Everytime I reboot my phone, I get less memory than before. So for example, the day before yesterday, I rebooted and it was at 94.5MB. Yesterday, I did a reboot, and it was at 93.8MB but after I let it sit, it slowly became 94.0MB. Did a reboot this morning to find it at 93.6MB.

So my question is, where does that flash memory go and how come I can't recover it? I've been clearing the cache, pushed content, and history. Occasionally, I delete some mail, SMS, and MMS and it'll find a megabit or two, but are there more places to recover?
    11-09-09 05:57 AM
    The memory gnomes take it at night when you're asleep. Lol. Seriously though. Some programs tend to "leak" memory. I would check your database sizes, schedule memory cleaner, also another way that might yield more back is to leave the batt out for 60 seconds so all the processes shut down. Just a few tips to try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-09 07:47 AM
    I don't know, maybe Germany? Pan to Germany: "Why am I so fast!!!" LOL
    11-09-09 08:46 AM
    The memory gnomes take it at night when you're asleep. Lol. Seriously though. Some programs tend to "leak" memory. I would check your database sizes, schedule memory cleaner, also another way that might yield more back is to leave the batt out for 60 seconds so all the processes shut down. Just a few tips to try.

Yeah I'm aware of the leaks. But its just strange that I can't recover some of it after a reboot.

How do I check the database sizes? The only thing I use currently is Quickpull. What program do you recommend for memory cleaning?

11-09-09 09:09 AM
    The factory OS has a built in memory cleaner. Although I do not remember if its enabled default or not. What OS are you running? Check database sizes under options-status-bb button-database.

11-09-09 09:27 AM
    I'm currently running 4.7.1.40. Where do I go to access the memory cleaner?

Thanks.

11-09-09 10:21 AM
    Security options you will find the memory cleaner there.

11-09-09 10:25 AM
    I found it thanks. Its currently set as "disabled". If I set it to "enabled" how does it work? Does it constantly clean memory? Or does it clean the memory everytime I reboot?

This is probably a dumb question but it will not delete everything, correct?

Sorry for the newb questions. Just wanted some clarification.

11-09-09 11:00 AM
    I found it thanks. Its currently set as "disabled". If I set it to "enabled" how does it work? Does it constantly clean memory? Or does it clean the memory everytime I reboot?

This is probably a dumb question but it will not delete everything, correct?

Sorry for the newb questions. Just wanted some clarification.

I believe it cleans memory when Idle and in the case, also when you reboot
    11-09-09 02:14 PM
    How do I check the database sizes?
    Options - Status - Menu Key - Database Sizes
    11-09-09 04:27 PM
    Upgrade the OS to 5.0.0.238!!!!!
    Thats what I'm running and I love it so much!!!
    11-09-09 07:42 PM
    Your memory will fluctuate minute-by-minute. If you reboot, the memory you're seeing is all there is; and that figure is not representative of a leak. Evidence of a leak is diminished figures as you are using the phone over a period of time.

Below is an excerpt from MeterBerry's FAQ page:
    Q: How do I know if I have a memory leak?

A: Java uses automatic garbage collection to manage memory. Applications create memory objects, and the Java garbage collector recovers memory objects that are no longer in use. The garbage collector runs only when it is convenient, usually when the handheld is idle or in an emergency when memory is needed and none is available. Because of this, it is typical for the memory objects created by an application to not be recovered for many minutes or even hours.

So, it is completely normal for the device's free application memory to fluctuate up and down.

It is the responsibility of applications to remove references to memory objects they no longer need. This signals to the garbage collector that the memory used by those objects can be recovered and used for something else. A "memory leak" in the context of a Blackberry device can occur when an application repeatedly creates memory objects and doesn't remove references to those objects when it no longer needs them.

If your free memory drops a certain amount after you restart your phone, this does not automatically mean you have a memory leak. This is completely normal as the Blackberry operating system caches things in application memory, just like your computer does with its RAM. However, if your free memory dwindles to a very low value and never increases unless you restart your phone, you probably do have a true memory leak.
    11-09-09 08:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD