It's a fact, they must be removed if the OS is not from your home carrier and you want to use DM to install.
    If it is not a carrier approved OS update, then you do not have to remove the vendor.xml files. DM may not recognize it, but that is why I use the Loader in AppLoader to load the new OS. You do not have to worry about wiping nor backing up your device since the Loader does it for you as a part of the install process. To me it is a simpler process.
    Mecca EL and cudinhkien like this.
    01-19-12 12:46 PM
    My understanding has always been that RIM releases new OS builds to all the carriers, and leaks come from someone working for the carriers or perhaps someone at RIM who works with the carriers. I could be wrong. In any event, whoever does leak should bundle the OS into a zip file with the release notes. I can't believe that RIM would release new OS builds to carriers without release notes.
    RIM definitely drops release notes with the builds that hit carriers, and they're fairly detailed (contain RIM internal defect numbers, descriptions). They're all marked "RIM Confidential," though, so my guess is that none of the leakers either A) have access to the docs themselves (the ones I see are distributed in a separate documentation package) or B) want to risk dumping them out there and having it traced back to them. (PDFs are watermarked and protected)
    01-19-12 12:49 PM
    Hmm I added enterprise data pro 5GB with tethering for 4G devices and still hotspot is not working. Anyone have any ideas?
    Have you done a battery pull since upgrading? if not, do and try again. It's working ok on mine on AT&T.
    01-19-12 12:52 PM
    Way cool. You learn something new everyday if you keep your mind open. Thanks for the assist.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-19-12 01:03 PM
    Have you done a battery pull since upgrading? if not, do and try again. It's working ok on mine on AT&T.
    Trying battery pull I have rebooted several times due to program installs and twice with ALT SHFT DEL

Lets see if the pull fixes it.

Thanks

Update: Battery pull did not fix it.
    01-19-12 01:07 PM
    It's a fact, they must be removed if the OS is not from your home carrier and you want to use DM to install.
    This is not a fact. I posted pics 2-3 pages back, confirming that "leaks" have no vendor tagging - the xml files read "zeros" - and can be installed without removing a thing.

As earlier stated, use the apploader that came installed in the OS, and save the headache of searching though system folders on your computer.
    01-19-12 01:56 PM
    Trying battery pull I have rebooted several times due to program installs and twice with ALT SHFT DEL

Lets see if the pull fixes it.

Thanks

Update: Battery pull did not fix it.
    Resend your service books
    01-19-12 02:01 PM
    Ok, I'm still on 7.0-.1355 (ATT) with zero issues and good browser speed/battery life. I'm considering doing this leaked 205 update but have never done one before and very leary of screwing it up (which I can do, believe me). Couple of questions if you don't mind since I use my BB torch for business and don't want to lose anything on it!
    1. is there any really good reason to upgrade if I have no issues now and both battery and browser are very good?
    2. Is there a cost to download this upgrade?
    3. Other than a couple of standard backups, do I need to do anything special to upgrade this OS?
    4. Any instructions that someone like me who's never installed a leaked version and only upgraded through DM before to follow? Thank you for your patience and repeted questions.
    01-19-12 02:04 PM
    Ok, I'm still on 7.0-.1355 (ATT) with zero issues and good browser speed/battery life. I'm considering doing this leaked 205 update but have never done one before and very leary of screwing it up (which I can do, believe me). Couple of questions if you don't mind since I use my BB torch for business and don't want to lose anything on it!
    1. is there any really good reason to upgrade if I have no issues now and both battery and browser are very good?
    2. Is there a cost to download this upgrade?
    3. Other than a couple of standard backups, do I need to do anything special to upgrade this OS?
    4. Any instructions that someone like me who's never installed a leaked version and only upgraded through DM before to follow? Thank you for your patience and repeted questions.
    If you're not experiencing any issues, and you're comfortable with how your device currently works for you, you do not have to update.

Where most would attempt to convince you of the pluses, it would be these same folks complaining about the length of time a reboot takes and that THAT'S the reason why this OS is no good.

Now, if you're a tinkerer, have excellent skills in being patient, and equip yourself with enough knowledge to attempt an install...do it because it's what you FEEL like doing. There's thread after thread after thread with "how-to..." take your time and read up.
    go1ndr, azrin640 and cudinhkien like this.
    01-19-12 02:17 PM
    i know this was asked before in the thread, but what if any are the changes or improvements from .190 where we got hotspot, wifi calling bla bla bla....
    01-19-12 02:18 PM
    Thanks Mecca El!
    I'm not interested in "Hot Spots"-use my BB more for work, so that's not important. I do like having the "latest and greatest" but if there is no real difference, then I don't see the advantage--as you pointed out.
    Half of these threads say exactly what you stated--'downloaded and now this or that won't work', and the ones that are positive seem to be most positive about the increase in battery usage or how much faster the browser is. My battery has average drainage--(can go all day with average-high use and still have 40-50% left at 10pm at night). The browser is light years ahead of the 6.0 OS on the 9800 and with 4G (and especially with wifi on) much faster than most iPhones and Androids. All my apps work great so I don't see the need to go to 7.1 yet.
    Do you happen to know what the upgrade improvements are in the newest ATT 2404 build (have 1355 now) and is that worth upgrading to. My wife did and it erased all of her folders and a lot of 3rd party stuff. Thanks again for info! Much appreciated!
    PS: just came back from a wedding in Raleigh! Too cool for words staying at the Carolina Inn!
    Last edited by go1ndr; 01-19-12 at 02:48 PM. Reason: addition of PS
    01-19-12 02:46 PM
    Resend your service books
    Thanks for the suggestion. I resent the sevice books from the BES it asked me for a new passcode but then stated activation required again. Shucks
    01-19-12 02:57 PM
    Thanks Mecca El!
    I'm not interested in "Hot Spots"-use my BB more for work, so that's not important. I do like having the "latest and greatest" but if there is no real difference, then I don't see the advantage--as you pointed out.
    Half of these threads say exactly what you stated--'downloaded and now this or that won't work', and the ones that are positive seem to be most positive about the increase in battery usage or how much faster the browser is. My battery has average drainage--(can go all day with average-high use and still have 40-50% left at 10pm at night). The browser is light years ahead of the 6.0 OS on the 9800 and with 4G (and especially with wifi on) much faster than most iPhones and Androids. All my apps work great so I don't see the need to go to 7.1 yet.
    Do you happen to know what the upgrade improvements are in the newest ATT 2404 build (have 1355 now) and is that worth upgrading to. My wife did and it erased all of her folders and a lot of 3rd party stuff. Thanks again for info! Much appreciated!
    PS: just came back from a wedding in Raleigh! Too cool for words staying at the Carolina Inn!
    Hahahaha!! No way!! I'm originally from the Bronx, but planted my roots in Raleigh. The Carolina Inn is nice!!!

The only thing that you'll experience is the Hotspot. Other than that, if all is well on your device leave it alone. I'm a tinkerer and a hybrid builder. I would notice the subtle changes in an OS, enough for me to be all Spock about it. But for the most part, everyone pretty much "yays" or "nays" what everyone else is yaying and naying.

Sounds like you are fortunate enough to have a stable device and an OS to match.
    01-19-12 03:11 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion. I resent the sevice books from the BES it asked me for a new passcode but then stated activation required again. Shucks
    I know that was frustrating. Contact ATT cs, and confirm that they've in fact start hotspot for you. You know those idiots get distracted easily
    go1ndr likes this.
    01-19-12 03:13 PM
    Mecca El: actually I was there last March during the big college game and I stayed and the wedding was at, the Carolina Inn--It was absolutely insane--even by So CA standards!
    Thanks for the good advice. Maybe when ATT releases the 7.1 upgrade I'll reconsider it.
    Until next time-take care, Jack
    01-19-12 03:31 PM
    Mecca El: actually I was there last March during the big college game and I stayed and the wedding was at, the Carolina Inn--It was absolutely insane--even by So CA standards!
    Thanks for the good advice. Maybe when ATT releases the 7.1 upgrade I'll reconsider it.
    Until next time-take care, Jack
    That's what I'm gonna do. Tried all thje others, and wasn't worth it, in fact worse. I'm back to stock.
    01-19-12 04:02 PM
    Ok..............don't know if I'm dense or what. I downloaded the software onto the computer, followed the instructions in the blogs on loading it onto the phone, but my desktop software does not recognize the update. HELP!
    01-19-12 04:07 PM
    Ok..............don't know if I'm dense or what. I downloaded the software onto the computer, followed the instructions in the blogs on loading it onto the phone, but my desktop software does not recognize the update. HELP!
    Meaning you opened and install 7.1.0.205 on your computer, or did you just download it to your computer?

Close DM and after installing .205 to your computer, open the search app and type "loader.exe" once acquired, double click to start, and make sure your device is connected. Install update
    Last edited by Mecca EL; 01-19-12 at 04:22 PM. Reason: clarification
    01-19-12 04:14 PM
    First "new" thing spotted: Visual Voice Mail now leaves a notice with a caller ID image. Yay?
    01-19-12 04:37 PM
    I have a 9860 and most of these findings apply!

Thanks for this, and I hope you don't mind but I'm posting this in the 9860 thread for this OS leak.
    I don't mind at all...
    01-19-12 05:02 PM
    FYI Mecca El-my visual voice mail on 7.0---1355, always leaves notice and shows a picture of who left the vm as long as I have their picture in my contacts on their page. Is what you are seeing different?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-19-12 05:22 PM
    FYI Mecca El-my visual voice mail on 7.0---1355, always leaves notice and shows a picture of who left the vm as long as I have their picture in my contacts on their page. Is what you are seeing different?
    Doh!!! Probably. I actually never noticed before. The pic-notification is about 60% of the screen real estate.
    01-19-12 05:35 PM
    Yeah, I actually think that Visual Voice Mail is a really cool app or program and it gives you instant access to the VM's you actually want to listen to and one's that can wait. In business it is really helpful, especially if you get a lot of VM's, texts and emails like I do. I made sure that even if I had to take a picture with my phone camera and add it to the contacts, I put them on as many contacts as I could. You can also use avatars as well.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-19-12 06:06 PM
    whats the name of the visual vm app that you guys are running? thx
    01-19-12 08:20 PM
    whats the name of the visual vm app that you guys are running? thx
    Ironically, it's called Visual Voice Mail
    Mecca EL and cudinhkien like this.
    01-19-12 08:47 PM
337 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD