I get my email via a pop server. When I create my account on my BB, how does BIS get the email before it gets deleted from the pop? My computer is set up to delete messages after outlook gets them from the pop server.

I have been using a treo, and since my computer is set up to delete the message once it downloads it, the way I would use my treo is to shut down outlook before leaving if I wanted to use email on the treo.

I have been told that I don't have do that with the BB? That since my email is registered with BIS, it always get the messages. Can this be true? If my computer checks for a message prior to BIS somehow getting it, it will be deleted and then BIS doesn't know about it. If BIS checks email before outlook, then I will get it on my BB, and my computer. My outlook checks for email every 5 minutes.

Thanks.
    08-11-08 07:26 PM
    One solution is simply to have your BIS account not immediately delete messages when it downloads them. I have a POP3 email account running on a computer with Outlook. I have an inbox for that account on my BES BlackBerry. I have the PC Outlook set to leave messages on the ISP server for 5 days after delivering them. That way there's never a problem getting them, on the BlackBerry or on the two PC's that also have inboxes for that account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 07:37 PM
    Jeff, thanks for the tip. However, I am curious, do I need to leave them up for 5 days? How does BIS work? When does it check for email on the pop server? I did not find a setting for checking the time. I was under the impression that BB is different than say my treo, where I have to either manually download, or have it set to automatically check for email.
    08-11-08 08:47 PM
    Since I use BIS as part of BES, my experience may not match a BIS-only user's. It's certainly not necessary to leave mail on the server 5 days. I use such a long time period to make sure the mail stays on the server long enough for non-bb users to log on and see it. It's just an operational issue for my specific application. I don't know how frequently BIS checks the server for email. I do know for a fact that you do not have to manually check for email. Push email is one of Rim's original selling points for business, along with security.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-08 09:02 PM
    Did anyone else's eyes just glaze over reading this.

I think I have BIS set up to leave messages on the server...seems to me Ihad that option when setting it up online.
    08-11-08 09:05 PM
    I don't recall having the option to leave email on the server when I initially setup my BIS account. I do however have my POP accounts set to leave email on the server for 1 day, by way of Outlook options.
    08-11-08 09:13 PM
    You're right, I just double checked...I must have set it up to leave on the server through Outlook.
    08-11-08 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD