Ditto Media player, pics and movies load fast as h3ll.. and it does seem so much louder now..
    agreed. the pics and music load instantly. great stuff!!!
    03-05-10 12:04 PM
    early thoughts on new OS for t-mobile phone

The lock screen just goes to black, which if i recall from my non-blackberry days is what used to happen on my old LG Dare. I dont much mind this, i guess it makes more sense on a touch screen phone but i can definitely get over this. just did a reboot on my phone and that seems to be much faster than before. i rebooted the phone because when it originally restarted with the new OS it doubled up all my calendar events, and that problem was solved with a reboot (alt+caps+del reboot). pardon me here, i'm doing all this on the fly. lets check out the browser ... this will all be 3g speeds mind you, i have yet to get my wifi router (i know, i know, blasphemy right!?)
    logging onto facebook via native browser seems to be a bit faster which is nice seeing as i've been using the native browser a lot more recently over opera mini5. logging into crackberry.com loaded the front page in under 10 seconds easily. gmail loaded up nicely as well.
    checking out BBM now ... and the messages send, awaiting confrimation from my friend that it was recieved and he is sometimes really slow on checking his phone so this is no surprise.
    my tweets are still coming through, facebook notifications are still their, about to send myself an email with an attachment (mp3) to see what thats all about here ...
    while we wait ... NM ... here it is already ...
    well, it showed up but was truncated due to size, oops! so opening the attachment through the native browser and ...
    downloading a 10mb song averaging 70kb/s ... not bad, cant actually say i've paid attention to what that was before the new OS.

well, i'm gonna play around for awhile guys and gals, i'll get back to ya about battery life and anything else i find interesting/new/good/bad about this OS.

ps. i will 2nd or 3rd all that talk about music being louder and everything in the media loading instantly ... VERY NICE!!!
    Last edited by fncygtrjammer; 03-05-10 at 12:07 PM. Reason: more stuff
    03-05-10 12:05 PM
    I'm about to download it now. Thanks!
    03-05-10 12:06 PM
    So far I'm liking this build. The lock thing is a bit confusing though since we don't have any official documentation on it. From what I can tell, pressing the lock button now puts the phone in lock mode and standby mode very quickly (with no UI showing what's its doing). Pressing it again will bring out of lock and standby immediately as well, which is nice. Holding the top right button no longer does anything now. It used to put the phone in standby, I guess having them both in one button that works much faster is a much better idea though.

Browser speeds on 3G seem improved as well.
    03-05-10 12:07 PM
    it locks it but its just different. Once you lock it and u press a button u get a message saying its locked. Instead of just seeing your homecreen and the lock icon on the bottom right.
    Really? Every OS I've loaded on my 9700 had the lock function working the way you explained it in Bold. I've never seen it done any other way
    03-05-10 12:08 PM
    The usual cautions apply, INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!
    I'm definitely a player on this. But I'm at work and my laptop is at home so it's gonna have to wait until tonight.

But I'm definitely a player as soon as I can get my 9700 and my computer hooked up.
    03-05-10 12:09 PM
    Could anyone give me an update whether nimbuzz or palringo works with this. I got stuck with 330 just because of this reason. I know beeejive is a solution but these apps work like charm at no cost.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 12:10 PM
    Standby button no longer works for me
    03-05-10 12:11 PM
    I am getting some very unusual behavior from this OS release.

For example, in BBM: I was able to select people to contact, and type a message. But was unable to send the message. Pressing enter or using the menu key and selecting "Send" had no effect. I am not sure if this has translated to SMS or Email yet. I am in the middle of a restart sequence.

Another thing I noticed is restarts seem to take significantly longer. It almost seems to take double the time from .442.

I also have noticed the locking behavior.

Has anyone else noticed the BBM issues, or is it just me?

EDIT: Another restart cycle appears to have corrected the BBM issue. Seems weird it did it in the first place. *shrugs*
    Last edited by USSZulu; 03-05-10 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Adding additional information.
    03-05-10 12:13 PM
    That is probably because the lock button has become the new standby button.
    Standby button no longer works for me
    03-05-10 12:15 PM
    Okay The mighty review by Neelzz

- Note:
    I updated from a hybrid 442 to this Leak. So i did not wipe my phone beforehand. just didn't feel like doing so
    okay okay i confess, i just tested another the hybrid yesterday and wiped my phone and reinstalled all my apps
    didn't feel like doing it again:P

Okay now that, thats said lets continue:

Blackberry 9700 (no-simlock)
    Netherlands
    Carrier: T-Mobile

-FirstBoot (stuck a 75% (for 2 minutes 3sec. Im getting used to this now. happens alot with the 9700 first boot after OS update atleast at my blackberry) stuck at 95% (for 30sec)
    total time: 2.33 min
    -Startup errors: 0

- Apps: working
    Telmap 5 (beta 1)
    Telmap 4.5
    ChunchSMS
    Filemanager Pro
    Berryweather (latest)
    QSMS
    Zonasnap
    Quicklaunch (latest)
    Pro Translator
    Opera mini (beta2)
    SmartBCalender
    Delayed Reaction
    Berryblab (works: but still gives me a nullpointer exception error, but it always does this on my 9700 with like 5 different OS's)
    Wifi-Proxy +ftp/http servers: Does not work but a well never worked on any OS on my 9700 just hoped it would work with this one
    Vision for youtube (latest)
    Ledreset
    batteryplus: (even though i don't know if the program itself actually does give me some extra battery time
    RadioOn
    Txtforward
    Mailminder (latest)
    Ringscheduler
    Call BLocker Pro (latest)
    BuzzMe premium (latest)
    Unsend Mail (latest)
    Process viewer
    Pininfo (latest)
    Batterywatch (latest)
    Berryanoying
    Googlesync (latest)
    Gmail (latest)
    Googlemaps (latest)
    google mobile app (latest)
    Speedtest
    Quickpull (latest)
    Unlockit
    ControlBBpanel (latest)
    smsscheduler

*social apps
    Hyves

- Addon Apps: Working
    Ebay (latest)
    Paypal (latest)
    Googletalk (latest)
    Msn messenger (latest)
    Blackberry messenger 5.0.0.57
    Native RIM Twitter client 1.0.0.20
    Facebook (latest)
    Paypal (latest)
    Blackberry appworld (latest)

- Games: Working
    EA Bejeweld
    Druglord wars
    Nintai

Wifi: Works
    Bluetooth: Not tested
    3G: works - switches alot to Grps though but i think its my radio (had it will all os;s latelty
    Bis: (works)

Memory: 97.2 left after all my installations

------------------
    Blackberry Appworld: Gets stuck on loading (this could be caused by a defective antenna on my bb9700)
    Gmail: Gets stucks on loading inbox / maps (this could be caused by a defective antenna on my bb9700)
    Google sync Gets on syncing: (this could be caused by a defective antenna on my bb9700)

Browser was able to test it: responded fast

------------------
    Overall OS speed, Fast but nothing special, compared to 442 is kinda the same.

Conclusion all the above apps work: only some that use the internet services
    get stuck on connecting but i think that is my blackberry.

so guess this will be released as a stable soon

---
    if i stumble on bugzz, ill edit post

Last edited by neelzz; 03-05-10 at 12:40 PM.
    03-05-10 12:17 PM
    I am getting some very unusual behavior from this OS release.

For example, in BBM: I was able to select people to contact, and type a message. But was unable to send the message. Pressing enter or using the menu key and selecting "Send" had no effect. I am not sure if this has translated to SMS or Email yet. I am in the middle of a restart sequence.

Another thing I noticed is restarts seem to take significantly longer. It almost seems to take double the time from .442.

I also have noticed the locking behavior.

Has anyone else noticed the BBM issues, or is it just me?

EDIT: Another restart cycle appears to have corrected the BBM issue. Seems weird it did it in the first place. *shrugs*
    I think it might be just you. I havent had an issue
    03-05-10 12:18 PM
    I agree, I use the lock button so i can carry it in my pocket. I wont be updating either.
    Sorry to point out the obvious but if you are carrying the phone in your pocket how does lock vs standby make a difference? The keyboard is locked in either case so you won't be dialing people.....
    03-05-10 12:24 PM
    Nice OS so far...i just set my left side convenience key to "password lock" for the lock issue.
    03-05-10 12:27 PM
    this will only lock the keyboard. The only way to lock the phone is to setup one of the convenience key to use Password Lock.
    Ok. But just to confirm, the lock key on top still locks the keyboard? That's what it sounds like, just want to clarify

03-05-10 12:33 PM
    Sorry to point out the obvious but if you are carrying the phone in your pocket how does lock vs standby make a difference? The keyboard is locked in either case so you won't be dialing people.....
    The lock buttons works though, u just don't see the lock icon at the bottom right. instead of this the screen turns black,

a well (just use autostandby app)
    03-05-10 12:35 PM
    I have noticed that when you lock the keyboard using the top button, putting it in the holster unlocks the phone.
    03-05-10 12:36 PM
    Just talk to ????my friend in the KW who works for RIM
    He Is running

??9700/5.0.0.545

Ill be holding off

03-05-10 12:37 PM
    I have noticed that when you lock the keyboard using the top button, putting it in the holster unlocks the phone.
    :P uuhms,,,,, but it not like u gonna use it when its in holster right soo uuhms?
    03-05-10 12:38 PM
    ur are right! ugh!!!!. I just had a wierd UMA experience I was talking and it just said call failed. But i was fully connected to UMA
    03-05-10 12:38 PM
    Ok. But just to confirm, the lock key on top still locks the keyboard? That's what it sounds like, just want to clarify

Let me try and make it really clear what happens with the lock and standby buttons:

standby button: doesn't do anything at all anymore
    lock button: pressing the lock button immediately makes the screen go blank. It does actually lock the phone because if you try pressing any buttons, the screen comes back on and tells you that it's locked and you have to press the lock button to unlock it.

What's gone is the screen with the lock icon and your owner information. What's also gone is the ability to use * + call button to unlock the phone. You have to use the Lock button at the top left.

What's really nice about this change is that presumably lock and standby are the same thing now (which they always should have been anyway) and that locking/unlocking is instantaneous now (if you have no password) which is a big productivity boost. Instead of spending 4-5 seconds locking my phone and putting it in standby before, the entire process takes less than 1 second now.
    03-05-10 12:39 PM
    :P uuhms,,,,, but it not like u gonna use it when its in holster right soo uuhms?
    Correct but I don't want it calling someone.
    03-05-10 12:40 PM
    Let me try and make it really clear what happens with the lock and standby buttons:

standby button: doesn't do anything at all anymore
    lock button: pressing the lock button immediately makes the screen go blank. It does actually lock the phone because if you try pressing any buttons, the screen comes back on and tells you that it's locked and you have to press the lock button to unlock it.

What's gone is the screen with the lock icon and your owner information. What's also gone is the ability to use * + call button to unlock the phone. You have to use the Lock button at the top left.

What's really nice about this change is that presumably lock and standby are the same thing now (which they always should have been anyway) and that locking/unlocking is instantaneous now (if you have no password) which is a big productivity boost. Instead of spending 4-5 seconds locking my phone and putting it in standby before, the entire process takes less than 1 second now.

uhms what exactly is the standby button
    Top left � lock
    Top right � sound (i can�t seem to remember if this used to be standby but it has a sound icon, on it...) hmmms never used it so can�t remember...

hmms maybe top right used to be standby but the the icon on my phone is wrong :P
    03-05-10 12:43 PM
    Top left � lock
    Top right � sound (i can�t seem to remember if this used to be standby but it has a sound icon, on it...) hmmms never used it so can�t remember...

hmms maybe top right used to be standby but the the icon on my phone is wrong :P
    sorry, you're right the top right is not a standby button, but if held in before it used to put the phone into standby mode.
    03-05-10 12:45 PM
    Top left � lock

the button on the top right is for MUTE when you are on a call...
    03-05-10 12:45 PM
753 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD