Thanks! I've been looking for this update everywhere
    11-18-09 12:14 AM
    Contact backup? No, didn't noticed it. How does it work? Tell more!

What I did notice is that Viigo is not working and will only close after a boot.
    aww.. sorry buddy! i think it's just a t-mobile thing.

it's under options, and it's called "mobile backup" .. but yeah, it doesn't work.

i DID notice one thing wrong with this version, but it might just be the theme i'm using.. if you set a wallpaper on top of your theme, and you restart your phone, the background goes completely white. weird.
    11-18-09 01:20 AM
    agree, call screen is much better now..
    11-18-09 01:51 AM
    Just completed the upgrade.

First things I noticed:
    Threaded SMS - has BBM look to it. I was first confused as to why my SMS msgs were all imported into BBM. I thought the device links all contacts on BBM and automatically uses BBM over SMS. But nay, there is threaded SMS.
    Pictures - Media app is noticeably faster. And you can browse through your pictures without going to the folder all the time. Press "n" and you'll scroll to your next picture. "p" for previous. It's about time.

*Edit: You can use trackpad to navigate pictures. No need for "n" and "p" like I previously stated.
    It's getting late. Others probably wrote this discovery on the thread already. But I will play with it more tomorrow at work and post any exciting changes in OS 5.0.
    Last edited by runlsd; 11-18-09 at 07:23 PM.
    11-18-09 02:42 AM
    Profiles can be set so it rings and vibrates at the same time. This is new to me.
    11-18-09 02:45 AM
    just installed, love it, even gave me a second theme, no errors yet everthing works great!!!
    11-18-09 06:05 AM
    Looks like I won't be able to give it a try on mine 8520

I don't have BBS at the moment.
    11-18-09 07:04 AM
    Has anyone else had issues with sending SMS? I just get the red clockface next to the message like its being delayed...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 07:35 AM
    Looks like I won't be able to give it a try on mine 8520

I don't have BBS at the moment.
    Did you try running AppLoader instead of DM? I gave up upgrading using it. I go strait there. Maybe it bypasses that, who knows...

I just noticed something I didn't like at all. The auto dim thing is working just like on the 8310. If there is light it brigtens up, if there isn't, it dims down. Even thou I set it up not to! Time to install BBLight on my 8520....
    Last edited by diegonei; 11-18-09 at 08:58 AM.
    11-18-09 07:52 AM
    It doesn't even see 5.0 upgrade in AppLoader. Removing Vendor.xlm doesn't help either. Pity

Thanks anyway!

Did you try running AppLoader instead of DM? I gave up upgrading using it. I go strait there. Maybe it bypasses that, who knows...
    11-18-09 08:52 AM
    Refresh and look for it again, it's a stubborn file!
    More than once I try to upgrade just to find the deleted Vendor.xml sitting happily in the folder.
    11-18-09 09:14 AM
    The MegaUpload link is having problems. Here is a RapidShare Mirror I created for the OS. Hope this helps those of you that want to get it.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting
    11-18-09 10:00 AM
    I tried to install the OS (from the pre-installed 4.6.1.259) this morning and it seems to have locked up.

It has gone through every task and is "Waiting for device initialization." It says it should take up to 30 min, however it has been over an hour now and the phone is stuck on the T-Mobile start up screen and the Desktop Manager progress bar has been stuck in the same place.

Am I screwed or is this salvageable?

Thanks,
    Mike
    11-18-09 11:19 AM
    So far so good. Except that all IM seem not able to use WiFi (the Wifi icon stayed grey/not solid white). Note that my BIS plan doesn't include browsing and social network.
    11-18-09 11:20 AM
    I tried to install the OS (from the pre-installed 4.6.1.259) this morning and it seems to have locked up.

It has gone through every task and is "Waiting for device initialization." It says it should take up to 30 min, however it has been over an hour now and the phone is stuck on the T-Mobile start up screen and the Desktop Manager progress bar has been stuck in the same place.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Let it try to find it's way for another 60 minutes, we never know...
    In the mean time, you can read this. No need to panic, IF it is really bricked, you can unbrick it.
    11-18-09 11:40 AM
    installed last night with no problems.. Has anyone else noticed the theme preview instead of a list you can preview your themes and switch your icons from the zen to a today theme without changing the theme. Also it works with the visual voicemail I activated. I noticed the resend option is back for sending messages as it was missing in .238, Mobile backup doesn't work but with a blackberry it really doesnt matter anyway. Media buttons dont work but I'll just assign the media to my unused left side convenience key. I like it I think I'll keep it.
    11-18-09 12:31 PM
    installed last night with no problems.. Has anyone else noticed the theme preview instead of a list you can preview your themes and switch your icons from the zen to a today theme without changing the theme. Also it works with the visual voicemail I activated. I noticed the resend option is back for sending messages as it was missing in .238, Mobile backup doesn't work but with a blackberry it really doesnt matter anyway. Media buttons dont work but I'll just assign the media to my unused left side convenience key. I like it I think I'll keep it.
    How do they behave, the media keys? Do nothing? Open the full menu of apps? send you to a folder with weird name?
    11-18-09 12:35 PM
    In the mean time, you can read this. No need to panic, IF it is really bricked, you can unbrick it.
    mine did the same thing when i tried to update it from 4.6 to 5.0 without doing a full wipe.

unplug it from your computer, do a battery pull, put the battery back in, and plug the cable back in to the phone. it should be fine.

please for the love of mary tell me you made a backup just in case things go south.
    11-18-09 12:51 PM

I waited until it hit the 2 hour mark and still nothing so I bit the bullet and did a battery pull to reboot. After it finished I checked the OS and sure enough it was 5.0.0.348. I reconnected to the computer and it picked up where it left off and did the restore. Everything appears to fine, but I'll post any weirdness I see.
    11-18-09 01:00 PM
    I waited until it hit the 2 hour mark and still nothing so I bit the bullet and did a battery pull to reboot. After it finished I checked the OS and sure enough it was 5.0.0.348. I reconnected to the computer and it picked up where it left off and did the restore. Everything appears to fine, but I'll post any weirdness I see.
    Really glad to hear it!
    11-18-09 01:07 PM
    Another update. Kind of disastrous, actually. BBM appears to be "selectively" frozen. Nothing happens when I click on my contacts or chats. A few resets haven't fixed the problem.
    11-18-09 02:25 PM
    Problem solved!

Look for an article

Installing Leaked OS When 'Only Active BlackBerry Subscribers' Error Message is Received

here on crackberry!

Refresh and look for it again, it's a stubborn file!
    More than once I try to upgrade just to find the deleted Vendor.xml sitting happily in the folder.
    11-18-09 02:26 PM
    Problem solved!

Look for an article

Installing Leaked OS When 'Only Active BlackBerry Subscribers' Error Message is Received

here on crackberry!
    And the Oscar goes too... Crackberry.com.

Another update. Kind of disastrous, actually. BBM appears to be "selectively" frozen. Nothing happens when I click on my contacts or chats. A few resets haven't fixed the problem.
    I did have problems with BBM on previous OS updates and thus I always remove/downgrade it and get 5.0 back from AppWorld. It is working nicely here. Try removing it and re-installing maybe? But remember to backup your contacts to one of your registered emails!
    11-18-09 02:56 PM

Thanks,
    Mike
    Just disconnect the berry from the PC and let it boot then reconnect and let the DTM finish the back up file restore
    11-18-09 03:04 PM
    So far all good!

Minor issue delivery reports for SMS doesn't seem to work or I'm missing something somewhere.
    11-18-09 03:42 PM
119 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD