Will be able to install apps on our media card on the upcoming OS?

i know as of right now we are not able to do that, which is worth less to make tons of free memory if we cant use it!!!!

Storm 2 users have 16bgs of memory device and SD card combine, but we can only use about 100mb for apps.

We only have 256mb of application memory. why? the OS takes half of that, with the memory leaks that we have an a couple of appls our phones start acting ******** and slow.

why cant we have the application memory just for the OS and the rest of media card memory for apps and out stuff.

what is the point of having all this memory available if the phone is going to slow down because our memory is going low...

is it always going to be like this? the new bb's are going to be coming out with 512mb of application memory and i still think we are going to have the same issue.
    04-28-10 01:15 AM
    I don't know why this is. My old Treo (actually, my old-*** Palm from 2002) was able to move apps to an SD card effortlessly; that a new device like... well, any of RIM's devices post-2005 cannot is almost inexcusable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-10 11:46 PM
    Not to sound rude, but why stress or worry about something that none of us have a clue about now anyway, as of today.
    05-05-10 11:31 AM
    Will be able to install apps on our media card on the upcoming OS?

i know as of right now we are not able to do that, which is worth less to make tons of free memory if we cant use it!!!!

Storm 2 users have 16bgs of memory device and SD card combine, but we can only use about 100mb for apps.

We only have 256mb of application memory. why? the OS takes half of that, with the memory leaks that we have an a couple of appls our phones start acting ******** and slow.

why cant we have the application memory just for the OS and the rest of media card memory for apps and out stuff.

what is the point of having all this memory available if the phone is going to slow down because our memory is going low...

is it always going to be like this? the new bb's are going to be coming out with 512mb of application memory and i still think we are going to have the same issue.
    Ok, several things. 1) The Storm2 comes with a 16gb card, and 2gb onboard memory. 18gb total.

2) Because that's what the flash memory is at. You're crazy if you think 'a few apps' is going to slow down an S2 on top of the OS. Ask Howarmat, he had (At one point) somewhere around 100-130 apps installed on his S2 with no issues, and something like 30-40mb still free.

3) BB apps are no bigger than a few mbs. The biggest I've seen is PBA Bowling 2, at 6.4mbs, it's somewhere around 4.3% of your total app memory. 100mb (actually 100+) after an OS install (I've got 36 applications on my phone and 107.6mb free) you've got more than enough room for tons of applications. BB's only get slow and laggy when you have under 10mb free.

And finally, 4) This has been discussed to death. SD cards are not secure at all. Anything can be loaded into them or out of them from anywhere. RIM is all about security, and this is what's stopping them from doing that.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 05-05-10 at 12:35 PM.
    05-05-10 12:29 PM
    As GlitchZero stated, it ain't gonna happen. You won't be able to install apps on the microSD card in BlackBerry 6 either. But... and this is a big but... the devices which will run BlackBerry 6 will be the ones with more memory. 256MB will likely be the minimum required. This will still leave you plenty of room for loading apps. And all of the new devices will soon start coming out with a minimum of 512MB, just for the OS and apps. That will be more than enough, and will be enough that app developers can start making their apps look nicer/fancier/smoother.

But GlitchZero is right as to why you won't see apps on the microSD card. Don't forget, BlackBerry is still the choice for enterprise and they still need to ensure that enterprise security is at the forefront of why companies choose BlackBerry devices over others.
    05-05-10 10:33 PM
    maybe they can do that you can choose where to install your apps...
    as individual user you may want to choose sd card...and for bussines you may install in pnone memory...
    and for security they could make a password to acces sd card....
    just my opinion....
    05-07-10 04:36 AM
    If I'm not wrong I know that you can encrypt all data on SD and you can't open them. So guess you can do this with app too...
    05-07-10 04:41 AM
    The 'encryption' on a SD card is so low-level your average 14 year old with some youtube videos could easily find a way past it.

And no, it won't be freedom of choice, because then you'd have that 1 (and in reality, it would be along the lines of 100,000) guy that works high up in the military or something, and HAD to have Urban Spoon on his phone, so he loaded it into his SD card, and it was a virus, and ends up taking down half the US naval defense grid.

Or something. Then RIM gets its *ss crucified to the wall for giving people the choice when clearly they'd use it. So instead, they will continue to do what they do (ie. keep sh*t secure) and keep giving us more and more flash memory to keep lots of apps on our phone.

I'm sorry, but if you need more than 130 apps on your phone, you need to get a life. There is no way someone can consistently use that many applications on a day to day basis.
    Last edited by GlitchZero; 05-07-10 at 12:12 PM.
    05-07-10 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD