Hey OhmEye - couple of questions:

1) Sounds like you had no problems shrinking - I was intending to do so, but didn't want to screw up the OS - no problems for you? I would like to shrink out some of the crap like the stupid start-up video, the wallpaper pics they include, etc.

2) I have not had the email problem you described - however, I am on BES so this might be the difference. Have you tried doing a selective delete using DTM?
    A1) No problems whatsoever with the shrink, and I am rather aggressive. If I remember correctly, I had 70MB in my java folder before I installed. Of course, something caused those emails to get stuck . . . I've never experienced that before.

A2) OK, this was the question I needed to answer! I didn't even remember that there was a data delete function in DTM. I thought might have to backup, wipe and do a selective restore, but found what I was looking for. Thank you so much for this! Email messages are called simply "Messages" in the data types list.

Problem solved!
    01-15-12 10:05 PM
    I'm liking this OS so far. I too am getting the hotspot error but I've only got the 2GB plan, so there ya go..

Even though I know that I'm not getting true 4G in my area, it's nice to see the little 4G logo instead of the H+ that has been there.. I know, I know, it's more like 3.5G, but I still like seeing it.

Little things that have been added like the .com in the virtual keyboard like mentioned by Bocajrs0, definitely are a nice touch.

I'm just starting to get used to the virtual keyboard and the slightly different ergonomics of the 9810's keys vs those of my 'old' 9700.
    01-15-12 10:05 PM
    1) Sounds like you had no problems shrinking - I was intending to do so, but didn't want to screw up the OS - no problems for you? I would like to shrink out some of the crap like the stupid start-up video, the wallpaper pics they include, etc.
    I shrunk mine and didn't have any issues.
    01-15-12 11:29 PM
    subscribing so I can find this thread again when I get to a better wifi connection area... and to think... I just upgraded to the new ATT authorized 7.0 os.
    01-16-12 12:30 AM
    subscribing so I can find this thread again when I get to a better wifi connection area... and to think... I just upgraded to the new ATT authorized 7.0 os.
    Too much information.
    01-16-12 01:00 AM
    Digging around I found an app from RIM that I never noticed before - Plans Application. I couldn't find anyway to launch it so I set it up as a quick launch. But it won't launch. Instead I get a message saying to contact my carrier. Anyone know what this is?
    01-16-12 07:10 AM
    I don't know if this is a 7.1 issue or a general blackberry issue (I will search for a solution, but I just thought I'd report it). I have four e-mail addresses activated on my BB, but for some reason I can only select from three of them as default CICAL service. The other doesn't appear on the list. I can select it as the default messaging service, but not for the calendar. I'll do some digging, but could someone confirm whether or not this is solely a 7.1 issue?

EDIT: Damn me and my simple problems. Re-sent service books, and the desired e-mail is there to select again. NOT a 7.1 issue at all.
    Last edited by srgvjam; 01-16-12 at 09:09 AM.
    01-16-12 09:01 AM
    You should see the battery life start to look really good in about 48 hours - I had not run any of the .74 hybrids; the best battery life I saw prior to 7.1 was on the .474 build of 7.0.

7.1 is nearly twice as good for me as .474 was - both from perspective of drain rate, as well as from a perspective of the percentage remaining after a day of hard use.

I did battery pulls at least once a day for the first 3-4 days . . .
    Several issues:

Can someone tell me if doing a reboot with alt-right shift-del is equivalent to a battery pull, or does the battery pull do more to "clear" the system?

I have not had the email delete issue described in another post.

The 4G signal is holding up well and in fact seems to be better in my indoor location as compared with 7.0.0.540

I finally increased my file memory back to its previous state by reinstalling a couple dictionaries and setting them to put the data files on the media card instead of in RMS databases on the device. That's how they were set up in the first place, but must have gotten corrupted with the upgrade. I still don't know how to get rid of some RMS database files that I know are superfluous, since you can only delete all of them and not selectively according to the app that is using each one. Or is there a way to view them and delete selectively?

Overall, this (7.1.0.190) is the fastest and least buggy OS I've had on the 9810.
    01-16-12 12:25 PM
    Several issues:

Can someone tell me if doing a reboot with alt-right shift-del is equivalent to a battery pull, or does the battery pull do more to "clear" the system?

I have not had the email delete issue described in another post.

The 4G signal is holding up well and in fact seems to be better in my indoor location as compared with 7.0.0.540

I finally increased my file memory back to its previous state by reinstalling a couple dictionaries and setting them to put the data files on the media card instead of in RMS databases on the device. That's how they were set up in the first place, but must have gotten corrupted with the upgrade. I still don't know how to get rid of some RMS database files that I know are superfluous, since you can only delete all of them and not selectively according to the app that is using each one. Or is there a way to view them and delete selectively?

Overall, this (7.1.0.190) is the fastest and least buggy OS I've had on the 9810.
    Hey Ken,

The battery pull vs. soft reboot question seems to be somewhat a "black art" or "snake oil" think (like do you benefit from doing a wipe before installing a new OS - or should you do 3 battery pulls 60 seconds apart after doing a hybrid install . . .) - there are people who swear by one or the other.

Here is how I look at it:

If I am doing something requiring a for sure, complete shut down (as in trying to reset something hanging badly or repeatedly, or anything related to battery operation, and ALWAYS after installing a new OS or app) - then I do a batter pull.

If I am simply trying a re-boot to fix a minor app glitch, or get past a "stuck" or slow responding app or UI operation, then I will do a soft reboot (CNTL-ALT-DELETE).

Since the keyboard on the Torch is not the easiest to do all 3 keys, I use a FREE app called ReStart Me - works great on 7.1 - if you want to do a reboot, you only have to open the ReStart Me app and then click one button in the app.

Hope that helps on your batter pull question . . .
    KenV54 likes this.
    01-16-12 03:33 PM
    My battery hasn't been good. I got to a stage with .74 where I was draining at about 6-7%/hour. I'm far worse now.

Attached is my log since installing 190, and the detail today. I uninstalled Advance OS and LED today thinking that may be the cause of my rapid deterioration in battery performance, and the first part of the day looked good, but this afternoon has crushed that hope.

BTW, this has been the same performance for two new batteries
    Last edited by jonty12; 01-16-12 at 04:56 PM.
    01-16-12 04:40 PM
    My battery hasn't been good. I got to a stage with .74 where I was draining at about 6-7%/hour. I'm far worse now.

Attached is my log since installing 190, and the detail today. I uninstalled Advance OS and LED today thinking that may be the cause of my rapid deterioration in battery performance, and the first part of the day looked good, but this afternoon has crushed that hope.

BTW, this has been the same performance for two new batteries
    Coming from .74, do you have Quincy installed, and if so is it running? Quincy is a battery hog diagnostic app, used for troubleshooting errors. If you have none, disable it. Also, if you have any apps that you may have sideloaded, from an OS6 device, remove it. Also, if you have ANY battery apps or monitoring tools, outside of what comes factory now, remove them. Meterberry is useless and is confirmed as a cpu hog - if you have it installed.
    01-16-12 05:36 PM
    Coming from .74, do you have Quincy installed, and if so is it running? Quincy is a battery hog diagnostic app, used for troubleshooting errors. If you have none, disable it. Also, if you have any apps that you may have sideloaded, from an OS6 device, remove it. Also, if you have ANY battery apps or monitoring tools, outside of what comes factory now, remove them. Meterberry is useless and is confirmed as a cpu hog - if you have it installed.
    I can verify Mecca's comment about Meterberry - I did not install it on .190 for the first few days - then last Saturday I re-installed - battery discharge rate almost doubled IMMEDIATELY - it is now un-installed once again.
    Blacklatino and Mecca EL like this.
    01-16-12 05:43 PM
    Negative on all. No Quincy, no sideloads, no meters.
    01-16-12 06:01 PM
    Jonty,

Curious - how many/how often did you do battery pulls during the first 3-4 days after install?
    01-16-12 06:37 PM
    On the analyzer screen, pull up the "details" screen and post pics of that info, if you don't mind. It will show you what app(s) is eating resources and battery
    01-16-12 06:56 PM
    Jonty,

Curious - how many/how often did you do battery pulls during the first 3-4 days after install?
    Quite a few. Lots of appworld reinstalled apps needed a pull. Generally did two for each.

Analyzer says I have an average of 72 modules and 70 processes running at any given time.
    01-16-12 07:10 PM
    On the analyzer screen, pull up the "details" screen and post pics of that info, if you don't mind. It will show you what app(s) is eating resources and battery
    Will do when the kids go to bed. Though I'm not promising much. I've looked. Nothing jumps out.
    01-16-12 07:11 PM
    here's an example:
    01-16-12 07:40 PM
    Upgraded this afternoon. So far, theis build seems smoother, waiting to see what battery life is like in a few days. I seem to have one glitch that I haven't seen reported before. On the homescreen, the phone doesn't seem to want to switch to landscape. Things like YouTube work fine, do change orientation. But not the homescreen. Am I the only one experiencing this?
    01-16-12 07:58 PM
    here's an example:
    I think you have rogue cods. You see how your second image shows apps running in its java code language and not in its installed language? Look in your apps, via device options application. If you see installed apps translated in its java language, uninstall and then reinstall those apps.
    Don_Henry likes this.
    01-16-12 08:05 PM
    Upgraded this afternoon. So far, theis build seems smoother, waiting to see what battery life is like in a few days. I seem to have one glitch that I haven't seen reported before. On the homescreen, the phone doesn't seem to want to switch to landscape. Things like YouTube work fine, do change orientation. But not the homescreen. Am I the only one experiencing this?
    Soft reset. That should clear up
    kraski likes this.
    01-16-12 08:06 PM
    Soft reset. That should clear up
    I've done a couple of battery pulls since installation, but I'll try it.
    01-16-12 08:45 PM
    Does anyone know what the Plans App does? It's new in this OS, so I am just curious what it is:

01-16-12 09:01 PM
    Does anyone know what the Plans App does? It's new in this OS, so I am just curious what it is:

Click to view quoted image
    See post # 7 and #10.
    I deleted it and it's fine. Didn't harm my device or it's applications.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...cation-673265/
    Mecca EL and tsells like this.
    01-16-12 09:37 PM
    I think you have rogue cods. You see how your second image shows apps running in its java code language and not in its installed language? Look in your apps, via device options application. If you see installed apps translated in its java language, uninstall and then reinstall those apps.
    not sure what you mean by this. when i look at my options/applications, nothing looks unusual. it's just a list of installed apps, then the details show the modules that the app uses.

in the second image it lists most used "modules", not most used applications, during the time period. in this case things like bluetooth, messages, etc. Which one looked wrong to you?

thanks for the help.
    01-16-12 09:44 PM
372 ... 12131415
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD