Man! im so disappointed! i don't know why but, in this past 2 days my battery drain has increased! no im not getting even till night! one more day like that and i'm going back to .540 build that was working excellent for me!
    Before I'd ever go back to 7.0, I'd try anything to find out if there were something causing a drain. I'd even try wiping and reloading the OS first. 7.1 is definitely a faster OS than 7.0.
    01-12-12 03:45 PM
    How do I use UMA?? :$
    Not every carrier supports it, so the first thing you need to determine is if your carrier does. In Canada only Rogers supports UMA. I think t-mobile supports it in the USA.

If you are on a carrier that supports UMA like Rogers, you will need to sign up for the WiFi Calling optional service. I've got it for free on my phone because I live in an area where their signal is so weak I can't use the cellular network at home, but for those who need to pay it is (I think) $ 10 for unlimited local calling and $ 15 for Canada-wide calling. Wifi calling only works when you are in-country, however Rogers is rolling out another add-on unlimited roaming option for wifi calling when in the States, which is interesting if you travel back and forth and stay at sites that have WiFi - could be much cheaper than buying add-on blocks of roaming time for cell calls.

Once you've got WiFi calling added to your account, you simpy need to enable it in the phone settings. Once enabled, whenever you are connected to a wifi network, the UMA icon will appear and your calls will be transported over WiFi not the cell network.

On the 9800 you could start a call on wifi, leave the premises and start driving and never drop the call, it would automatically switch over to the cell network (or vice versa). However there have been reports that the wifi/cell hand-off isn't working in 7.1.

Hope this helps!
    01-12-12 03:46 PM
    How can I install this OS using a Macbook? Is there a way to do it? Cause I tried to update to a 7.0 OS before and I couldn't get that to work.
    01-12-12 03:54 PM
    Mobile Hotspot -- well the free service anyway -- is jeopardized when upgrading to this OS. Any page I go to on my PB browser (the normal browser, not the bridge browser) gets redirected to the T-Mobile hotspot service add-on page. This didn't happen in the 7.1.0.74 hybrid.

Does anybody know of older COD files that can be swapped in to restore normal Mobile Hotspot function without the DNS redirect? There was some mention in the 9810 forum about swapping in an older net_rim_api_wlan_hotspot COD, but this didn't work. For the moment I've downgraded back to the '74 hybrid.
    01-12-12 04:11 PM
    Didn't see it posted yet, so hopefully this is not already in this thread somewhere, but I noticed today that when using the touch keyboard within the browser, there is now a ".com" button that I did not have before. Quite helpful.
    01-12-12 04:25 PM
    Before I'd ever go back to 7.0, I'd try anything to find out if there were something causing a drain. I'd even try wiping and reloading the OS first. 7.1 is definitely a faster OS than 7.0.
    JasW, im kinda new to the world of blackberry. i know basic stuff but, i don't know how to wipe it to reload the OS. if you can explain it to me, i'll be very thankfull and do it right away.

another thing that happen to me and i forgot to mention it was that while i was making the upgrade, my torch got stuck while the DM says "trying to connect to JVM" (i believe so) and a 507 error came in the screen. i don't know if this happen to anyone.
    01-12-12 07:13 PM
    Hi all. For the record, incase anyone needs to know. I'm running this in Canada with Bell Pre Paid and the WiFi hotspot works just fine for me.

2 days in and I haven't had one issue to speak of and the battery life is already good but I can tell its getting better as it "settles in".
    swiftex likes this.
    01-12-12 11:00 PM
    I installed this morning using DM and everything seemed smooth until I realized that one of my email accounts contains several emails that cannot be deleted. When I attempt to delete any of the mail that I received before the upgrade, either by using the menu Delete, the red "X", or the delete key, I get the delete confirmation dialogue as expected but the email remains in my inbox. Has anyone else experienced this? Any fixes?
    01-13-12 01:25 AM
    Well, you can allow the OS to settle before rolling back to 7.0. I got serious battery drain too after installing 7.1.0.190, about 36 hrs later my battery performance improved to my satisfaction.
    Also, make sure you are not loading from backups after installation, install ur application fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-13-12 05:01 AM
    Update on my anal retentive quest to get WiFi Music Sync.

Was using DM 7.x beta, which has worked for me since November. Tried repairing it in case some files got corrupted. Turned Sync off completeley, batt pull, PC reboot. Ran music sync again from DM. The catalog builds on DM and all appears to work. When I disconnect from the USB I see the progress bar along the bottom of my BB music app and see the music files growing on top. But never see Music Sync anywhere on my BB or on the app listing of DM. But it does appear in the DM main screen.

Then removed 7.x with the official 6.x from RIM's website. Rebooted and repeated all of above. No dice.

Odd that some folks have it, but some of us don't. At least I know I'm not the only one.
    01-13-12 05:46 AM
    Update on my anal retentive quest to get WiFi Music Sync.

Was using DM 7.x beta, which has worked for me since November. Tried repairing it in case some files got corrupted. Turned Sync off completeley, batt pull, PC reboot. Ran music sync again from DM. The catalog builds on DM and all appears to work. When I disconnect from the USB I see the progress bar along the bottom of my BB music app and see the music files growing on top. But never see Music Sync anywhere on my BB or on the app listing of DM. But it does appear in the DM main screen.

Then removed 7.x with the official 6.x from RIM's website. Rebooted and repeated all of above. No dice.

Odd that some folks have it, but some of us don't. At least I know I'm not the only one.
    You'll still get Wifi Music Sync on DM even if it's not installed on your BB. I recall that being the case when I had it uninstalled on my BB for a while.

Now that you're at this desperate point, try injecting the .cod files -- I've bundled the five of them for you here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40937199/wifimusicsynccods.zip

For the record, they are:

net_rim_bb_bbvegas_commons.cod
    net_rim_bb_bbvegas_core.cod
    net_rim_bb_bbvegas_otasync.cod
    net_rim_bb_bbvegas_resource_en.cod
    net_rim_bb_sddagent.cod

Apropos of nothing, the memory leak is pretty bad on my device with this build. I've been dropping about 50MB in around 10 hours or so. I had a leak on 7.0, which I tried to track down unsuccessfully, but it seems to be a bit worse on 7.1.
    Altarocks likes this.
    01-13-12 07:51 AM
    You'll still get Wifi Music Sync on DM even if it's not installed on your BB. I recall that being the case when I had it uninstalled on my BB for a while.

Now that you're at this desperate point, try injecting the .cod files -- I've bundled the five of them for you here:
    Not sure it's healthy that you're feeding my OCD. I feel like the donkey and you're dangling the carrot.

I normally wouldn't keep filling a thread with my one issue, but since others have it too, I'll keep it going. Gotta head to a meeting, but I'll definitely give this a shot later today. Thanks JasW.
    01-13-12 08:30 AM
    Apropos of nothing, the memory leak is pretty bad on my device with this build. I've been dropping about 50MB in around 10 hours or so. I had a leak on 7.0, which I tried to track down unsuccessfully, but it seems to be a bit worse on 7.1.
    I have had minimal memory leak in the last two days with this OS. Yesterday I lost just 3MB for the day until I re-booted, as I updated an app.
    Maybe WiFi Music Sync is the memory leak culprit?
    01-13-12 08:41 AM
    I might be wrong on these:
    1) When u search contacts/apps etc from the home screen, it now gives you a 'search with bing' option.
    2) It's easier to manage waiting calls while on a call.
    01-13-12 09:10 AM
    Hotspot Questions/Observations:

Unlike the leaked 7.1.0.74 OS that Mecca pieced together (http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...taller-676884/), I can't find anywhere in this 7.1.0.190 build where you can control which APN to use for the Hotspot connection. With Mecca's build, you are prompted for the APN and username/password when you activate the Hotspot. This is important to me, since with Bell Mobility (my carrier) if you use the "inet.bell.ca" APN you get charged "pay-per-use data", whereas the "pda.bell.ca" APN shows up as "unlimited mobile browser". I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Bell that doesn't include tethering (and it never will...) thus I have to be very careful which APN I use since the pay-per-use data rate is charged at $8/MB.

So...has anyone found out if/where the APN is set? I've experimented with the Hotspot feature in the 7.1.0.190 build and it definitely shows up as pay-per-use data. I've since reverted to 7.1.0.74 (overlayed over the 7.1.0.190 build) and I get my APN choices back.
    Last edited by webmeister; 01-13-12 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Typo.
    01-13-12 10:28 AM
    Thank you to all who have posted. I read all 19 pages (as of yesterday) and as a newbie installing a leaked OS for the first time it was of great help. All went well with the installation on my 9810 (Telus) and there was no need to delete the vendor file (which I noted from a fellow Telus users note). I did receive the error code when loading (using DM) but did not panic since I had read about it. OS is working great and is definitely more responsive. Hotspot available right away without any login required. Wi-Fi calling doesn't show up but I don't believe Telus offers it yet (no need as my plan has 2000 minutes included as well as unlimited LD)! Too bad the 9810 doesn't have NFC though. Thanks again to all who have posted!!
    GumbyQc likes this.
    01-13-12 11:11 AM
    I think you jinxed me. The same day I read this I started getting low memory messages. Looking at the history, memory has been low every day, sometimes down to zero. Started digging and device analyzer offers a lot of details on it under "Test Device Responsiveness". Since I rarely knew of any previous memory issues I never paid attention to how what I store impacts memory. I tend to incorrectly think of memory like a computer's RAM and forget that mobile devices use it for storage, not just computing. Don't really want to dig through and delete things, but maybe I'll try for some of the easier ones.

Found a lot of content that I need to decide whether to keep or ditch. I learned I've got 23MB of messages and attachements stored, and that they are stored in memory. Also 46 MB of apps, some of which are huge (BB Traffic is over 5 MB!). Don't want to lose Traffic, but maybe I'll whittle down the others. 43 MB used of Built-in Media, which I didn't know about - thought I saved everything to my SD card.

I'm sure there is still a memory leak with the device, but for now I'm gonna try to get rid of some needless fluff.
    01-13-12 01:35 PM
    OFFICIAL UPDATE FROM T-MOBILE

I downloaded this leak a few days ago and just hooked up my 9810 to back it up in prep for the upgrade, and DM informed me of the official upgrade. I'm on T-Mobile. It says version 7.1 bundle 561. Sorry if this is old news or an older version.
    01-13-12 03:21 PM
    Hotspot Questions/Observations:

Unlike the leaked 7.1.0.74 OS that Mecca pieced together (http://forums.crackberry.com/leaked-...taller-676884/), I can't find anywhere in this 7.1.0.190 build where you can control which APN to use for the Hotspot connection. With Mecca's build, you are prompted for the APN and username/password when you activate the Hotspot. This is important to me, since with Bell Mobility (my carrier) if you use the "inet.bell.ca" APN you get charged "pay-per-use data", whereas the "pda.bell.ca" APN shows up as "unlimited mobile browser". I have a grandfathered unlimited data plan with Bell that doesn't include tethering (and it never will...) thus I have to be very careful which APN I use since the pay-per-use data rate is charged at $8/MB.

So...has anyone found out if/where the APN is set? I've experimented with the Hotspot feature in the 7.1.0.190 build and it definitely shows up as pay-per-use data. I've since reverted to 7.1.0.74 (overlayed over the 7.1.0.190 build) and I get my APN choices back.
    Look under Options/Device/Advanced System Settings/TCP IP.
    Mecca EL and webmeister like this.
    01-13-12 03:22 PM
    Ok, so the update looks exactly like what everyone has said for the leak. The new apps, the wifi calling, the mobile hotspot, etc. Just so I understand, you have to have a mobile hotspot plan right? Is there a way to tether for free? I'm on t-mobile, and it's $14.99 per month, which even with my playbook isn't really worth it.
    01-13-12 04:28 PM
    Ok, so the update looks exactly like what everyone has said for the leak. The new apps, the wifi calling, the mobile hotspot, etc. Just so I understand, you have to have a mobile hotspot plan right? Is there a way to tether for free? I'm on t-mobile, and it's $14.99 per month, which even with my playbook isn't really worth it.
    Use the Bridge app.
    01-13-12 04:56 PM
    I installed 7.1 last night 1 Major observation I am seeing is the Network Handoff Getting stuck (probably due to the 2g/3g option being removed). I had to constantly turn my radio off and on to regain access. My calls were not coming through and my outgoing calls were constant call failed.

are there any COD's I can inject to possibily correct this?

I dont care much for the hotspot as I have an Elevate LTE I just want to get the OS working right. I dont want to go back to CRAP T&T's .583

I also noticed when I turn the radio off and on the letters below the e-mail icons go bold and back to normal.

Anyone else having these issues?
    01-13-12 06:36 PM
    Well, you can allow the OS to settle before rolling back to 7.0. I got serious battery drain too after installing 7.1.0.190, about 36 hrs later my battery performance improved to my satisfaction.
    Also, make sure you are not loading from backups after installation, install ur application fresh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    the thing is that this is my 4rth day and it's getting worse! im seriously thinking to roll back unless i find the way to wipe my device and load the OS again....
    01-13-12 07:32 PM
    the thing is that this is my 4rth day and it's getting worse! im seriously thinking to roll back unless i find the way to wipe my device and load the OS again....
    Wipe and reload. You should not be experiencing that issue.
    01-13-12 09:00 PM
    Wipe and reload. You should not be experiencing that issue.
    Sorry to be asking this but, how do i wipe and reload my torch? can anyone hook me with some kind of tutorial or anything so i can do that
    01-13-12 11:26 PM
372 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD