I tried to activate the hotspot last night and a notice said that additional charges may apply. it seemed like it was ready to go. I did not activate the hotspot in fear of being charged. Will AT&T bump your plan up to the tethering plan automatically? Or will it be some sort of additional prorated charge based on use.
    I bet they'd automatically send you text stating that you dont have proper plan and that you should contact ATT to enable the option. I dont know if they charged you, but you never know.
    bap2510 likes this.
    02-15-12 01:34 PM
    I bet they'd automatically send you text stating that you dont have proper plan and that you should contact ATT to enable the option. I dont know if they charged you, but you never know.
    Either way I won't use it. With wi-fi available almost everywhere and BB Bridge I have no reason to use it or more importantly pay for it.
    02-15-12 01:47 PM
    That's exactly what they'll do. One of the few things about AT&T that I appreciate - they will update you by email or text...FAST!!! Probably their way of saying "at least we told/warned you!"
    02-15-12 01:51 PM
    Either way I won't use it. With wi-fi available almost everywhere and BB Bridge I have no reason to use it or more importantly pay for it.
    I hear you..I have a Toshiba Thrive that im trying to tether to my 9810. I know this horse has been beaten to death and not in the right forum, but this would definitely be an alternative when im traveling, etc and dont have access to Wi-Fi.
    02-15-12 01:54 PM
    well, more info on the AT&T hotspot situation. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan (enterprise). Hotspot briefly worked with me on release .74, then I got the dreaded message (no hotspot for you! get a tethering plan) as soon as I tried to start it up. With this release I can start hotspot fine, but .. and here's the rub ... I get no data traffic in either direction.

Also, I can't see any way to change APN settings to try a different APN.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-15-12 02:14 PM
    Anyone has a link for all language version? Thanks.
    02-15-12 02:18 PM
    I'm just worried about the "Evil Empire" sending me a bill for the Death Star.
    I'd bet they'd notice if there is a jump in data that continues. But I'm thinking short bursts of data won't get too much attention. I'm grandfathered into unlimited, but not tethered.
    02-15-12 02:20 PM
    That's exactly what they'll do. One of the few things about AT&T that I appreciate - they will update you by email or text...FAST!!! Probably their way of saying "at least we told/warned you!"
    Lol. I got one last month. Also, grandfathered into unlimited plan.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 02-15-12 at 02:24 PM.
    02-15-12 02:20 PM
    well, more info on the AT&T hotspot situation. I have a grandfathered unlimited plan (enterprise). Hotspot briefly worked with me on release .74, then I got the dreaded message (no hotspot for you! get a tethering plan) as soon as I tried to start it up. With this release I can start hotspot fine, but .. and here's the rub ... I get no data traffic in either direction.

Odd since i see traffic on my hotspot when it's enabled & dont see any to change APN settings either...I'm going to use sparingly since my WAN Wi-Fi is associated with phone MAC and can be easily tracked on their network. ? is how long before they start sending text from them regarding usage?
    02-15-12 02:22 PM

Thanks for this update. Hopefully more folks inquiring about this info will see it.

Also, APN can be adjusted in the device/advance settings. I don't know if it will make a diff, but you can check

Lol. I got one last month. Also, grandfathered into unlimited plan.
    Bwahahahahaha!!!
    02-15-12 02:31 PM
    Thanks for this update. Hopefully more folks inquiring about this info will see it.

Also, APN can be adjusted in the device/advance settings. I don't know if it will make a diff, but you can check

Bwahahahahaha!!!
    Nice find Mecca, I was wondering where they moved the APN information to. As Mecca says it is now in Options -- Device -- Advanced -- TCP/IP.

Mine was set as "phone" with no auth. I tried changing it to:

APN: wap.cingular
    Account name: WAP @CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1

The settings save but mobile hotspot still insists that I need it added to my account. @#$% I hate AT&T.
    02-15-12 03:19 PM
    Did anyone ever have a problem not receiving call/texts while on wifi? I have the 9810 with t-mobile and as soon as I got it I installed os 7.1 so I never used 7.0. And there are times when people try to call me but my phone won't ring or accept any incoming or outgoing services. The phone will respond in every other way though. I think it has something to do with the phone while it is on wifi, not not sure. Usually to correct the problem I have to do a battery pull. I am hoping this version may fix that. Or maybe it's an internal hardware problem. I also realize t-mobile sucks and I'd like to just think it is their fault. Anyone have any similar problems or suggestions? I'll post if I notice any changes.
    02-15-12 03:19 PM
    Not sure if this has been covered elsewhere, but has anyone else had their anti-virus not like the leaked updates? Mine keeps deleting the download before i can open it.
    02-15-12 03:38 PM
    I have to disable my anti-virus every time I download a leaked update or else it will cancel the download. I disable it and turn it back on once the download is complete.
    JD_8345RT likes this.
    02-15-12 03:42 PM
    Did anyone ever have a problem not receiving call/texts while on wifi? I have the 9810 with t-mobile and as soon as I got it I installed os 7.1 so I never used 7.0. And there are times when people try to call me but my phone won't ring or accept any incoming or outgoing services. The phone will respond in every other way though. I think it has something to do with the phone while it is on wifi, not not sure. Usually to correct the problem I have to do a battery pull. I am hoping this version may fix that. Or maybe it's an internal hardware problem. I also realize t-mobile sucks and I'd like to just think it is their fault. Anyone have any similar problems or suggestions? I'll post if I notice any changes.
    190 and 205 had a terrible time maintaining a connection. 258 seems to have repair these problems. I'm about to check bluetooth for a clear connection. The only version of 7.1 that didn't have these issues were .74
    d.roc likes this.
    02-15-12 03:53 PM
    Roy, by any chance, do you know it this is coming anytime soon for the 9900?
    02-15-12 03:54 PM
    Installed .258. Battery has been draining at 15% per hour !! 100% just lasted for 6 hours !
    02-15-12 04:26 PM
    Nice find Mecca, I was wondering where they moved the APN information to. As Mecca says it is now in Options -- Device -- Advanced -- TCP/IP.

The settings save but mobile hotspot still insists that I need it added to my account. @#$% I hate AT&T.
    That fixed it for me! That being said, it doesn't do much good for me speed-wise:

Using hotspot (best result of three tests)-
    Ping: 250 ms
    Download: .63 Mbps
    Upload: .29 Mpbs

Using Bridge -
    Ping: 510 ms
    Download: .43 Mbps
    Upload: .12 Mpbs

The use I do have for it is related to accessing HTTPS sites. I can't do that with my 1.0X PB over bridge. I can using hotspot.

Thanks Mecca & MainSG!
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-15-12 04:48 PM

Oddly, I didn't set or change anything and mine works.
    Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm
    02-15-12 05:08 PM
    Has anyone seen this media server option before? I have used media sync, but this looks like something different. Is this new with os 7? I attached a picture.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    02-15-12 05:16 PM
    Oddly, I didn't set or change anything and mine works.
    Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm
    Just a thought, but might it be that it is working for customers with older Data Plans, be it 2gb or Unlimited and not working for those with the newer 250mb, 3gb plans? Either way my hotspot works without any adjustments needed, however I am not going to push my luck too far with it.
    02-15-12 05:27 PM

Bwahahahahaha!!!
    LOL. Yeah, whatever!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-15-12 05:36 PM
    Can anyone tell me if the SSID changes between reboots on this release like it did on the other leaks? Kind of annoying (But not the end of the world) to have to set it up on my devices everytime I reboot the phone.

Thanks!
    02-15-12 05:41 PM
    Just a thought, but might it be that it is working for customers with older Data Plans, be it 2gb or Unlimited and not working for those with the newer 250mb, 3gb plans? Either way my hotspot works without any adjustments needed, however I am not going to push my luck too far with it.
    Yeah...its strange. I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan without tethering on ATT. With .74 the hotspot worked for about 2 hours, then stopped. Each release since I have been unable to use hotspot. For some reason, this release is working. I tested and connected my PB, ran a speed test (downloaded at about 8.5 Mbps) and visited a couple of sites. So it works. I have not recieved a text or email from ATT.

I, too, am not going to push my luck.. but I'm anxiously awaiting some info to see if it just works, am I going to get a surprise charge, is some guy in dark sunglasses and an ATT polo shirt going to come knocking on my door????? I'm hoping its not some backdoor way of getting me out of the unlimited plan!!!
    02-15-12 05:57 PM
    So while I can't attest to battery life too much since I actively have my phone on a charger, I can however state that the memory leak issue I was having with .205 is no longer huge.

.190 typically dropped me down to 80mb whereas .205 would drop me well into 50mb and 40mb range sometimes. Currently since restarting last night I've moved from the refresh restart of 118mb only down to 93mb.

Might delete a few more apps that I don't use, especially BeWeather since it's been screwing with my license key as of late, stating my key has either been transferred to another device (which hasn't happened) or that it's expired...yet the key still works to re-initiate registration.

I'm also looking to see if the music player gives me the same errors as on .205 where every six songs played over aux cable to my car speakers...the music feed would garble the song only when it started fresh, like skipping a track, but as soon as I would either unplug the headset jack and replug in or more simply hit pause and play it would correct itself. Very annoying aside though, so we'll see if .258 does the same or if I can figure it being the microSD card being corrupted after 2 years.
    02-15-12 06:00 PM
543 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD