And the Oscar goes too... Crackberry.com.

I did have problems with BBM on previous OS updates and thus I always remove/downgrade it and get 5.0 back from AppWorld. It is working nicely here. Try removing it and re-installing maybe? But remember to backup your contacts to one of your registered emails!

After a few more battery removing reset, it started to work again as these things often do with Blackberry devices
    11-18-09 05:31 PM
    It doesn't even see 5.0 upgrade in AppLoader. Removing Vendor.xlm doesn't help either. Pity

Thanks anyway!
    Using AppLoader you dont have to have BBS. Just make sure that you delete the vendor.xml and make sure that there is no other OS installed on your computer but the one you are trying to download.
    11-18-09 05:39 PM
    Things has change since this version and "Only active BlackBerry subscribers are entitled to install this upgrade"
    11-18-09 07:03 PM
    Had to uninstall it on my wife's 8520 and go back to 4.6.1.314... Texts stopped working altogether. Ehhhh... Think I'll just wait for the official release to update her phone. It's a bit of a pain to downgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 07:06 PM
    i tried to upgrade to 5.0.0.348 but it says "unable to connect to device, please make sure your device is connected securely" tried it couple times and it still does the same thing. Anyone else have this problem?
    11-18-09 07:18 PM
    Another update: found a couple minor quirks.
    -Sending attachments via BBM gives me a spell check option. MM, okay..
    -Threaded SMS is good. But I prefer the older OS versions where the "To:" and message body were on the same page. OS 5.0 now makes you select contacts before being able to write anything.

Overall, pretty happy with it. The picture viewer and threaded SMS are probably what I like the most. It generally seems faster overall. If I find anything else that works well or doesn't work, I'll post it.
    11-18-09 08:07 PM
    i think its a new phone i downloaded,media keys go to the media folder, its great am loving it, if this is a reflection of the official release then wow
    11-18-09 08:23 PM
    Could somebody with a 9700 do a comparison? smoothwis got me really curious about how close this is to an official 5.0 release.

CrackBerryV79? Could you?
    Last edited by diegonei; 11-18-09 at 08:54 PM.
    11-18-09 08:30 PM
    a the first i have done this and it is smooth and a total different phone, vib and ring its like a normal kind of phonish pc
    11-18-09 09:28 PM
    Could somebody with a 9700 do a comparison? smoothwis got me really curious about how close this is to an official 5.0 release.

CrackBerryV79? Could you?
    seems like this one is pretty near a final version. Minor quirks, mostly superficial. (as long as the SMS issue my wife's having is isolated) I'll do a phone-by-phone comparison when I get home.

11-18-09 09:57 PM
    So far all good!

Minor issue delivery reports for SMS doesn't seem to work or I'm missing something somewhere.
    Yep, it seems there's no feedback/difference between delivery report is set to on and off.
    11-18-09 10:18 PM
    seems like this one is pretty near a final version. Minor quirks, mostly superficial. (as long as the SMS issue my wife's having is isolated) I'll do a phone-by-phone comparison when I get home.

Thanks!

What exactly is this issue she's having?
    11-18-09 10:36 PM
    Thanks!

What exactly is this issue she's having?
    Texts aren't being sent or received... No change to any settings. I'm playing around with it now.

11-18-09 11:10 PM
    Here are the differences that I've found so far between 348 and 238: Files icon has changed, also the horrible bluetooth setup box is fixed. New theme interface that allows you to change from Zen to Today with just one click. WiFi works. OS seems faster and more responsive. Media Keys work if you stick to the default theme. Call Screen got fixed, looks like the one on 4.6. Also browser has changed a little, the search field got fixed. Haven't had the issue with sms yet, hope that I never do.
    11-19-09 02:12 AM
    Well, I noticed there's hidden gprs/apn charge using this beta even when apn option was unticked. The charged isn't big, but still there shouldn't be any hidden charge.

11-19-09 03:22 AM
    Texts aren't being sent or received... No change to any settings. I'm playing around with it now.

Sad to hear that. SMS is working as usual on mine thou. What could be causing it?
    11-19-09 08:59 AM

I had that once yesterday... I battery pulled and havent had it happen again. It was weird, though... when sending the txt, I got the little red "wait" clock next to the message.
    11-19-09 09:01 AM
    Darn! This leak doesn't include Asian character sets. I want to be able to read Thai email and sms. Will have to wait a while I guess.
    11-19-09 09:20 AM
    I had that once yesterday... I battery pulled and havent had it happen again. It was weird, though... when sending the txt, I got the little red "wait" clock next to the message.
    Yep... same thing. 3 battery pulls later, still nothing. No biggie - the old OS will work just fine for her, at least until an official 5.0 OS comes out. Threaded SMS is one of the major 'upgrades' - if that doesn't work, no real reason to keep it.

They need to hurry up though... I'm loving my Bold. The 8520 is too new a phone to not be running 5.0.

11-19-09 11:06 AM
    Darn! This leak doesn't include Asian character sets. I want to be able to read Thai email and sms. Will have to wait a while I guess.
    Yeah I was hoping for that too, I need to read Japanese. But other than that this version seems better than .238.
    Anybody noticed battery life improvement?
    11-19-09 11:57 AM
    Yeah I was hoping for that too, I need to read Japanese. But other than that this version seems better than .238.
    Anybody noticed battery life improvement?
    So far it seems the standard 1 dot a day I used to have.

Wonder if we can fit a 9700's battery in a 8520...
    11-19-09 12:46 PM
    Why would you need to fit a higher cap battery if you're only loosing one dot a day LOL. My battery wont hold charge more than 10 hrs with gazillion phone calls and texts from work and bbm group chat. Anyways you can't use 9700's battery it won't fit, just search for extended battery for 8520 on ebay if you need one.
    11-19-09 01:34 PM
    I am trying to achieve 161 hours of battery life which should be close to 7 days (charging every sunday).

I am not sure but I have a feeling this OS is eating battery a bit faster... .351 was leaked for the 9700 today, maybe when it comes out for us we'll see real battery improvement.
    11-19-09 01:48 PM
    Just installed it over 5.0.0.238, after 7 days of running 238 i only rebooted 3 times, will report my findings with this new leak!
    11-19-09 02:36 PM
    11-19-09 05:56 PM
119 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD