Any other enhancements/improvements on this OS besides Mobile Hotspot added?
    At least I realized I can lock the screen with Slider closed.
    01-09-12 12:50 PM
    If this is an AT&T thing - might have to do the "engineering screen thing" like when I first got my Bold 9000 before AT&T allowed network switching.

I don't remember how this was done (a long time ago . . . ) - so if anyone can share the methodology, it would be highly appreciated by us AT&T prisoners . .

Unless, of course, Mecca the Guru can figure out a workaround!!
    I remember that well, and actually happened to find the instructions digitalb0y posted for getting to the escreens and switching between 2G and 3G on the 9000:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...anding-207789/

I've no idea if the escreens instructions will work on the 9810, but I don't see why they wouldn't.
    Mecca EL and Don_Henry like this.
    01-09-12 12:52 PM
    At least I realized I can lock the screen with Slider closed.
    small feature but yes i love it!
    01-09-12 12:53 PM
    I upgraded to 7.1.0.190. But I don't have "Mobile Hotspot" in Network and Connections. Is this something to do with service books?
    Last edited by drunkorexia; 01-09-12 at 01:00 PM.
    01-09-12 12:56 PM
    do i have to have a special program to get the file onto bb desktop software? i have the latest version of bb desktop software.
    You make it very obvious that you're new to this. I'm suggesting, for future reference, that you read and search for any questions that you may have before asking, because all that you're inquiring about has already been answered in detail, in many a thread. My reply is not to belittle or aggravate you in any way, because we ALL have questions that need answering. It's just that in the middle of a thread, where results are usually reported, you're asking about installation.

Now that that has been said, lets help you:

OS, short for Operating System, when it comes to a blackberry device, is first installed on a users computer. The reason this is so is to insure a clean read and write from the host computer to the device. It can be done over the air - known as OTA - but OTA's of a large file can prove to be a problem. For one, if the signal is lost...brick, lost back up of programs AND contacts.

Once the OS for your model device is installed and prepped for transference to your device, you will see a prompt asking if you would like to start DM. Select that you would and all you have to do is plug up your phone/device and follow the prompts.

Once the OS is installed on your phone, you can delete it from your host computer, since it is no longer necessary.

It in NO way controls any aspect of your phone, after installation.

Hope this helps. If there's anything that you don't understand, or searched for but couldn't find, send me a PM. I don't know it all, but I know enough to get you up and running.
    01-09-12 01:04 PM
    I remember that well, and actually happened to find the instructions digitalb0y posted for getting to the escreens and switching between 2G and 3G on the 9000:

I've no idea if the escreens instructions will work on the 9810, but I don't see why they wouldn't.
    It is in the escreens...

Radio Engineering Screens (3GPP)->3GPP Radio Engineering Screens->Operational Info

Scroll down to PLMN Selection and press the menu key. Options to scan UTRAN only, GERAN only and GERAN + UTRAN.

GERAN only switched me to EDGE only, UTRAN put me on "4G" only and GERAN + UTRAN will let it switch to whatever, presumably giving "4G" priority, which I assume is the default.

I take no responsibility for anyone screwing up their phone by dinking around in the escreens
    Last edited by hytran; 01-09-12 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Forgot the first menu item in the escreen...
    Mecca EL and Don_Henry like this.
    01-09-12 01:10 PM
    Decided to install this one today as I really wanted the WiFi HostSpot feature.
    I had to delete the vendor.xml file from two locations before BB Desktop would recognize the new version. Once both vendor.xml files were gone it immediately prompted me with an offer to install the 7.1 software, which I gladly accepted. During the "loading new software" stage it stalled and the phone display an error 507... I think my heart skipped a beat... I was in the middle of another task, so I let it sit while I finished my work-related stuff.. When I got back to it, there was still the error message on the phone, but the computer had prompted to re-connect the phone and try again... which I did. It immediately started copying new files and hopes for success soared!

Anyway.. it finished installing, restored my application settings (minus a few app registrations that I've still got to re-enter) and successfully completed the upgrade.

It re-registed with RIM, my local BES and the rest of the world.

So far... everything works, including the mobile hotspot feature. Note: I do have an AT&T 4G Tethering plan, so YMMV if you do not.

Once I get all the apps re-registered and everything else settled, I'll update with any problems / observations.
    01-09-12 01:15 PM

Thanks, Jas . . if Mecca the Guru does not find a workaround, I will give this a try and report back . . once I have time to install 7.1 - DAMNED JOB KEEPS GETTING IN THE WAY!!!!
    01-09-12 01:17 PM
    Mecca..did you update to one of their 2 or 4g Tethering plans? I have unlimited plan and from what I gather I wont be able to use Mobile Hotspot unless i downgrade and pay more $$$$
    DO NOT DOWNGRADE.

I just recently switched to ATT from Tmob. If I was grandfathered in, I wouldn't sweat the hotspot feature, because they will eventually allow it's function to those that have been with them for a while. To be honest with you, I'd gladly join any similar long time ATT client in writing a complaint to ATT's CEO, because this is predatory in practice.
    cntrydncr223 and Bocajrs0 like this.
    01-09-12 01:17 PM
    It is in the escreens...

3GPP Radio Engineering Screens->Operational Info

Scroll down to PLMN Selection and press the menu key. Options to scan UTRAN only, GERAN only and GERAN + UTRAN.

GERAN only switched me to EDGE only, UTRAN put me on "4G" only and GERAN + UTRAN will let it switch to whatever, presumably giving "4G" priority, which I assume is the default.

I take no responsibility for anyone screwing up their phone by dinking around in the escreens
    Yup - I remember this now - deja vu to my early Bold 9000 days . . . thanks for verifying that it is still there!
    01-09-12 01:20 PM
    Does anyone know if this OS changes anything to do with BIS? I am on Rogers with an unlocked device. The OS i am running now wont let me switch SIM cards without first wiping the device. I want to be able to do this when i travel so I don't have to pay roaming fees. I am currently running the 7.0.0.540 right now.
    I suggest giving it a go. Worst that can happen is it doesn't work and you have to downgrade. But this OS is a thousand times better than any os 7.0.
    01-09-12 01:21 PM
    Yup - I remember this now - deja vu to my early Bold 9000 days . . . thanks for verifying that it is still there!
    No problem - it just "moved" a little bit LOL

Forgot the first item - Radio Engineering Screens (3GPP), I updated my post. But then those who belong in the escreens would have figured that out already...
    Last edited by hytran; 01-09-12 at 01:24 PM.
    01-09-12 01:22 PM
    I decided to try hotspot. It set up slick as heck, but wanted to charge me $14.00 a month extra to do it, so I did not activate it. The feature will work with this OS and Tmobile and a 9810, though.

And again, UMA works.
    01-09-12 01:23 PM
    Oh, and of course, after a half hour of use I can report "it is snappier and has much better battery life"
    01-09-12 01:25 PM
    DO NOT DOWNGRADE.

I just recently switched to ATT from Tmob. If I was grandfathered in, I wouldn't sweat the hotspot feature, because they will eventually allow it's function to those that have been with them for a while. To be honest with you, I'd gladly join any similar long time ATT client in writing a complaint to ATT's CEO, because this is predatory in practice.
    Mecca - I will gladly join you in this effort - I have been with AT&T for like 9 years (maybe longer) - would be grandfathered on unlimited, except I believed the bastards and changed to the BES plan when my company got a BES server. Found out later that the BES plan is unnecessary - but then it was too late and I am now on a 2GB data plan.

Later on today, I will PM you my private email and you can reply with yours so we can begin coroborating on a letter of complaint.
    Mecca EL and cntrydncr223 like this.
    I upgraded to 7.1.0.190. But I don't have "Mobile Hotspot" in Network and Connections. Is this something to do with service books?
    Reinstall. Not only should you see it from tapping the top of the screen, and getting the connections drop down menu, it's 3rd in the connections line up
    i have a day now with this build and somethings i've notice are:

1- I have an at&t phone that a brought to honduras and i have the same issue of the changing between EDGE, 3G and 4G --> i can't switch between them anymore.
    2- battery life for me has decreased like about 10-15% from the one i was getting with .540, but i think is because i can't change between EDGE - 4G and 4G signal is very crappy where i live.

but overall is all good. I have mobile hotspot working also.
    01-09-12 01:32 PM
    DO NOT DOWNGRADE.

I've been with ATT/Cingular for the last 9 years so this feature should be included in such plan. To be quite honest, unless we complain/b!tch it probably wont happen. ? is how long can i wait to be able to use this function on my Torch once i run this upgrade tonight?
    01-09-12 01:34 PM
    Mecca - I will gladly join you in this effort - I have been with AT&T for like 9 years (maybe longer) - would be grandfathered on unlimited, except I believed the bastards and changed to the BES plan when my company got a BES server. Found out later that the BES plan is unnecessary - but then it was too late and I am now on a 2GB data plan.

Later on today, I will PM you my private email and you can reply with yours so we can begin coroborating on a letter of complaint.
    Sweet! It's crooked as to force long time users to reduce their service plan, just to enjoy their devices. Being a newly subscribed client, I don't mind. I've been in this since the cellphone days - yes, people, these are NOT cellphones - when Sprint was number one, Cingular was a baby, and the StarTac was the IT phone. Service providers will milk until another upstart offers better service, THEN they'll offer..dare I say...unlimited features again.
    cntrydncr223 likes this.
    01-09-12 01:37 PM
    It is in the escreens...

Radio Engineering Screens (3GPP)->3GPP Radio Engineering Screens->Operational Info

No dice for me, going this route. I'm going back one more java series - the .74 build - then chalking it up to the sfi files being updated to auto-selection of available radios. Why I further suspect this is the case is because I received email from ATT this morning, stating that LTE has gone live and is available in my area.
    01-09-12 01:45 PM
    No dice for me, going this route. I'm going back one more java series - the .74 build - then chalking it up to the sfi files being updated to auto-selection of available radios. Why I further suspect this is the case is because I received email from ATT this morning, stating that LTE has gone live and is available in my area.
    Hey Mecca - do you mean replacing the sfi in .190 with the sfi from .74?
    01-09-12 01:55 PM
    Excellent! looking forward to testing it out.
    Did you get this installed and running yet? If so does the hot spot work with out adding tethering to my plan?

Thanks
    01-09-12 02:05 PM
    First time in like 20 OS upgrades I have a bricked phone it just blinks red led 2 times continuously Time to pull out my 9800 for back up.
    01-09-12 02:51 PM
    You make it very obvious that you're new to this. I'm suggesting, for future reference, that you read and search for any questions that you may have before asking, because all that you're inquiring about has already been answered in detail, in many a thread. My reply is not to belittle or aggravate you in any way, because we ALL have questions that need answering. It's just that in the middle of a thread, where results are usually reported, you're asking about installation.

Now that that has been said, lets help you:

OS, short for Operating System, when it comes to a blackberry device, is first installed on a users computer. The reason this is so is to insure a clean read and write from the host computer to the device. It can be done over the air - known as OTA - but OTA's of a large file can prove to be a problem. For one, if the signal is lost...brick, lost back up of programs AND contacts.

Once the OS for your model device is installed and prepped for transference to your device, you will see a prompt asking if you would like to start DM. Select that you would and all you have to do is plug up your phone/device and follow the prompts.

Once the OS is installed on your phone, you can delete it from your host computer, since it is no longer necessary.

It in NO way controls any aspect of your phone, after installation.

Hope this helps. If there's anything that you don't understand, or searched for but couldn't find, send me a PM. I don't know it all, but I know enough to get you up and running.
    thanks budddddd means alot
    Mecca EL likes this.
    01-09-12 02:52 PM
    i have a day now with this build and somethings i've notice are:

1- I have an at&t phone that a brought to honduras and i have the same issue of the changing between EDGE, 3G and 4G --> i can't switch between them anymore.
    2- battery life for me has decreased like about 10-15% from the one i was getting with .540, but i think is because i can't change between EDGE - 4G and 4G signal is very crappy where i live.

but overall is all good. I have mobile hotspot working also.
    You won't see any pluses in the battery yet, on a fresh install. It takes at least 3 days. Also, if you're running any monitoring apps that are not made in-house - like Meterberry - expect your battery mileage to decrease.
    01-09-12 02:57 PM
372 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD