Hi, I recently got my BlackBerry and it is a mayor improvement over the Nokia dumb phone I used to have. It has it's annoyances, though, like having to restart to remove an app (even Windows sorted that one out), not allowing to download attachments over 2.9MB, which I find stupid because nowadays even a picture is 2.9MB and, of course the thing gets loaded with useless menu items.

For example, on my contacts app I have 24 items. It is pointless to switch the input language when I am not in a text field, as well as seeing my current location inside the Contacts app. I have an app called Maps for a reason. I don't need that menu item. Then there's these apps that add themselves to the menu, thinking you are going to use them all the damn time.

It has "Call SomeGuy", "SMS SomeGuy", "Email SomeGuy"... If I want to do any of that I will just go to their email address and click on the email.

How can I get rid of the useless stuff some apps added to make the factory-bloated menu look less bloated?

Thanks, guys
    08-30-11 07:52 PM
    1. If you have a contact whose name has letters that aren't in the English language then it sure would be nice then.

2. Sure is nice to go straight to the Maps app from your Contacts if you so desire. A lot better than exiting Contacts and then finding Maps and going there. Also, seeing your location in relation to the contact you're viewing could be very helpful.

3. No need to go into the contact at all if their entry is highlighted and all you want to do is send them an email or text. Also, I know you can click on their email address to compose and email to them, but what happens when you want to send them a text? You click on their number and the phone dials it, so that menu item is great to have.

You can delete all your other languages if you don't use them, you'd gain some app memory too. Most apps that add something to the menu usually have options to disable that feature if you so desire, so that shouldn't be an issue unless you let it.

Other than that, you can't customize what's shown in the menu...
    08-30-11 08:23 PM
    Thanks, but now I am a frustrated user

I will have to play a bit more.
    I do have tried to find the options to disable this "Tune In To miRoamer" thing. It's just annoying. If I want to tune in I will open the app. Jeez.

Anyway, nice phone.
    08-30-11 08:27 PM
    By the way, any options for a DECENT email client? If I read some email on other device the BlackBerry LED will continue to blink. The Gmail app has a horrible delay, whereas the default mail app is instantaneous. None of them can properly open attachments nor format text and HTML properly. The RIM app has the 2.9MB limitation and the Gmail app seems not to open anything!

Thanks for helping this hopeless n00b.
    08-30-11 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD