01-05-10 10:56 PM
28 12
tools
    I do think it's the OS. I lost 6MB just playing music today. The Facebook app is a culprit too, I think. And I use Weatherbug, which might account for some of the memory loss. I used Lifeinpocket for navigation over Christmas and lost a huge amount of memory in one trip across town, but used it again a week later and lost none. Unpredictable... Apparently memory management is difficult in Java, even though it's not supposed to be.

I don't worry about it too much because my phone still works well down to about 4 or 5 MB and it takes me a few weeks to get down that low. I often need to reboot my phone for application installs or deletes anyway, so I don't sweat it too much. Plus rebooting happens fairly quickly with 5.0 - so it's not as big a deal just to do a reset.

I've always had some memory leakage. It was incredibly bad a year ago with available memory getting down to zero and the phone starting to wipe out contacts and messages. I haven't dealt with anything nearly that bad in at least 9 months.

I'd schedule reboots with Meterberry, but I have my phone password protected and the reset won't run when the phone is locked. So I sometimes just tell Meterberry to reset the phone while I take a shower in the morning or while I'm cooking my oatmeal.
    01-05-10 09:05 PM
    It's 5.0.0.328 guys... each time it boots, it starts with less free memory. Don't know why, but it happens.
    01-05-10 09:20 PM
    One thing I do which may or may not help you is to delete the RMS Database and Themes Database in Desktop Manager. You won't lose any files when you delete the RMS database but you might have to reregister programs that have a registration key. You won't delete any themes when you delete the Themes database but you will have to reset your icons. If you install and delete a bunch of themes it leaves behind a bunch of files. It helps. The first time I did this I gained back almost 5mgs of memory.
    01-05-10 10:56 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD