And how do I get it back?

I had an error during install and had to start over part way through. OS5 is on there fine but all the saved data is gone. So where does it go on the computer and how do I get it back on the phone?
    Last edited by sotypical; 01-15-10 at 12:10 AM. Reason: put back orginal post
    01-14-10 11:55 PM
    There is a loader file created when you update. Hopefully you made your own backup anyway prior to upgrading. Both are in DM
    01-14-10 11:57 PM
    i know when you do a backup through DM, you manually create a backup file that you save to your computer. as for creating a backup through the install process, i honestly dont know. it may save it to a temporary folder in the apploader or RIM program file tree. this is the #1 reason i always do a manual backup first, before the apploader does it for me. i honestly do not know where it "saves" this file to if it even does at all. if you cant find it, i really hope you have a backup saved somewhere.
    01-14-10 11:59 PM
    There is a loader file created when you update. Hopefully you made your own backup anyway prior to upgrading. Both are in DM
    I did not, but I found the one by opening desktop manager. The one that the program created that installed the OS. The loader thing. I am sorry for being so dumb, I have never done this before and just followed the directions in the above post.

So fingers crossed this works!
    01-14-10 11:59 PM
    two things.....

1.) dont edit/delete your original post like this, as people with the same problem now cannot search or view your original issue.

2.) what directions did you exactly "follow from the above post"? if you created a manual backup of the phone after the 5.0 OS install, you really didnt do anything if it had none of your data restored after the install. you are sure it loaded the one that the apploader made while updating?
    01-15-10 12:03 AM
    1. Sorry I was trying to save people the trouble from helping me when I figured it out. I realize now that it was really not a good idea to do that. Normally it takes people a lot longer then 2 mintues to reply to my threads on here - so I thought I caught it in time.

2. I followed the directions in the post about upating your OS - I never even thought to do my own backup because I have never done anything like this before.

I opened desktop manager, clicked on backup and there was the backup that the loader.exe created and I loaded it back onto the phone with no problems.
    01-15-10 12:07 AM
    Restored your original thread title also.
    01-15-10 12:14 AM
    Restored your original thread title also.
    Yes. I was able to hit back enough times and found what I orginally posted and copy and pasted it back
    01-15-10 12:16 AM
    good call on the thread restoring guys!!

also, for future reference, i dont do anything OS related (editing stuff in BBSAK or full OS reloads) without doing my own backup first. i cant trust DM or apploader to do it for me. just a way to CYA incase something happens mid-install, and the loading or the backup file fails to restore.
    01-15-10 12:26 AM
    If you don't use DM or apploader... how do you back up? So I know for future reference!
    01-15-10 12:27 AM
    If you don't use DM or apploader... how do you back up? So I know for future reference!
    no no, u do use DM to backup.

just connect to the phone, click on backup/restore then backup.

what im saying is that part of the OS install process is for DM or apploader to backup for you as part of the install process. however, even though it may seem like doing it twice unnecessarily, i will perform a manual backup first prior to engaging the install process. i dont want to trust that the install process will do it right for me, so i do it as a standalone precautionary step first. then after i verify the backup file created successfully, i begin the OS update. it will say its backing up the old phone but i know if it screws something up, i have another backup already made.
    01-15-10 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD