03-31-12 01:18 PM
337 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Just updated to 190 three days ago lol. what differences does 205 have over 190? is it worth it to upgrade?
    01-19-12 09:12 PM
    Yeah, I actually think that Visual Voice Mail is a really cool app or program and it gives you instant access to the VM's you actually want to listen to and one's that can wait. In business it is really helpful, especially if you get a lot of VM's, texts and emails like I do. I made sure that even if I had to take a picture with my phone camera and add it to the contacts, I put them on as many contacts as I could. You can also use avatars as well.
    And if you link to bbm, it will pull their pics in as well.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-19-12 10:23 PM
    Anyone having a problem with BeBuzz and this OS? I downloaded the lastest version yesterday which does have OS 7.1 support. It installs with no problem but it does not work. I checked all settings as I have used this app before. Reboots and battery pulls have not helped.

Thanks for any info.

-Rich
    Last edited by richv77; 01-20-12 at 08:23 AM.
    01-20-12 08:16 AM
    Anyone having a problem with BeBuzz and this OS? I downloaded the lastest version yesterday which does have OS 7.1 support. It installs with no problem but it does not work. I checked all settings as I have used this app before. Reboots and battery pulls have not helped.

Thanks for any info.

-Rich
    It has worked "fine" for me on .74, .190 and .205. Certainly still has its issues, but it works for how I use it...
    01-20-12 08:25 AM
    Uploaded, installed on my computer, and used DM to upgrade from stock AT&T OS without deleting any vendor.xml files without any problems whatsoever. Battery seems to be a about the same as .261, which is better than .583 was. Other than that no problems. Seems to be a solid build.
    Last edited by jomnichols; 01-20-12 at 09:34 AM.
    01-20-12 08:46 AM
    Do we really need to keep going round and round about the official Vs leaked? For those of us who know, we know the difference. I think we are just beating a dead horse here. Unfortunately we will never convince anyone that they are the same.
    01-20-12 08:51 AM
    Do we really need to keep going round and round about the official Vs leaked? For those of us who know, we know the difference. I think we are just beating a dead horse here. Unfortunately we will never convince anyone that they are the same.
    I agree with you. My curiosity stems from someone posting that they're going to wait for an "official' version with some historically posting angry comments complaining about their carrier taking so long to release an OS as opposed to utilizing what is available. I feel the same way about the great battery debate- draining it completely vs. topping it off. Anyway, doesn't matter to me if one upgrades "their" BlackBerry or not.
    cntrydncr223 and Mecca EL like this.
    01-20-12 09:06 AM
    Let's not forget that there are lots of BB noobs who don't understand that yet. After 1.5 years with BB, I'm still learning. Initially, I would have waited for an official release from AT&T, thinking that my carrier would blame my OS upgrade for any possible future issues, voiding my warranty. It took time and lots of reading to get rid of that thinking. And I started as pretty tech savvy in WM, Android, Win and linux. Each platform has its own vocabulary and ways of doing things. Sometimes, even the techies need to relearn things.

And, as much as I complain about assuming someone new knows nothing, I still sit in amazement when the poster with 10 posts spouts off his wisdom, then asks the one with 20 for advice...in the midst of 400, 1,000 post veterans.
    01-20-12 10:09 AM
    Let's not forget that there are lots of BB noobs who don't understand that yet. After 1.5 years with BB, I'm still learning. Initially, I would have waited for an official release from AT&T, thinking that my carrier would blame my OS upgrade for any possible future issues, voiding my warranty. It took time and lots of reading to get rid of that thinking. And I started as pretty tech savvy in WM, Android, Win and linux. Each platform has its own vocabulary and ways of doing things. Sometimes, even the techies need to relearn things.

And, as much as I complain about assuming someone new knows nothing, I still sit in amazement when the poster with 10 posts spouts off his wisdom, then asks the one with 20 for advice...in the midst of 400, 1,000 post veterans.
    And that has lots to do with 7.1.0.205, doesn't it? Said while slapping hand for helping take thread off topic.

So. Any more reports on differences or similarities to .190? I know it's too soon for real battery life info.
    01-20-12 10:43 AM
    I know this post isn't about forum etiquette, but I feel it belongs here...

I have been using 7.1.0.205 since it showed up in this thread. This is my first upgrade to a "leaked" OS and it was made easy by searching the FAQ forum and Leaked/Beta OS forum. When there was an issue that I couldn't find the answer for; asked here and was helped. Thanks to everyone who shares their knowledge here.

Now, as far as the OS itself it is working fine, very stable, no glitches to speak of. All of my third-party apps are fully working, including BeBuzz, Facebook, Poynt, WaveRoom, Pandora, and others. The battery life seems better compared to where I was at 7.0.585. I had a heavy usage day yesterday and lasted for 12 hours from charger to dead, which for me is great on a busy day, as I am accustom to needing to plug in after about 8 hours of work/play.

One improvement I did notice is that I seem to be able to tap small links easier on the touchscreen, I noticed this most on i.Reddit.com where before I had trouble clicking usernames, find it easier now.
    Don_Henry and kraski like this.
    01-20-12 11:07 AM
    I had been running .190 for about a week - found, like everyone else, better overall UI response, faster browser, much easier installation due to improvements in loader, etc. - and I was one of the lucky ones who found the best battery life of ANY OS I have run - far superior to anything from one of the 7.0 builds.

What I also have found - since running 7.1, this is the first time that my BES activation was automatic - soon as I reconnected to the network, account verification and then synchronization started all by itself - I did not have to log in to the Web DM, create an activation password, etc. etc.

I am hopeful that the battery life on .205 will match that of .190 - time will tell.
    peteygrizz and Mecca EL like this.
    01-20-12 11:15 AM
    I must agree. As much as I like helping others, and appreciate their frustration, the barrage of new threads on "how do I upgrade/downgrade?", "where is the vendor file?" and "how long do I charge my battery?" (to name a few) have been filling up these forums to the point of agnoy.

Emotions range from, "lookit here, that question has been asked and answered a thousand times. Do ya see that search button up there^^^?" to patiently helping, to rolling eyes and hitting the back button (or scrolling down).

Sometimes I just want to scream at my monitor and hope they hear me. Then I think back at the times when someone didn't answer my question, was unhelpful or downright sarcastic/demeaning. On second thought, that's not very respectful. Maybe answering their question is the best answer after all.... sigh.

Sadly, I don't think it's ever going to change. There will continue to be (and it's a good thing), more and more new users both to blackberry and CB forums.

We can either answer their question or move on, but still...

It's sorta like the guy who stands on the street corner looking for handouts. When he gets his "gift" it teaches him to stand on the corner begging... (Now before anyone thinks I'm slamming the needy, or suggesting I'm better than anyone, I'm NOT. And don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying don't help folks in need... I've been on the streets myself, homeless and hungry, so I know that whole deal. I'm saying people who aren't led to help themselves only learn to take from others. at some point, the poor guy is gonna hafta learn to fish for himself, or he's in for a long life of begging.)
    I agree with what you say. Particularly about wanting to holler at a post you're viewing on the monitor. I've had whole days like that, sometimes. But, to a point, whose fault is that? Admittedly, I don't go into every section of the forums. But, in the top banner, there's a whole section labeled "Blackberry Help" that points to a whole area of help articles posted on the Crackberry blog. In 1.5 years, I think I've seen that mentioned twice as a source of info. That doesn't include the forum stuff. That sometimes gets mentioned, occasionally includes a link to the helpful post, mostly just gets referred to as part of a "do a search" diatribe. But there's a "Tips, How To & FAQ" segment at the top of the phone section. Maybe all of that needs to be mentioned more often for those who really need the info. And, if there are things that need to be included in that section, isn't posting it there more positive than complaining that people can't search for the needed facts? Just sayin'....
    01-20-12 11:56 AM
    My only comment is that even though I've only been on here for a couple of years now, no matter what the question is that I've posted, someone has always been gracious enough to give me some guidance to help me through the issue. With regards to updates via the ominous "leaked upgrade", though some of us are fairly smartphone and computer savvy, if you have never done a "leaked upgrade", it is still scary. The stigmata of it being "leaked" as opposed to "official" in, and of itself, scares the out of some people. I for one worry that I could screw it up and personally have no one to bail me out if I do--hence the repetitive questions. Even though it's been answered and repeated a hundred times, there is not a day that goes by that someone isn't complaining about the upgrade they just did and the problems it may have caused—so this in turn causes some to re-question it. Since this is not exceptionally comforting, we continue to ask for help and opinions; and to those of you that have been extremely helpful and gracious with your time--we all appreciate it! A shout out and many thanks to "Mecca El" for one, for whom your constant help and honesty is appreciated. Thanks!
    01-20-12 03:17 PM
    That seems to vary, with no apparent reason for the difference. I had only one vendor.xml file. But, yes, there will always be at least one. And, yes, removing them seems to trigger DM to recognize that there's an upgrade.
    I've never ever ever had to remove a vendor file on a leak. I've been using leaks since bb 4.5 and up.
    homer1475 likes this.
    01-20-12 04:07 PM
    Installed 4 hours ago, initial impressions are great. Browser speed, menus, I'm quite happy with it. Will see how it performs over the next couple days as the OS settles in.
    01-20-12 05:24 PM
    I've never ever ever had to remove a vendor file on a leak. I've been using leaks since bb 4.5 and up.
    With no vendor info in the file, we shouldn't need to. But DM doesn't always recognize an upgrade if I don't have AT&T info in that file or remove them. And, since BBSAK and BBMC refuse to recognize my 9810, I need all the functions in DM to be sure I'm restoring as much as possible. I used apploader directly very little for OS6. So, I'm not sure upgrading that way would get me the backup and restore I want. And removal helps me to remember when there's an official version that isn't AT&T.
    01-20-12 05:58 PM
    I had been running .190 for about a week - found, like everyone else, better overall UI response, faster browser, much easier installation due to improvements in loader, etc. - and I was one of the lucky ones who found the best battery life of ANY OS I have run - far superior to anything from one of the 7.0 builds.

What I also have found - since running 7.1, this is the first time that my BES activation was automatic - soon as I reconnected to the network, account verification and then synchronization started all by itself - I did not have to log in to the Web DM, create an activation password, etc. etc.

I am hopeful that the battery life on .205 will match that of .190 - time will tell.
    Forgot to also mention - I shrank with BBHTools - OS size went down to about 90MB - so far, no problems as a result of shrinking
    01-20-12 10:25 PM
    I agree with what you say. Particularly about wanting to holler at a post you're viewing on the monitor. I've had whole days like that, sometimes. But, to a point, whose fault is that? Admittedly, I don't go into every section of the forums. But, in the top banner, there's a whole section labeled "Blackberry Help" that points to a whole area of help articles posted on the Crackberry blog. In 1.5 years, I think I've seen that mentioned twice as a source of info. That doesn't include the forum stuff. That sometimes gets mentioned, occasionally includes a link to the helpful post, mostly just gets referred to as part of a "do a search" diatribe. But there's a "Tips, How To & FAQ" segment at the top of the phone section. Maybe all of that needs to be mentioned more often for those who really need the info. And, if there are things that need to be included in that section, isn't posting it there more positive than complaining that people can't search for the needed facts? Just sayin'....
    Dang, you're fast. I posted that and pulled it 5 minutes later, because I felt bad. Guess it's true that once ya post it, ya can't take it back!!

On a side note, I just spent the last 8 days researching, trial and error (mostly error) on an issue I was working on. I read so many posts, on CB and Google, it would make it head spin. But I got it done, and the satisfaction of learning mo betta along the way!!
    kraski and Mecca EL like this.
    01-21-12 12:19 AM
    Dang, you're fast. I posted that and pulled it 5 minutes later, because I felt bad. Guess it's true that once ya post it, ya can't take it back!!

On a side note, I just spent the last 8 days researching, trial and error (mostly error) on an issue I was working on. I read so many posts, on CB and Google, it would make it head spin. But I got it done, and the satisfaction of learning mo betta along the way!!
    You actually made some good points. No, I'm not that fast. Just good timing.

It feels great when you figure stuff out, doesn't it? Maybe if we convince the newer folk that it's what "go figure" means, they'll do more searches.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-21-12 12:57 AM
    has anyone that has the screen calibration problem on non att official os been able to run this os without those problems?
    01-21-12 07:34 AM
    You actually made some good points. No, I'm not that fast. Just good timing.

It feels great when you figure stuff out, doesn't it? Maybe if we convince the newer folk that it's what "go figure" means, they'll do more searches.
    Thanks for the compliment.

I does feel pretty good to figure it out. But it can be brutal, searching and researching, trying and failing, exasperating to the point of tears. I guess I can see why it's easier to just ask. But I learned a bunch of other stuff along the way and it was time well spent (inhindsight).

To the newer folks - I don't think all that is necessary, but someones JUST ONE SEARCH will provide the answer you're looking for, or a direction you can try. It's maybe not even as hard as a search, since it's been pointed out that the help stickies are at the top of each forum.

Incidentally, someone sent me the answer not 10 minutes after I figured it out!

To OP - Sorry for hijaking this thread!
    01-21-12 10:06 AM
    Thanks to the patience of my crackberry pals finally got it downloaded. What i found is that the browser is faster and all the buffer problems are fixed in my streaming programs. Thanks guys!
    01-21-12 10:21 AM
    Thanks to the patience of my crackberry pals finally got it downloaded. What i found is that the browser is faster and all the buffer problems are fixed in my streaming programs. Thanks guys!
    Glad it worked out. You upgraded from 7.0.0.261?
    rppaul likes this.
    01-21-12 10:39 AM
    Mecca El seemed to find little difference between this build and .190, except browser rendering. Anyone else seeing any other improvements or fixes? And since we're only hours away from a full 3 days, any reports on battery life? Right now, I'm getting about 3% with light use, up to 4% with heavier use. Which, last night had me over 40% after 17 hours. But, if I can get better battery life, that'd be awesome.
    Last edited by kraski; 01-21-12 at 10:50 AM.
    01-21-12 10:45 AM
    Mecca El seemed to find little difference between this build and .190, except browser rendering. Anyone else seeing any other improvements or fixes? And since we're only hours away from a full 3 days, any reports on battery life? Right now, I'm getting about 3% with light use, up to 4% with heavier use. Which, last night had me over 40% after 17 hours. But, if I can get better battery life, that'd be awesome.
    This sounds very similar to when I am using my stock TMO OS. I think I will stick with .190 until official 7.1 comes out. Thanks all for all precious information.

Cheers
    01-21-12 10:58 AM
337 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD