Well is TMO had EOL'd the 9810 will they release 7.1 for it? I hope so. If not I will live off of the leaks.
    It's likely this build was tailored for them, the presence of the T-Mobile Name ID app being fairly convincing evidence so I would hope they release it officially despite their decision about the 9810.

If not, we have these leaks to fall back on (which I like), but the install process is tricky enough for those trying to do so for the first time without taking the time to familiarize themselves with all the steps and pitfalls. If such users need neither Wifi Calling nor hotspot, then they probably won't gain all that much from the upgrade aside from learning how to install a leaked OS (which is a reward by itself).
    01-10-12 10:48 AM
    UPDATE AGAIN... This time with photos!

New thing: even a 8% battery left, it now appears that the radio remains active, where it once would be cut off by default.
    01-10-12 11:06 AM
    Second day with 7.1 now. Typing this post was a bugger because everything was terribly laggy. Haven't noticed any other areas where it was slower than any other build. Hotspot does not work on mts, I get a message telling me to call my provider when I try to activate it. This did not happen with .74. Previously I would just get a ,message saying to try again later because of a temporary network error. Heck with this. Typing this is taking more time than its worth. Hope this clears up cause there's a lot of new features that I would like to keep
    sofakingcdn likes this.
    01-10-12 12:01 PM
    error 507 while updating!! stuck on reconnecting to JVM

please help
    Had the same issue on first install. I unplug the USB cable and the installation continued without problem.
    01-10-12 12:17 PM
    I completely agree that it's good to help a novice. But I respectfully disagree that the posts in question are helpful. They are not only cumulative of posts in countless other threads by users who have difficulty loading an OS, but also repetitive of the self-help threads in BlackBerry 101 and the like.

Moreover, such posts thoroughly detract from the topic of this thread -- which is findings and fixes for this particular OS version. That's ultimately unhelpful to those of us who must wade through literally dozens of pages full of this sort of dreck to extract a mere handful of cogent observations regarding the OS in question.

Findings and fixes threads have always had their filler (and I admit to the irony in adding to it now), such as the "downloading now!" and "just installed, will report back later" posts. Within the last several months, however, they have become infested with people seeking help on how to load on OS. Ideally, as you suggest, these people could be gently guided to the appropriate place, particularly if they persist in having problems. But whose job is that?

As to the effort involved, I've seen pkcable easily clean up threads with a much greater number of objectionable and interwoven posts than this one.

This is not my playground, however, so I must respectfully defer to your judgment.
    I think it's awesome that so many people took the time and energy to help one person be a happy BB user. That, IMHO, is what these forums are for.

While it's true that some of this info could possibly have been attained in another thread, or that PM was an option, we can't know that along the way, it didn't help any other users. This, after all, is a HELP forum.

I think, while it does get aggravating or annoying answering the same questions over and over, or seeing the same thing over and over (has anyone noticed how many social scope invitation threads keep getting started, or is it just me?), it would be best to bear firmly in mind that we, too, were a novice at one point and that what goes around, comes around.

It's much nicer to get HELP from the HELP forum than static.

My deepest appreciation to those who have helped me and didn't disparage me when I needed help.
    Mecca EL, Don_Henry and kraski like this.
    01-10-12 12:18 PM
    Minor update:

Just added tethering to my T-Mobile plan; one battery pull later, my wifi-only tablet was on the 'net without any issue. Download speed looks decent, though not great (will need to test somewhere with a better signal later on).
    01-10-12 12:30 PM
    Look in "options/device/advanced settings" At the bottom of that list is the Blackberry Device Analyzer. If you don't see it, rroyy.com has an ota of the same program available for installation.

I use it over ANY 3rd party app, because it works. No leaked resources, battery drains, or misreadings.
    If this had a meter in the notification bar it would be perfect.

I'm still not seeing it. Replaced the included 1.0.0.79 w/ rroyy.com's 1.0.0.77. No graph. Really liked this as part of .074.
    01-10-12 12:30 PM
    If this had a meter in the notification bar it would be perfect.

I'm still not seeing it. Replaced the included 1.0.0.79 w/ rroyy.com's 1.0.0.77. No graph. Really liked this as part of .074.
    Click the "battery discharging too quickly" option. start logging. graph will then be generated.
    Altarocks and Mecca EL like this.
    01-10-12 12:33 PM
    In browser, virtual keyboard have a ".com" next to the space key which i did not notice in earlier version.
    01-10-12 12:37 PM
    Click the "battery discharging too quickly" option. start logging. graph will then be generated.
    Dohhhh! Thanks for the reminder - forgot I had to do that the first time on .074 to initiate it.
    01-10-12 12:38 PM
    ok awesome!!!!!!!!!!! i got os 7.1.0.190! thank you to all that helped. its very veryyyyyy appreciated. ! im having trouble with the hot spot? i have the hot spot 4gb plan on att. so i dont see why its not working. ima do a battery pull and see what happens.

omg. its working!!! very fast! omg and the 4g icon! this is epic!!! thank u all so damn much. :') it brings me to tears knowing how much u all care <3 no homo.

ok now i can report some findings.. mobile hot spot works amazingly smooth! works just as fast, if not faster than home wifi! no lags whatsoever on my playbook watching youtube vids! the 4g icon is a nice touch. and thats it so far.
    Congrats and enjoy! (And don't worry, it gets easier.)
    Happy, confident BB users. This is what it's all about.
    Mecca EL and Blacklatino like this.
    01-10-12 12:49 PM
    Dohhhh! Thanks for the reminder - forgot I had to do that the first time on .074 to initiate it.
    Hahahahahahahaha!!!! It happens man!
    01-10-12 12:58 PM
    New feauture:

When phone is in bedside mode, you can now select alarm clock settings below clock (icon with clock + sign, allows to turn on and off).
    I noticed that when using the stopwatch, you can no longer exit by freckle > exit. on reopening the app, it's still sitting on stopwatch.

Also, as before, in leaving the app, it continues to run in the backgroud.

To leave the stopwatch, you must choose clock from the menu.
    01-10-12 01:21 PM
    I installed it last night with only one hang up during the restore process but got through it no problem. I am happy report that it does feel quicker and snappier then previous builds. I am on Rogers and the Hotspot works although a warning does pop up that extra charges may apply when i turn it on. I have not yet tried the Wi-Fi calling but it does shoe up in the phone options.

As for the manually switching from 3g/4g to 2g I have no problems doing so.

Also it seems that the key tone sound has changed on the virtual keypad, hard to describe the sound but it is definitely different.
    Last edited by dzegers; 01-10-12 at 01:29 PM.
    01-10-12 01:26 PM
    Mecca..did you update to one of their 2 or 4g Tethering plans? I have unlimited plan and from what I gather I wont be able to use Mobile Hotspot unless i downgrade and pay more $$$$
    Same here. Have to give up grandfathered unlimited plan, and pay for XX data plan, coupled with service activation to make it work. Seems backwards...
    01-10-12 01:41 PM
    After the first day with numerous battery pulls (5 or 6) and a number of reboots, my battery life has really improved. On .585 I woud be down to 65% by this time (3pm). Instead I am at 75% and I have been using the phone hard! Lookin' Good!
    xXBLACKBERRYXx5 likes this.
    01-10-12 01:49 PM
    Same here. Have to give up grandfathered unlimited plan, and pay for XX data plan, coupled with service activation to make it work. Seems backwards...
    Seems like a bunch of f'ing BS. I'm in the same boat. AT&T is a bunch of rip off. I pay for unlimited, I should get unlimited. Something needs to be done!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    cntrydncr223 and cntrydncr223 like this.
    01-10-12 01:55 PM
    DO NOT DOWNGRADE.

I just recently switched to ATT from Tmob. If I was grandfathered in, I wouldn't sweat the hotspot feature, because they will eventually allow it's function to those that have been with them for a while. To be honest with you, I'd gladly join any similar long time ATT client in writing a complaint to ATT's CEO, because this is predatory in practice.
    I'd sign that.

I've been with Cingular/ATT for like 15 years or better.

I won't change mine because with the unlimited data plan I don't have to sweat it on the data transfer, usage overages, etc. (and it's un-do-able - nice word, eh?)

Additionally, with the direction of the OS's (thanks again to all those involved with it's evolution), we'll have hotspot functionality built in sooner or later.

Perhaps one day we'll even ping off each other's towers...
    01-10-12 01:58 PM
    ok so i dont think ive seen any one else report this finding. but when u touch like the "all" on the home screen to bring up apps it usually leaves that area blue or whatever. but now it doesnt. it just flashes blue for when ur finger is on there and it goes away. that always annoyed me that it would stay blue. same with the notifications tab and the time area where u can see wifi mobile network ect. and also battery life seems good exept when u use mobile hotspot. but i mean what do u expect when other devices are feeding off of your phone? lol
    01-10-12 02:18 PM
    I upgraded to 7.1.0.190. But I don't have "Mobile Hotspot" in Network and Connections. How to fix it?
    are u 10000% sure it went through properly? cuz when i did mine it said updated on the apploader but then nothing really happened. does it say ur on os 7.1 on bb desktop software?

or even another short way to check is go into email on ur phone and on the subject line type in "myver" and hit the space key. itll show u ur current os. (:
    Last edited by xXBLACKBERRYXx5; 01-10-12 at 02:30 PM.
    01-10-12 02:23 PM
    Yes..I think it's bs and im going to wait out a bit and see what happens when ATT officially rolls this out..I dont think this will change, but who knows. In the end, i may call ATT and b1tch to them to see if they can allow my tethering to be activated on my unlimited plan (I know, just wishing, but dont think it'll happen)
    xXBLACKBERRYXx5 likes this.
    01-10-12 02:38 PM
    Just installed it here, worked like a breeze. Didn't even have to delete vendor.xml and worked without having to unplug the network. I'm on Telus. The upgrade ran butter smooth for me just like an official OS install. Wifi hotspot works like a charm.
    Last edited by mjolnirgs; 01-10-12 at 03:09 PM. Reason: added comment about wifi
    01-10-12 03:07 PM

NEW FEATURE!!! Unless I'm slow, and don't really dig into the device functions as others do, while on a call and tapping the MUTE virt/key, my device now vibrates, indicating that I am now in MUTE. Not sure if I like that or not, but it is interesting.
    Have you found a way to disable this? I've been on conference calls all afternoon and it's been driving me nuts! Also seems to KILL the battery. I need this vibration to stop!
    01-10-12 03:56 PM
    Just installed it here, worked like a breeze. Didn't even have to delete vendor.xml and worked without having to unplug the network. I'm on Telus. The upgrade ran butter smooth for me just like an official OS install. Wifi hotspot works like a charm.
    I am curious - did you come from a 7.0 OS or from a 7.1 hybrid - and if from 7.0, did you lose any apps?
    01-10-12 05:04 PM
    You won't see any pluses in the battery yet, on a fresh install. It takes at least 3 days. Also, if you're running any monitoring apps that are not made in-house - like Meterberry - expect your battery mileage to decrease.

No Mecca, I'm not running anything in my blackberry except from the five apps that are always runing (mail, home, browser, phone and bbm). I'm very carefull with my battery drainage because sometimes i cant go home to charge my phone at nites and i hate carring arround the charger.

on the battery side today i've seen even more drainage but i think is cause some places at work i get very crappy 3G-4G signal, and now i can't choose between them.

hope somenone finds the way.
    01-10-12 05:08 PM
372 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD