doing differently?
    Hey SK,

First of all - since these are non-carrier specific leaks, USUALLY you don't have to delete the vendor.xml files - but for some reason, sometimes people do have to delete them.

Secondly - your post states that you "unzipped the file" but does not state that you installed the OS on your PC. Presumably you did - because you found the vendor.xml file

I presume you deleted the one found in the apploader folder - change your folder view to SHOW HIDDEN FILES, then check and see if you find a second vendor.xml file in:

C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML.

If you do find another copy in the above location, delete it as well - then make sure to empty your recycle bin - then try it again and see if loader now sees the new OS.

Hope this helps
    SK122387 likes this.
    02-16-12 12:25 AM
    I have an Unlimited data plan without tethering and it is a 10+ year old plan. My hotspot does not work no matter the APN settings. Only thing I can think of is that I have a special corporate business plan which doesn't allow it. Sucks for me...
    Unlimited. Checked the box and it was on without hesitation.
    02-16-12 12:43 AM
    My data speeds have reduced after this update! Google takes ages to load. It never happened before this update
    02-16-12 01:17 AM
    Hey SK,

First of all - since these are non-carrier specific leaks, USUALLY you don't have to delete the vendor.xml files - but for some reason, sometimes people do have to delete them.

Secondly - your post states that you "unzipped the file" but does not state that you installed the OS on your PC. Presumably you did - because you found the vendor.xml file

I presume you deleted the one found in the apploader folder - change your folder view to SHOW HIDDEN FILES, then check and see if you find a second vendor.xml file in:

C:\Users\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML.

If you do find another copy in the above location, delete it as well - then make sure to empty your recycle bin - then try it again and see if loader now sees the new OS.

Edit: The problem is prbably that you never installed the OS to your comp. The download is an executable file you need to install first, not unzip.
    Hope this helps
    I had trouble initially, had to uninstall and reinstall the OS to my comp beford it worked. Try this first. There should be no need to "unzip" the completed torrent.
    Last edited by peteygrizz; 02-16-12 at 02:28 AM.
    02-16-12 02:22 AM
    Has anyone seen this media server option before? I have used media sync, but this looks like something different. Is this new with os 7? I attached a picture.
    WOW!!! I don't have to use WifiFileTransfer anymore!!! As experimental as 7.1 feels, it's continuous steps in the right direction. And to be totally honest, even if the most we get out of the battery is 12hrs with regular use, it's still double the capacity of non-blackberry devices. When I can blast my music thru the speaker phone for over an hour, watch a 2hr HD movie, talk on the phone for 3hrs, and my battery drops to just 50%...?? I'm good!
    02-16-12 04:49 AM
    For the first 2 days after installing this OS, the battery consumption was running at 15%/hr. After all the indexing of files were done, i now see consumption at below 4%/hr. This OS has great performance accessing files on SD card. I turned off compression for maximum performance.
    02-16-12 07:22 AM
    For the first 2 days after installing this OS, the battery consumption was running at 15%/hr. After all the indexing of files were done, i now see consumption at below 4%/hr. This OS has great performance accessing files on SD card. I turned off compression for maximum performance.
    Indexing of files? I didn't get you
    02-16-12 07:28 AM
    OK...trying to install this on my comp and get a message: "error reading setup initialization file"
    I've never seen this message in years of updating BB OS's.
    Has anyone ever encountered this....or have a solution?
    02-16-12 07:30 AM
    They may not bill you unless you go over your data limit, they scan your phone imei for the plans but since your using your bb on what you already got you should be good. unless there is a hotspot detect also. same thing i was pointing out before, about charging customers more. don't be scared the only why you will know is to try it out and see what works don't peek out first and just watch and see what happens.
    Yes, that's what i intend on doing. Are you using hotspot on unlimited plan?
    02-16-12 07:33 AM
    Indexing of files? I didn't get you
    Indexing is done automatically if you use search on files. Anyway that was the program chewing up the CPU during "13%/hr".
    02-16-12 07:37 AM
    Indexing is done automatically if you use search on files. Anyway that was the program chewing up the CPU during "13%/hr".
    Ohh. I'm getting a drain of 12% per hour.
    How can I check if my indexing is complete?

I was planning to switch back to .205
    02-16-12 07:40 AM
    OK...trying to install this on my comp and get a message: "error reading setup initialization file"
    I've never seen this message in years of updating BB OS's.
    Has anyone ever encountered this....or have a solution?
    Download it again, from rapidshare if possible
    02-16-12 07:42 AM
    I just did speetest with mobile hotspot..10d/1u..not too shabby!!!!
    02-16-12 07:55 AM

In the device analyzer, modules with highest CPU are listed. Look for net_rim_bb_fileindexservice.
    02-16-12 08:34 AM

After 7.5 hrs. Much better than 16%
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 02-16-12 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-16-12 10:01 AM

Rgshah...I need to know what did you use to install 258, DM or apploader? I did a test this passed weekend: I was hybriding .74 and plugged up to DM...7.1.0.205 showed up as an update. Installed from DM...and in the install went nasty!

Back up your apps, wipe, let it reboot, wipe again. Then reinstall 7.1.0.258 WITHOUT shrinking.

As of .247, ALOT of dormant .cod are now active players and for efficiency, have replaced some apps former DNA. For instance, there's always been a dormant java set with the base title of "mbp". MBP stands for MobilBox Pro, and the set has taken over the duties of the Visual Voice Mailbox application, in turn deleting some of the former .cods that once ran that app.
    02-16-12 10:53 AM
    Rgshah...I need to know what did you use to install 258, DM or apploader? I did a test this passed weekend: I was hybriding .74 and plugged up to DM...7.1.0.205 showed up as an update. Installed from DM...and in the install went nasty!

Back up your apps, wipe, let it reboot, wipe again. Then reinstall 7.1.0.258 WITHOUT shrinking.

As of .247, ALOT of dormant .cod are now active players and for efficiency, have replaced some apps former DNA. For instance, there's always been a dormant java set with the base title of "mbp". MBP stands for MobilBox Pro, and the set has taken over the duties of the Visual Voice Mailbox application, in turn deleting some of the former .cods that once ran that app.
    I wiped it with BBSAK.

And then used apploader to install .258

Am I doing anything wrong? Please advice me.
    02-16-12 11:06 AM
    I have an Unlimited data plan without tethering and it is a 10+ year old plan. My hotspot does not work no matter the APN settings. Only thing I can think of is that I have a special corporate business plan which doesn't allow it. Sucks for me...
    Surprise, surprise... mobile hotspot now working. I also have unlimited plan. Damn, big difference from my regular wi-fi. I hope it sticks.
    02-16-12 12:05 PM
    Surprise, surprise... mobile hotspot now working. I also have unlimited plan. Damn, big difference from my regular wi-fi. I hope it sticks.
    what APN are you using?
    02-16-12 12:35 PM
    As a follow-up, tested the media server today. Works like a charm. Was streaming video to my PC no problem through Windows media player.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-16-12 12:36 PM
    I wiped it with BBSAK.

Mecca, please help
    02-16-12 12:50 PM
    I wiped it with BBSAK.

Did you get any error? What happened?

Are you just asking for steps? If so, that's fine.
    Although you don't need to wipe prior to install.
    02-16-12 03:22 PM
543 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD