Does any one know if you can swipe between messages? I love that function and it seems hit or miss on the OS releases.
    Nope in so mad now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-12 09:30 AM
    Can you explain to me what you mean by this? What does it mean to have a Hotspot without tethering?

This is not a challenge, but a simple question, because I don't understand it. I have ATT, so no tethering without a different data plan, and I can't even get the Hotspot to work.

Thanks.
    When 7.1 first landed, we all had access to the hotspot feature, without adjustments to our service plans - this was the case with every service provider. Then about a month later, carriers began blocking access, forcing users to either abandon using hotspot - those that were longtime AT&T clients faired worst, because the only option currently available is to lose true unlimited, and pay more for less just to use hotspot.

Under carrier Terms Of Service, they are classifying "hotspot" as part of the "Tethering" umbrella. When at one time we could bypass having to pay for tethering service, we cannot do that anymore - FOR SOME CARRIERS, NOT ALL.

I had to add that in bold, because folks like to skim over things and not read. Guarantee what you just asked will again be asked on the next page or 2
    KenV54, xiaohuaxing and cudinhkien like this.
    01-19-12 09:35 AM
    I agree. Leak my rear. We are the beta testers for new releases.

The least they could do is have the courtesy of telling us what they think they've fixed.

As an aside, has anyone ever written about how leaks come about? Who are the mysterious leakers?
    Leaks and Official releases come from the same source...RIM. They create them and offer them to carriers. A "leak" becomes "official" when a carrier releases it for its customers. Someone else said that these should be renamed to avoid confusion...maybe "official" for leak and "carrier supported" for official.

This new OS release has been very stable for me and everything is working like it should be. Browser is good and at this point, battery drain has been insignificant. All my apps have worked without a glitch other than having to reset BerryWeather, but that is just standard fair. BB Protect worked without a problem.
    01-19-12 09:45 AM
    As an aside, has anyone ever written about how leaks come about? Who are the mysterious leakers?
    My understanding has always been that RIM releases new OS builds to all the carriers, and leaks come from someone working for the carriers or perhaps someone at RIM who works with the carriers. I could be wrong. In any event, whoever does leak should bundle the OS into a zip file with the release notes. I can't believe that RIM would release new OS builds to carriers without release notes.
    01-19-12 09:50 AM
    Now....findings

Since installing 13hrs ago, battery is surprisingly at 40% this morning. Browser renders non-mobile sites cleaner. No dropped calls or connection issues..yet. No calling over wifi, for AT&T users yet. Bluetooth, although I never had a connection issue, remains connected - I'll monitor how it affects the battery.
    How long have you been at that %? One of the things I noticed late last night was that I could drop 1-2% in a 1/2 hour, with .190. Then, if I had to o a reset because of removing an app, there'd be 20% lower after the reset. I've seen it happen a couple of times in the first several days, but it makes me question battery level reporting.
    01-19-12 10:20 AM
    If you don't mind sharing, which cod did you install? And were you able to bypass the hotspot login pop up, using your method?
    See my post here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-7-1-a-687819/

I am using BBH-Plus tool from BBHTool (Public Version) - Downloads - BBH-Plus Forums which I found it's more like a all-in-one tool. Wipe, then launch loader. Then from the Phone Tools tab, remove the stock "net_rim_api_wlan_hotspot.cod", then load the old version from v7.1.0.74 as attached. I still see the hotspot login pop up from phone though.

I also found the 2G option is available on the .205. I did not check if this option is available in .190 but I noticed when I am in a poor network coverage area the screen did show the EDGE connection.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-19-12 10:36 AM
    Here is the 2G option
    01-19-12 10:38 AM
    Here is the 2G option
    The "switching device to 2G" issues keeps coming up - Mecca and others have already stated: This is a CARRIER ISSUE - on AT&T devices, this feature is blocked. On TMOB (and probably other carriers) the feature is not blocked.

You are on TMOB - still have this feature. I, Mecca, and others who are on AT&T do not have this feature.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-19-12 10:44 AM
    Downloading now.
    Thanks for the news. In case you are interested, I'm not downloading now, but might later.
    kraski and hytran like this.
    01-19-12 10:45 AM
    How long have you been at that %? One of the things I noticed late last night was that I could drop 1-2% in a 1/2 hour, with .190. Then, if I had to o a reset because of removing an app, there'd be 20% lower after the reset. I've seen it happen a couple of times in the first several days, but it makes me question battery level reporting.
    From 9am to 9:13am

Here's where I am currently...
    01-19-12 10:57 AM
    Does any one know if you can swipe between messages? I love that function and it seems hit or miss on the OS releases.

I dont have a 9810, but when 7.1 dropped for the 9860, swiping in messages did not work either. When I checked though, it was there, but off by default.

Try this, Messages > Options > Messages Display and Options > Swipe Between Messages.

Not sure if that flow is identical on the 9810, but try and see. When I set that on, swiping was availabel again
    01-19-12 11:03 AM
    From 9am to 9:13am

Here's where I am currently...
    Are you doing better with .205 than you did with .190? Any other improvements? I'm just starting to see .190 settle in for me. So, for now, I'd really like to see something better in .205 before I abandon the .190 ship.
    01-19-12 11:09 AM
    Forgive me if I'm repeating what someone else already said. I've had a brutal day and only skimmed this thread...

Only had this installed for about an hour, but here's what I noticed so far... will edit as I find more items of interest.

In Text
    -clear field
    -check spelling
    -show symbols
    -clear conversation

In email
    - display style (single or group)
    - flag for follow up
    - search option (file)

In applications
    - playbook pairing (poynt)

In options
    - call management (seems like settings were more streamlined)
    - Networks and connections - blackberry bridge
    - options listed in network connections
    - Third party applications - personalization and privacy for BBM

BBM (now in menu)
    - delete contacts history
    - delete complete history
    - show symbols
    - scan BBM group barcode
    - view my profile

Phone book
    - sim contacts
    - filter
    - show on google maps
    - get directions with google maps

All around nicer cons (great job!)

Very, very, very nice.
    Thank you so much to all who contributed to making this and getting it out.
    I have a 9860 and most of these findings apply!

Thanks for this, and I hope you don't mind but I'm posting this in the 9860 thread for this OS leak.
    01-19-12 11:13 AM
    See my post here http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-7-1-a-687819/

I am using BBH-Plus tool from BBHTool (Public Version) - Downloads - BBH-Plus Forums which I found it's more like a all-in-one tool. Wipe, then launch loader. Then from the Phone Tools tab, remove the stock "net_rim_api_wlan_hotspot.cod", then load the old version from v7.1.0.74 as attached. I still see the hotspot login pop up from phone though.

I also found the 2G option is available on the .205. I did not check if this option is available in .190 but I noticed when I am in a poor network coverage area the screen did show the EDGE connection.
    Here is the 2G option
    I appreciate the effort and the info you shared. Correct, the login screen will return, using the cod you've provided. It just won't return the user select option for the antenna with AT&T customers. I made this attempt when .190 dropped. T-Mob customers, as Don stated, have not lost this capability. I think I overlooked what carrier you had listed in your sig, in your earlier post. I could have told you these results had I noticed. Thanks though

The "switching device to 2G" issues keeps coming up - Mecca and others have already stated: This is a CARRIER ISSUE - on AT&T devices, this feature is blocked. On TMOB (and probably other carriers) the feature is not blocked.

You are on TMOB - still have this feature. I, Mecca, and others who are on AT&T do not have this feature.
    cntrydncr223 and wing2299 like this.
    01-19-12 11:14 AM
    there are no vendor files in leaked OS's
    I had to remove TWO vendor.xml files with the 7.10.190 leak before the desktop app would recognize it as an available update.
    01-19-12 11:21 AM
    Nope in so mad now

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Swiping does work. Scroll to the bottom of page 6 for instructions
    01-19-12 11:29 AM
    Are you doing better with .205 than you did with .190? Any other improvements? I'm just starting to see .190 settle in for me. So, for now, I'd really like to see something better in .205 before I abandon the .190 ship.
    The only noticeable thing is web site rendering is cleaner, for non-mobile sites. Outside of that, there's no advantage to be had, if .190 is running fine for you.

I'm mainly looking to see if there's a marked improvement with the battery.
    kraski likes this.
    01-19-12 11:35 AM
    I dont have a 9810, but when 7.1 dropped for the 9860, swiping in messages did not work either. When I checked though, it was there, but off by default.

Try this, Messages > Options > Messages Display and Options > Swipe Between Messages.

Not sure if that flow is identical on the 9810, but try and see. When I set that on, swiping was availabel again
    Confirmed on the 9810... Thanks for the tip!
    01-19-12 11:43 AM
    +1

-Rich

I had to remove TWO vendor.xml files with the 7.10.190 leak before the desktop app would recognize it as an available update.
    01-19-12 11:48 AM

This new OS release has been very stable for me and everything is working like it should be. Browser is good and at this point, battery drain has been insignificant. All my apps have worked without a glitch other than having to reset BerryWeather, but that is just standard fair. BB Protect worked without a problem.
    Do you think it's significantly better than 190, especially in terms of battery drain, and therefore worth an upgrade from 190 as opposed to 7.0.0.540 or 585(?)?

Edit--I just saw this answered in part--that rendering of non-mobile sites is better in the 205 browser compared to 190, but nothing much else. Except maybe battery life? Do we know yet?
    Last edited by KenV54; 01-19-12 at 12:07 PM.
    blemoon42 likes this.
    01-19-12 12:04 PM
    That seems to vary, with no apparent reason for the difference. I had only one vendor.xml file. But, yes, there will always be at least one. And, yes, removing them seems to trigger DM to recognize that there's an upgrade.
    01-19-12 12:27 PM
    Edit--I just saw this answered in part--that rendering of non-mobile sites is better in the 205 browser compared to 190, but nothing much else. Except maybe battery life? Do we know yet?
    It's not even 24 hours, yet. It takes at least 48-72 hours to settle in enough to be sure of what "normal" battery life will be. I'm just getting to that point with .190. These two were released very close together.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-19-12 12:31 PM
    Confirmed on the 9810... Thanks for the tip!
    Sure, you're quite welcome!
    01-19-12 12:32 PM
    That seems to vary, with no apparent reason for the difference. I had only one vendor.xml file. But, yes, there will always be at least one. And, yes, removing them seems to trigger DM to recognize that there's an upgrade.
    It's a fact, they must be removed if the OS is not from your home carrier and you want to use DM to install.
    01-19-12 12:35 PM
    Hmm I added enterprise data pro 5GB with tethering for 4G devices and still hotspot is not working. Anyone have any ideas?
    01-19-12 12:46 PM
337 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD