hi guys wasnt sure where to put this but saying as im doing it for the purpose of upgrading to 7.1 i thought its best here

basically just wondering is jl_cmder reset to factory option is the exact same as the devices security wipe feature?

but if im wanting to use it to wipe the device ready for the os upgrade would the "wipe" option delete everything off the device anyway including all data and pictures and apps?

thanks
    08-25-12 08:46 AM
    I'm not sure if the JL_Cmder reset to factory option performs exactly the same function as a device security wipe. I can tell you that you don't need to do either before upgrading your OS. An OS install does its own wipe before loading. Anything additional you do is superfluous.
    08-26-12 07:39 PM
    I'm not sure if the JL_Cmder reset to factory option performs exactly the same function as a device security wipe. I can tell you that you don't need to do either before upgrading your OS. An OS install does its own wipe before loading. Anything additional you do is superfluous.
    Oh wow i didnt know that it performed a wipe on update! Does that delete all the personal data off the device, databases, pics ect..to for me to then restore at a later date?
    08-26-12 08:54 PM
    It is always a good idea to make a manual backup of your personal data before performing an OS upgrade, but I have never had to restore manually from a backup after an OS upgrade. If all goes normally, the OS upgrade process does an automatic backup and restore for you. Some paid apps will lose their registered status after they are reinstalled and you will need to reenter the registration code after the OS upgrade, so it's a good idea to keep those codes in a separate file, a list on your PC, for example.
    08-26-12 09:12 PM
    thanks ive made a backup using desktop manager and all my apps were free so the paid apps isnt a problem so if i go ahead and update my device now it should perform a full wipe of data to a fresh OS and then ill restore my backups is this correct?

again thanks for the help
    08-26-12 09:16 PM
    The backup you made only includes your personal data. It doesn't include apps. If the OS upgrade doesn't properly reinstall something, you'll need to reinstall it. That won't be a problem if you still have the download.

Here's a link to a thread that explains how to back up 3rd party apps.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...updated-53201/

Otherwise you should be fine.
    ajbolton likes this.
    08-26-12 09:21 PM
    thankyou for all your help
    08-26-12 09:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD