Just a thought, but might it be that it is working for customers with older Data Plans, be it 2gb or Unlimited and not working for those with the newer 250mb, 3gb plans? Either way my hotspot works without any adjustments needed, however I am not going to push my luck too far with it.
    good theory. Do you have unlimited? I do.
    Let's poll.

All those with unlimited who did not have to change settings, or set anything up, and have it working fine, please raise your hand. hahaha

No, really. Please speak up, so we can prove/disprove the theory.

TIA
    02-15-12 06:03 PM
    Yeah...its strange. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan without tethering on ATT. With .74 the hotspot worked for about 2 hours, then stopped. Each release since I have been unable to use hotspot. For some reason, this release is working. I tested and connected my PB, ran a speed test (downloaded at about 8.5 Mbps) and visited a couple of sites. So it works. I have not recieved a text or email from ATT.

I, too, am not going to push my luck.. but I'm anxiously awaiting some info to see if it just works, am I going to get a surprise charge, is some guy in dark sunglasses and an ATT polo shirt going to come knocking on my door????? I'm hoping its not some backdoor way of getting me out of the unlimited plan!!!
    I seem to be in the same boat as you in all facts and circumstances except the speed. What APN are you using? My speed, obviously, is much lower than yours.
    02-15-12 06:12 PM
    Has anyone seen this media server option before? I have used media sync, but this looks like something different. Is this new with os 7? I attached a picture.
    I think this is definitely new. I'll have to check with a DLNA device later tonight to see if it's working. Note the new server icon in the upper right when the media server is on...

well I think this is new. Might coincide with the DLNA thread that opened today.
    peteygrizz likes this.
    02-15-12 06:19 PM
    Let's poll.

All those with unlimited who did not have to change settings, or set anything up, and have it working fine, please raise your hand. hahaha

TIA
    I only have a 2gb plan from prior to the recent revisions, but I am on wifi most of the time anyway. I like the idea of having hotspot capability for extremely rare occasions I may be stuck somewhere with no wifi access, and I certainly am not paying another $30 a month for the "privilege".
    02-15-12 06:26 PM
    Hi all,

The 258 build was available this afternoon via the latest version of BB DSW (released & installed yesterday). The update process for my 9810 was fairly smooth, but I spent a ridiculous amount of time re-downloading/installing my apps, contacts, etc which was my fault as I was remiss in performing a full back-up before performing the update .

There are a few new features not present in the OS7 the phone shipped with (from AT&T), however I opted not to use many of them (such as conferencing for example). I've only had the device a few weeks, & had used a 9700, Samsung Galaxy Ace, & iPhone 4 this past year. It's good to be back with BlackBerry .

On top of all this, the latest version of App World was available, which I also installed. A busy afternoon indeed.

Time will tell as to battery life improvements, but as another poster noted yesterday, frequent charging is a given with a 1.2 GHz processor & all the services running as they are. I have not been pushing mail of late though, as I cannot get Gmail to set-up correctly through BIS no matter what I do. That in itself has improved my battery performance remarkably! I spent an hour on the phone with Rogers last week regarding the Gmail issue & they finally tossed the ball back into Google/RIM's court. I'm switching to Bell FibreOP (from Rogers) for Internet, TV, & Home Phone next week anyway, so my email address will be changing. That one, which will be "@bellaliant.net" will likely set-up & push fine as did the "@rogers.com" address. I read today on another forum that Google has ceased supporting a number of apps for BlackBerry, so I'm not surprised Gmail is such an issue on some OS7 devices. Too bad really... Gmail in itself is excellent & POPs just fine with Windows Live Mail 2011.

Anyway, I hope those of you with 9810s have found the update as positive as I have thus far. I haven't really played with it since the update, but will see how things run over the next few days.

Cheers!

Device: Torch 9810, OS 7.1.0.258
    Carrier: Rogers Wireless
    PIN: 27f6b9ff
    02-15-12 06:29 PM

Might delete a few more apps that I don't use, especially BeWeather since it's been screwing with my license key as of late, stating my key has either been transferred to another device (which hasn't happened) or that it's expired...yet the key still works to re-initiate registration.

Do you have a Playbook? Every time i try the OS2 beta on the Playbook, I get the Beweather error like you are getting.
    02-15-12 06:29 PM
    Let's poll.

TIA
    Heheh!!!..I have unlimited data plan as well and had to make no changes..
    02-15-12 06:38 PM
    I think this is definitely new. I'll have to check with a DLNA device later tonight to see if it's working. Note the new server icon in the upper right when the media server is on...

well I think this is new. Might coincide with the DLNA thread that opened today.
    I hadn't even noticed the icon. Thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering if it coincided with the DLNA thread earlier. Intriguing.
    02-15-12 07:00 PM
    I'm also looking to see if the music player gives me the same errors as on .205 where every six songs played over aux cable to my car speakers...the music feed would garble the song only when it started fresh, like skipping a track, but as soon as I would either unplug the headset jack and replug in or more simply hit pause and play it would correct itself. Very annoying aside though, so we'll see if .258 does the same or if I can figure it being the microSD card being corrupted after 2 years.
    Never had the memory leak before and stable still. An hour of media player tonight was stable as ever.
    02-15-12 07:13 PM
    I'm also looking to see if the music player gives me the same errors as on .205 where every six songs played over aux cable to my car speakers...the music feed would garble the song only when it started fresh, like skipping a track, but as soon as I would either unplug the headset jack and replug in or more simply hit pause and play it would correct itself. Very annoying aside though, so we'll see if .258 does the same or if I can figure it being the microSD card being corrupted after 2 years.
    My money is on the media card being at fault.
    02-15-12 07:50 PM
    My money is on the media card being at fault.
    Nope, it isn't. I just got the same thing on an MP3 today on .258 and never had it happen before on .190 or lower. I thought it was a corrupted MP3 because it was all garbled and such. Guess this bug is still there. Oh, and yes I was using it with the AUX into my car at the time.
    02-15-12 08:51 PM
    Every link I've tried has let me download the file but won't open .."Error Reading Setup Initialization File"is what it keeps telling me. I've tried jumbofiles, rapidshare..all of them. How have you all gotten your files?
    02-15-12 08:52 PM
    Nope, it isn't. I just got the same thing on an MP3 today on .258 and never had it happen before on .190 or lower. I thought it was a corrupted MP3 because it was all garbled and such. Guess this bug is still there. Oh, and yes I was using it with the AUX into my car at the time.
    I haven't encountered this with any of the releases I have used, I would reformat the SD card just to be sure.
    02-15-12 08:55 PM
    Let's poll.

TIA
    I have an Unlimited data plan without tethering and it is a 10+ year old plan. My hotspot does not work no matter the APN settings. Only thing I can think of is that I have a special corporate business plan which doesn't allow it. Sucks for me...
    02-15-12 08:57 PM
    Every link I've tried has let me download the file but won't open .."Error Reading Setup Initialization File"is what it keeps telling me. I've tried jumbofiles, rapidshare..all of them. How have you all gotten your files?
    I uploaded a torrent here.
    I will be seeding it for at least a few days.
    aminrajabi and SK122387 like this.
    02-15-12 08:58 PM
    How do I use a torrent file? I'm not new to putting leaked OS on my BlackBerry, just new to using a torrent file..I clicked it and it opens up in AOL or internet Explorer, and [Demonoid.me]-Blackberry_OS_7_1_0_258_for_Torch_9810.torrent shows up as saved to my desktop, but when I click it, it just saves and nothing happens.

Any advice?
    02-15-12 10:02 PM
    How do I use a torrent file? I'm not new to putting leaked OS on my BlackBerry, just new to using a torrent file..I clicked it and it opens up in AOL or internet Explorer, and [Demonoid.me]-Blackberry_OS_7_1_0_258_for_Torch_9810.torrent shows up as saved to my desktop, but when I click it, it just saves and nothing happens.

Any advice?
    need to download utorrent or bitorrent and install it on your computer...re-click the link and the torrent software will automatically start downloading it

µTorrent - a (very) tiny BitTorrent client
    BitTorrent - Delivering the World's Content
    Last edited by jstarett; 02-15-12 at 10:26 PM.
    SK122387 likes this.
    02-15-12 10:20 PM

Any advice?
    You need a BitTorrent client such as BitTorrent or uTorrent. It is fairly easy but can seem overwhelming at first. I don't have the link now but google uTorrent and you will find it.
    SK122387 likes this.
    02-15-12 10:21 PM
    I uploaded a torrent here.
    I will be seeding it for at least a few days.
    I am downloading it now...will keep it on for a few days to help speed the delivery process if other people still need it.
    SK122387 likes this.
    02-15-12 10:31 PM
    Thanks guys, I got uTorrent and it's downloading now. When it's done, do I just click on it from within uTorrent and unzip it, and then use the App Loader as usual?
    02-15-12 10:33 PM
    Thanks guys, I got uTorrent and it's downloading now. When it's done, do I just click on it from within uTorrent and unzip it, and then use the App Loader as usual?
    You got it...
    02-15-12 10:35 PM
    For what it's worth, I now have music off of my BB playing through a frends Android phone via the File Sharing option. There's potential here somehow.
    jonty12 and Mecca EL like this.
    02-15-12 10:39 PM
    Do you have a Playbook? Every time i try the OS2 beta on the Playbook, I get the Beweather error like you are getting.
    I have a PlayBook yea, but the OS2 beta hasn't stopped it from working like normal before. I don't see why on .205 or .258 it would have a difference of being bridged in killing a license key for registration...

Interesting thought though..
    02-15-12 11:13 PM
    why dont you try our site in Indonesia.. we dont like complicated and free!!! repo.antihackerlink.or.id/download.php?list.29... please enjoy it.. sorry the link without http// because my post in this site is less than 10...
    Last edited by andisapt; 02-15-12 at 11:32 PM.
    02-15-12 11:28 PM
    Battery drain is still the same! 9% an hour on 3G
    02-15-12 11:36 PM
543 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD