SO i recently upgraded from the pearl to the 8900. My brother has a Bold and sent me a link to download bbm 5.0 so I did - didn't backup my contacts first (i know, i know). I rebooted, removed the batt, only to find the bbm icon missing. Can't receive bbms at all. However, bbm 5.0 does show up on my applications list.

Please tell me my contacts can be salvaged!! I have ev1's pin # saved but I don't want to re-add them... I don't even want 5.0 anymore I just want my old BBM back! Is this possible? Please say so.

And if not, please tell me what to do step-by-step. I'm very very novice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 08:11 AM
    Sounds like your os isn't high enough on the food chain. Upgrade your os and try again.

07-29-09 08:16 AM
    Yes you can restore the old BBM but you will have to manually add all your contacts back (unless you can restore from an old backup).

You need to have the EXACT OS that you are running on your phone and Blackberry Desktop Manager installed to your computer.

Hook up your phone to your computer

Click on application loader in the Blackberry Desktop Manager

Add/Remove Applications

Click the box next to blackberry messenger.

Click on next and the window should say adding blackberry messenger.

Then click finish. It should run the process and restart the phone.
    07-29-09 08:20 AM
    Sounds like your os isn't high enough on the food chain. Upgrade your os and try again.

Newbies shouldn't upgrade their OS......
    07-29-09 08:21 AM
    Thank you, I've already come across this solution and im NOT attempting to do this, no way.

So should i reload bbm from my bberry desktop manager??

07-29-09 08:34 AM
    yes that is the best way to roll back... maybe there is an OTA, but I don't know where one is.
    07-29-09 08:35 AM
    let us know if you have any trouble with it
    07-29-09 08:36 AM
    yes that is the best way to roll back... maybe there is an OTA, but I don't know where one is.
    what's an OTA? dont laugh.

07-29-09 08:39 AM
    Over The Air ..... you can DL it from your phone..... that is the link you brother sent you correct?

No laughing... I chuckled a little... but didn't laugh.... jk!!
    07-29-09 08:47 AM
    Over The Air ..... you can DL it from your phone..... that is the link you brother sent you correct?

No laughing... I chuckled a little... but didn't laugh.... jk!!
    Ha YES he sent me an OTA link to download 5.0 and like i said, i didnt even google it before downloading it. i didnt know it hadnt even been officially realized. def didnt heed the warnings to back everything up first, so i hope i can salvage my contact list.

07-29-09 08:57 AM
    Got to learn some time. Back up the phone and go for it. Lol, your not learning unless you have that moment in time when you go "Oh sh*t, what did I do!". Lol

07-29-09 10:07 AM
    Can't find a working link for Curve 8330 with OS 4.5.0.77.

Anybody help? If I need to upgrade the OS, I may wait till the official version is released. Anyone know when that may be?
    07-29-09 10:16 AM
    OMG!! Thank you Clint. You took the words right out of my mouth.
    07-29-09 10:32 AM
    Can't find a working link for Curve 8330 with OS 4.5.0.77.

Anybody help? If I need to upgrade the OS, I may wait till the official version is released. Anyone know when that may be?
    That's because RIM made all of the 3rd party sources for this information pull their files. You will not find it any where. I tried to find them for 5.0. or 5.1 OSs and couldn't find them.

But if you know someone who has the files i'm sure they could email them to you, but you have to hack and slash your OS to make it work, and that (as clint said) is not a job for n3wbs.... your phone will pwn you if you do.
    07-29-09 11:22 AM
    Oh come on, everyone is a newbie at one point in time!

The first OS upgrade I did was not a TOTAL disaster, but one just the same. I religiously backed up my Curve 8310. Every day. Then I wiped the phone, installed the new OS (4.5), restored using the backup file, and WHOOSH, all my 3rd party apps vanished!

I know better now! Especially since I'm getting ready to take the 5.0 (leaked) plunge!
    07-29-09 12:44 PM
    I agree everyone is a newbie at one time.... but someone who doesn't even know ** to put back BBM on the phone shouldn't try it (no offense meant for the OP). There is a difference between someone who can do an upgrade as a newbie and someone who can't... plan and simple.

I only suggest people take some time to read, get used to the device and the terminology before they attempt something like an OS upgrade....it only makes it easier for us to help them if they have issues if they are more versed in the functions of the BB.

Some people out there should NEVER try and upgrade the OS....
    07-29-09 12:53 PM
    Yes you can restore the old BBM but you will have to manually add all your contacts back (unless you can restore from an old backup).

You need to have the EXACT OS that you are running on your phone and Blackberry Desktop Manager installed to your computer.

Add/Remove Applications

Clint, Thanks for posting this. I upgraded to 5.0bbm and it worked fine (im running 4.5.81 though) well, this NEWBIE sent the link to his girlfriend and she is running 4.5.77 on an 8330. needless to say, whoosh went her bbm. so, i have to walk her thru re-installing 4.5 on her pc when she gets home from work. and i had no clue how to do so. thank you very much. lets hope this works.
    07-29-09 01:25 PM

Add/Remove Applications

PROBLEM. My apps list in Desktop Manager shows Google Maps and Blackberry Messenger 5.0. So when I select Messenger my only option is to delete it. Should I do this? How would I then add the orig BBM software? I've already backed up my phone, I COULD attempt the OS upgrade...
    07-29-09 04:15 PM
    pdagurl, I had the sam issue on my bold. I fixed it by redoing everything. Meaning I downloaded the link once more (OTA) and let it download and then install and then it worked but I lost my contacts and had to restore them from my desktop backup.
    07-29-09 10:40 PM
    Try this link for an OTA for 4.7 if you need to downgrade:

http://www.bbhybrids.net/forum/downl...id=42&act=down
    10-07-09 06:18 PM
    I upgraded to BBM 5 from a link to OTA download. My icon disappeared, but the app showed in the list in options. I deleted the app and tried again, and this time get the message that my device is not compatible. Checked the OS and I don't have the latest OS.

I really just want the old BBM back at this point. The problem is, I use a MacBook Pro, so don't have Desktop Manager.

Does anyone know how I can get the old BBM back?
    10-18-09 09:52 AM
    I was having this issue and it was driving me crazy because I could still chat in BBM and it all worked fine, but it wasn't showing up in the menu. This happened randomly for, what I saw, no reason. I could find BBM when I searched my device but I couldn't find it in menus. Eventually I handed it over to my IT boyfriend, and he fixed it instantly. The app was hidden. I didn't hide it, why the heck would I? It just did it on its own. Anyway , show all apps, then click "Show All," where it might also say "Hide" and it should show up. I have a Bold 9780 running OS 6.
    04-01-11 07:49 PM
    Also9 @ClintRo, being a "Newbie" may not be relative to the problem. It's not that she can't install BBM, clearly she said it's in the app list. The issue is that she doesn't know how to make it reappear because it has disappeared for whatever reason. Not to be confrontational, I just don't like you jumping to conclusions about "newbies." I am clearly a noob because I didn't think to unhide my icons, but I've also performed 2 OS reloads today, completely on my own, in hopes of fixing my problem. OS reloads are ridiculously easy to perform, so don't tell anyone they can't do it.
    04-01-11 07:54 PM
    Hey Clint you sound like the BB genius bar none, perhaps you can help us with our BB issue, we can't find the USB cable, any idea what we've done with it It's my other half's mobile and she's got the same problem, she can't find the BBM icon, I sort of guessed she'd dl'ed the wrong version when I looked at the apps and all the system had 4. something and the BBM she dl'ed was 5. something, I take it from what you said that you can't downgrade it to an earlier version.
    10-22-11 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD