Granted ... but the instructions have been the same since we started upgrading from 5.0.
    I was simply looking to see if that was needed.
    That's hard to say, really - you don't know how good a leak is until you get some people saying "xyz works faster but abc is having issues" so you can either play it safe a wait few days for this thread to populate or you can just try it with only the hassle of re-installing a previous OS release to worry about.

I don't think 418 was a good leak, 424 was better but 448 did it for me. 461 was also stable and so far the 526 leak is good - got 85MB memory free at time of writing. Sometimes it depends upon what other apps you run and if you've got several running - I have Facebook, Twitter and BeWeather on mine with TuneInRadio, iHeartRadio, FaceChat, MSN, GoogleTalk and SocialFeeds for news sites running as 'n' when I need them.

As always with any "leak", your milage may vary - but if more than 1 person reports an issue here, it's usually a sign of trouble
    04-06-11 04:12 AM
    upgraded and will test it out

a day of usage and i lost 1MB of memory and the battery is nothing to brag about... will have to see after this settles.
    Last edited by johnrey; 04-06-11 at 10:07 PM.
    04-06-11 04:21 AM
    upgraded and will test it out
    Did this last night.
    Will spend the day monitoring things.

So far though, appears to be nice and stable.
    04-06-11 06:03 AM
    Well, it appears that battery life may be improved.

At one point I was sitting over 90MB free.
    04-06-11 05:27 PM
    Well, it appears that battery life may be improved.

At one point I was sitting over 90MB free.
    I am not sure on battery life, have the feeling it was slightly better for me on .499, but need to mention the difference shouldn't be significant. Need to go one more day to see ...

In my case was over 80MB, but with installed Chinese and cyrillic support ... which definitely "eats" lot of space.

I am staying with .526
    04-06-11 07:03 PM
    Just wondering what steps would be involved to upgrade to this version.
    Is it just running the application or does it involve backing up everything and following the instructions above?
    Just backup and follow the instructions to make sure that yu won't lose ur settings,contacts..etc
    I had been hoping for a more definative answer, but thank you.
    Does anyone know?
    Has anyone done multiple upgrades?
    I'd rather not be doing something I don't have to.
    ... the instructions have been the same since we started upgrading from 5.0.
    I was simply looking to see if that was needed.

Regardless, I am doing the upgrade now.
    It appears that the application is pretty intelligent, knowing what apps are installed, not allowing you to downgrade, doing a complete back up prior to upgrade ...
    The advice you were getting from Ganayni and RadioCharlie was on the money.

I can't speak for the others, but I have done multiple upgrades on each of the 4 BB's I've owned, in addition to numerous upgrades for others' BB's.

@SaabScott, you're right about the instructions not changing since OS5. Actually they haven't changed much since I started with 4.2, and probably even further back than that. The updates are typically evolutionary, not revolutionary. The structure of yours OS has been around for a looooong time.

You make the precautionary Backup up first with DM just in case something goes wrong with loading the OS, and you temporarily have a paperweight with a keypad on it. Hopefully never happens to you, but if it does you'll be patting yourself on the back for following these steps.
    Besides, making a Backup only takes a few minutes anyway!
    [/preaching]

Anyway, glad everyone is enjoying the update!
    Ganayni94 likes this.
    04-06-11 08:44 PM
    ok im finding its a much more stable build with improved battery, boot time and no memory leaks on the scale of .499 that i was running before. however on bbm, to most contacts it seems to take ages for them to be 'delivered' i bbm'd my mate who is in the same room as me and his bbm was working fine but it took 30 mins for him to recieve it.. is anyone else having this issue? also voice notes on bbm is not running properly as the 'stop' button does not respond..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 08:55 AM
    Links have been disabled. Anyone else have a mirror? Im a little late to this party.
    04-07-11 09:39 AM
    ok im finding its a much more stable build with improved battery, boot time and no memory leaks on the scale of .499 that i was running before. however on bbm, to most contacts it seems to take ages for them to be 'delivered' i bbm'd my mate who is in the same room as me and his bbm was working fine but it took 30 mins for him to recieve it.. is anyone else having this issue? also voice notes on bbm is not running properly as the 'stop' button does not respond..

I dont think that is a problem with this OS, Ive been having that problem all week, and in fact LOTS of people have been having that problem with BBM itself, do not know what is up with it.
    04-07-11 11:18 AM
    Have had r526 running for about 8hrs - no major problems, memory at 88.1MB.
    Just out of interest how are you getting 80mb+, i have about 20mb of apps installed (according to app world) plus a couple of google ones and my device wont go anywhere above 50mb, I also close all running apps usually ('cept from the standard 5) and i shrink my OS using BBoss. Any tips on how to increase my spare memory? or anything you can think of to shrink out which is particularly massive? im always hesitant around the fonts (which are safe to remove?)

cheers guys and gals
    04-07-11 12:03 PM
    Another Notice ,, Max. Boot Time : 2.5 Min and I think that's good !
    04-07-11 06:35 PM
    upgraded from 448 to 526 and this is what i found.

1. Bluetooth connection with my car radio much suck with this leak, unable to accept call from car button and during call and received call sometime it disconnect. Well the car radio Bluetooth work fine with my others phone, nokia n8, nokia 5800, Sony Ericsson P1i.
    2. Video player quality drop if compared with 448. with this leak when i watch movie the video quality most of the time degrade like when you are using satellite tv the signal not very strong.
    04-07-11 09:29 PM
    I dont think that is a problem with this OS, Ive been having that problem all week, and in fact LOTS of people have been having that problem with BBM itself, do not know what is up with it.
    i installed bbm 6 and this seems to have rectified the issues i was having with messages being delivered etc.

im just guessing but that may be because this new version of bbm is meant for upcoming devices bbm 6 may run through different servers to 5 and as less people are using it im getting better service.. however that is just speculation.
    04-08-11 05:55 PM
    First time upgrading with a linked version - a little nerve-racking, but it worked as discussed in the step-by-step instructions. Looks good so far. One big plus for me (might be minor for others) - the hide sent e-mails finally works! Definitely uses more device memory - unless I did something wrong on the upgrade.

Thanks for the tips and instructions!
    04-09-11 09:05 PM
    After few days of running .526, can say getting improved battery life compared to .499. The difference is not that big based on my usage pattern.
    Ganayni94 likes this.
    04-09-11 09:14 PM
    85megs application storage free, and between 104megs RAM free with nothing much open to 60megs aprox with fb2.0 and browsing crackberry. Battery life is good, lasting the day. Apart from when I use WLM a lot, as it drains battery so fast!

Overall a good leak, better than .448 and .461

Ganayni94 likes this.
    04-10-11 06:30 AM
    Yesterday evening did a shrink on .526. Last time, actually my first time ever, did a shrink on .499, but later the system wasn't very stable for me, so returner back to normal install.
    For now, over 12 hours, all with shrinked .526 looks to be OK. Not all of my software and tweaks are applied yet - will complete it today, and in case all is running well will stay with shrinked .526.
    Ganayni94 likes this.
    04-10-11 06:16 PM
    Whats the memory leak like on this?
    No comments about it properly so far yet?
    04-11-11 12:25 PM
    Whats the memory leak like on this?
    No comments about it properly so far yet?
    Memory free in this version is great no leaks like v499
    04-14-11 05:57 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD