I was so excited to download 7.1 for 9860, even though it was a leak version.

After 30 minutes waiting and hope, there's nothing but the boring red flash light on and off.
    I hope 7.1 will fix the bricked 9860 as it did for some 9850. But nothing at all!
    I don't have any chance for exchange as I shipped the phone from US.

So, what now, RIM?
    01-08-12 11:39 PM
    What's the issue? I have installed 7.1.0.190 3hrs before on my unlocked 9860 OS .585. Everything is fine.
    01-09-12 12:21 AM
    My 9860 bricked and there's a rumor that 7.1 can fix. But it could not
    01-09-12 12:23 AM
    i dont see how 7.1 specifically could fix a bricked phone more and 7.0 could. its no miracle OS, its just updated. any OS update or reload has the potential for fixing a bricked phone. but if your phone cant be recovered from normal methods, im inclined to say your phone has a hardware failure and NO OS will recover it.
    01-09-12 12:28 AM
    RIM did not give any official announcement about bricked 9860 but they gave one for 9900/9930. Besides, they said about software fix is being researched. So, leaked 7.1.0.190 still not be the answer.
    01-09-12 07:00 AM
    RIM did not give any official announcement about bricked 9860 but they gave one for 9900/9930. Besides, they said about software fix is being researched. So, leaked 7.1.0.190 still not be the answer.
    1.) there are probably more 99xx users than 9860/50 users, hence why the inflated amount of brickings

2.) the bricking is probably hardware and or software specific to the 99xx series

3.) any current, past or leaked OS "could" potentially recover a bricked phone. its more about whether DM and app loader feel like playing nicely with JVM, depending on how bricked the device is.

4.) if its a hardware problem or failure, NO new, old or leaked OS will unbrick.

5.) 7.1 isnt magical and cannot raise the dead any different than 7.0 did

6.) if there is a software issue bricking the phones, the new OS will more likely PREVENT it from happening, not necessarily repair it once its already bricked

7.) flashing red lights are usually indicators of hardware failure, there may be no way to recover
    better??
    01-09-12 08:11 AM
    Weird as it sounds, our IT people have begun to have some luck by using different PCs. The most luck with virgin installs of XP Pro and Win 7. Try swapping USB cords and using a different PC. Good luck.
    01-09-12 09:05 AM
    to me this 7.1 is nothing but just newest os, i think it's worst
    media player sound is too low,
    batt is the same..still drain
    application memory still worst....
    swiping in message mode is only working for bbm...

c'on RIM,are you sleeping or what ????
    Last edited by imsatsel; 01-09-12 at 09:46 AM.
    01-09-12 09:44 AM
    If flashing red light is an indicator of a hardware failure; then my phone is totally dead. And again RIM should pay us some respect by an official warning not to let the phone overcharged. I am not under any contract; I shipped the phone; so how can I have RIM warranty?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-12 10:11 AM
    7.) flashing red lights are usually indicators of hardware failure, there may be no way to recover
    better??
    With .296 ROM, I can see my BB show hourglass then white screen; JVM error 370 before reboot. This keep me hope that my phone is not totally dead.
    01-10-12 03:01 AM

6.) if there is a software issue bricking the phones, the new OS will more likely PREVENT it from happening, not necessarily repair it once its already bricked
    Correct!

If 7.1 is indeed the answer it needs to be on there before the problem occurs to prevent it, its isnt a fix its a prevention

Unfortunately netnomad you took the risk by getting one off ebay so i cant see a way forward for you!

I can only assume you've tried the usual? (bbsak or JL to see if you can force a device wipe, /nojvm option, booting it without battery in and seeing if you can get to the pin:unknown stage?)

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ked-blackberry

Specifically step 2
    Last edited by Stubbo; 01-10-12 at 07:11 AM.
    01-10-12 07:01 AM
    If the phone just dead so easy like this, what a shame RIM to not give end user any warning!
    01-10-12 09:38 AM
    Just to confirm, 7.1 does not prevent red light bricking as i've just bricked mine testing this!

However if you use the battery out, usb:unknown, battery in method you can snap it out of this and reinstall the os

See my link 2 posts up, this tells you everything you need, make sure you have 7.1 installed on pc prior to attempting

And before you say it doesnt work, i assure you mine is now sat charging again right in front of me!
    kerry6 likes this.
    01-11-12 10:51 AM
    just what I was about to suggest...
    01-11-12 02:34 PM
    I tried many ways; follow carefully the instruction but 7.1 still cannot bring the 9860 back. I still hope this is software problem; someone can resolve 99xx with new OS 7.1 and they had the same symptom like my 9860.
    I also called to the local RIM service agency; they said it cost 25$ to replace power module. I keep hoping for new OS before bring the phone for them to do an operation.
    01-12-12 07:09 AM
    Hi my phone shows that its loading but then sticks and never comes on.
    Can anyone advise if it the same issue and how do i go about getting it resolved pls.
    09-30-13 12:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD