should I just delete and reload the OS or do a complete wipe?
    01-02-10 09:20 PM
    you should pull the battery.....
    01-02-10 09:21 PM
    What exactly do you mean by delete and reload the OS? That would be the same as a wipe. As for wiping, the loader should wipe the phone when you are installing the OS (hence you see the 507 error on your phone) so wiping and then installing the OS is just overkill. But if you want to be safe (as I would), I would wipe the OS and then do a fresh install. Then depending on what is causing the leak, you can add each app one by one or whatever.

(Hah I went into this huge speal and didn't even think of a battery pull lmao)
    01-02-10 09:23 PM
    I've done the battery pulls and I'm only getting at most about 19 mb on bootup. I want to see if I can get back to the 40 or 50 that I had originally. Then, with Meterberry, I want to see which app(s) is the culprit for the leaks.

So, a wipe is recommended, huh?
    01-02-10 09:26 PM
    What OS are you running ? with .419 memory leak no longer seems to be an issue... at least for me
    01-02-10 09:37 PM
    have you installed anything since you started with 40-50 MBs? Seems rediculous to boot to 40-50 and then be booting with 20-30 MBs less...that is not a memory leak either
    01-02-10 09:42 PM
    have you installed anything since you started with 40-50 MBs? Seems rediculous to boot to 40-50 and then be booting with 20-30 MBs less...that is not a memory leak either
    I've installed Viigo, Facebook, and AP News plus a couple of games. I deleted APP World and that has seemed to have stopped the leak, but I want to restore as much as I had before. It just didn't happen....this has been going on for several months now. First it dropped in the 40's, then the 30's, then the 20's and now less than 20. It's time to do something.
    Last edited by RHS; 01-02-10 at 09:49 PM.
    01-02-10 09:47 PM
    you installed stuff, that uses memory and you wont "get it back" Do you understand the concept of what application memory is?
    01-02-10 10:15 PM
    you installed stuff, that uses memory and you wont "get it back" Do you understand the concept of what application memory is?
    Yes, I understand. Those apps that I listed did not consume all of that memory that I lost. It has lost it over time (without installing any apps).
    01-03-10 07:48 AM
    Check your messages and calendar items. Also, if you go to Options->Status->blackberry button->database size you should be able to see if there are any databases that are overly large.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

01-03-10 08:12 AM
    Are you by any chance running 5.0.0.328? If so, that OS has been reported as losing a bit of available free memory after every reboot or battery pull. No one knew why, but I noticed it myself as well. It's not much, just a few kb, but over time with a lot of reboots, that can add up. .419 does not exhibit this sort of behavior, might want to try that release.
    01-03-10 11:44 AM
    Yes, I understand. Those apps that I listed did not consume all of that memory that I lost. It has lost it over time (without installing any apps).
    Viigo has been known to take like 5-8 Mbs of memory somehow...delete that and see what you boot with
    01-03-10 12:11 PM
    Are you by any chance running 5.0.0.328? If so, that OS has been reported as losing a bit of available free memory after every reboot or battery pull. No one knew why, but I noticed it myself as well. It's not much, just a few kb, but over time with a lot of reboots, that can add up. .419 does not exhibit this sort of behavior, might want to try that release.
    Yes, I have 0.328. If I upgrade to 0.419, will I reclaim all the lost memory?
    01-03-10 01:21 PM
    Viigo has been known to take like 5-8 Mbs of memory somehow...delete that and see what you boot with
    Well, I deleted Viigo, but only gained about 1.5 mb.

Thanks for the continued help!
    01-03-10 01:21 PM
    I've installed Viigo, Facebook, and AP News plus a couple of games. I deleted APP World and that has seemed to have stopped the leak, but I want to restore as much as I had before. It just didn't happen....this has been going on for several months now. First it dropped in the 40's, then the 30's, then the 20's and now less than 20. It's time to do something.
    Have you installed/ deleted a lot of apps/ themes? If so you might want to try just a 3rd party wipe...seems like just deleting things via app list doesn't always do a complete job. I used to have a problem that sounds similar to yours, and after wiping and reinstalling apps I wanted, my phone is running fine...(storm 1 running .328)

01-03-10 01:51 PM
    Have you installed/ deleted a lot of apps/ themes? If so you might want to try just a 3rd party wipe...seems like just deleting things via app list doesn't always do a complete job. I used to have a problem that sounds similar to yours, and after wiping and reinstalling apps I wanted, my phone is running fine...(storm 1 running .328)

What program did you use to wipe?
    01-03-10 07:11 PM
    What program did you use to wipe?
    Stock in options>security options>security wipe...just removed "user installed apps"...did this a couple of weeks ago, phone still running great (no batt pulls, quick pulls necessary)

01-03-10 09:33 PM
    I have Viigo, but I don't leave it running in the background so I guess I haven't experienced any of those problems yet, for the most part at least.
    01-04-10 12:06 AM
    Check your messages and calendar items. Also, if you go to Options->Status->blackberry button->database size you should be able to see if there are any databases that are overly large.
    I never knew this, thanks for this tip! However, the sizes are written confusingly -- why are they a fraction and a decimal? How are they supposed to be read?
    01-05-10 12:24 AM
    I think that's Number/Size ie

Messages 237/500.6k is 237 meassages @ 500.6k

Also I would wipe using BBSAK and install only bare OS, maybe shrink it, then add things one at a time to see where the memory goes. I know the installation process should wipe the original automatically but in reality Ihave found more memory after a wipe.
    01-05-10 05:24 AM
    Ah, thanks for the answer, that makes sense!
    01-05-10 12:31 PM
    I deleted 5MB worth of apps, and gained only 2MB on startup. Lame.

I can't really look at much more in terms of apps because I boot at 19 and am in the single digits by days end. I really don't have that much either.
    01-05-10 01:55 PM
    sounds like you need to wipe, bro

remember, front to back avoids dingleberries
    01-05-10 05:21 PM
    Doesn't facebook cause memory leaks?? I think it does. That might one of the culprits.
    01-05-10 06:38 PM
    I am having the same problem. I don't even know if I would call it a memory leak issue because memory leak is fixed with a battery pull. The problem seems to have started with .328 and has continued to .419. The problem is that with all my apps installed, I went from booting with around 28mb to around 20mb over the space of a few weeks. I cannot see my third party apps causing this because they are refreshed after every boot. I think it is a problem with memory management within the os itself. I have already done another install but here I am a few weeks later with the same problem.

Ideas anyone.....
    01-05-10 06:58 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD