Upgrade went nice and smooth. No problems.

Maybe took 30 mins tops after downloading the file.

I love the threaded SMS and the scrolling through pictures horizontally like an Ipod sort of.

What is your fav part of 5.0?
    12-09-09 10:22 AM
    Good to hear, when I get home I might try it....having call quality issues

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-09 10:35 AM
    i have been running 5.0 since .234 was released. it was the first truely stable version. i just went to .411 this morning from .348. no complaints yet.
    12-09-09 10:49 AM
    5.0 is great im also at .411
    12-09-09 11:48 AM
    i have been running 5.0 since .234 was released. it was the first truely stable version. i just went to .411 this morning from .348. no complaints yet.
    I'm currently running 348 and have downloaded 411 but haven't installed it. Have you noticed any changes between the two?
    12-09-09 12:48 PM
    I'm currently running 348 and have downloaded 411 but haven't installed it. Have you noticed any changes between the two?
    1.) seems a little quicker
    2.) when theres no messages in the SMS folder, it now says *No Messages*, where on .348 it was just blank
    3.) people report SMS delivery reports are back and working
    4.) when setting the alarm clock, when scrolling through the hours/minutes/on and off, when you hit the upper or lower limit the numbers "bounce" if you keep scrolling. this was something on previous versions that .348 didnt do.

other than that, i really see no differences
    12-09-09 03:22 PM
    1.) seems a little quicker
    2.) when theres no messages in the SMS folder, it now says *No Messages*, where on .348 it was just blank
    3.) people report SMS delivery reports are back and working
    4.) when setting the alarm clock, when scrolling through the hours/minutes/on and off, when you hit the upper or lower limit the numbers "bounce" if you keep scrolling. this was something on previous versions that .348 didnt do.

other than that, i really see no differences
    did you notice the Location Data option in GPS?

Even though it says:
    Anonymously collects information to allow your device to quickly determine its location

I'm not sure what information it collects but if I'm indoors my location is way off
    12-09-09 04:12 PM
    did you notice the Location Data option in GPS?

Even though it says:
    Anonymously collects information to allow your device to quickly determine its location

I'm not sure what information it collects but if I'm indoors my location is way off
    i noticed "Location Aiding", uses additional network info to reduce the time it takes to find your location using GPS. probably uses cell location/triangulation to assist the GPS satellites lock in.
    12-09-09 04:23 PM
    i noticed "Location Aiding", uses additional network info to reduce the time it takes to find your location using GPS. probably uses cell location/triangulation to assist the GPS satellites lock in.
    There's no Location Data right before Location Aiding (or even below it, for some odd reason it moved when I did a battery pull)
    12-09-09 05:11 PM
    Heh I didn't even knew that there was such a thing like .411 might hav to give it a shot later today I'm currently running .348
    12-10-09 04:05 AM
    Heh I didn't even knew that there was such a thing like .411 might hav to give it a shot later today I'm currently running .348
    Unless you regularly visit the BETA OS forum, the next best place to know about new OS releases is check out the Blogs page... they reported OS 5.0.0.411 a couple days ago.
    12-10-09 06:24 AM
    I am also an 8900 user. Just bought it. Pls tell me how to get the new version which you guys are talking about. Would appreciate step by step procedure. Thanks.
    12-11-09 11:45 AM
    I am also an 8900 user. Just bought it. Pls tell me how to get the new version which you guys are talking about. Would appreciate step by step procedure. Thanks.
    From your posting here it appears you might want to get to know your device and this forum a little better before you start upgrading your device to a BETA OS if you don't even know how to upgrade your device... you can start with the Blackberry 101 lessons here on CB, there is link in my signature below, and a link under "Blackberry Help" at the top of every forum page... this include a very thread on how to upgrade your device's OS... additionally there is a link in my signature below to the Upgrade/Downgrade procedures.

Then after you are done and become more familiar with your device, then go to the BETA OS Forum
    12-11-09 11:51 AM
    Do you recommend upgrading to 5.0?

Since the beta's have been released I've always been a bit wary of taking the plunge and going from 4.6 to 5.0 as I'm not 100% tech savvy and if something does go wrong with the upgrade then I've got no comeback.

From what I've read on CB the early beta releases were a little 'temperamental'? but the more recent ones seem to be fine.

I've made official OS upgrades but am unsure whether to make the 'big jump'

What do you all think?
    12-11-09 06:57 PM

Since the beta's have been released I've always been a bit wary of taking the plunge and going from 4.6 to 5.0 as I'm not 100% tech savvy and if something does go wrong with the upgrade then I've got no comeback.

From what I've read on CB the early beta releases were a little 'temperamental'? but the more recent ones seem to be fine.

What do you all think?
    First, if you not comfortable don't do it.

Second, "I've got no comeback"... really??? Backup your data with DM... backup your 3rd party apps with the link in my signature... you can use PC applications like CrackMem to Wipe any OS version off your device and load Any other OS on your device, as long as it's built for your device.

Earlier I had issues with BB apps that would not work on 5.0 Operating Systems... I upgraded last night to 5.0.0.441 after backing up Everything... I then had to update only a couple apps that I'm currently using... I looked into every apps and they all work... UberTwitter, Facebook, BerryWeather, GoogleMaps, GoogleSync, and SmrtGuard.

I research all of these apps myself and read a lot of threads about people testing this new BETA OS version, and the apps on it... after a full day of using this new OS I don't see myself going back to a 4.6 OS.
    12-11-09 07:17 PM
    First, if you not comfortable don't do it.

Second, "I've got no comeback"... really??? Backup your data with DM... backup your 3rd party apps with the link in my signature... you can use PC applications like CrackMem to Wipe any OS version off your device and load Any other OS on your device, as long as it's built for your device.
    Sorry Fatboy.

When I said "I've got no comebacks" I should have said "I've got no excuses if anything goes wrong"

Much like you, I've seen many people on these forums asking for help when they've tried to upgrade to os 5 and it's all gone wrong. I just didn't want to be one of those people!
    12-11-09 07:30 PM
    I just didn't want to be one of those people!
    That's great news... a lot ask questions about upgrading, and with a number of the very early OS 5.0 version people were asking for even more help to get back to one of the OS 4.6 versions.

Like I said, if you are not comfortable with upgrading and downgrading your OS, don't do it... I highly recommend the Blackberry 101 lesson on upgrading your OS, and the Upgrade/Downgrade procedure... both located in my signature below.
    12-11-09 07:39 PM
    That's great news... a lot ask questions about upgrading, and with a number of the very early OS 5.0 version people were asking for even more help to get back to one of the OS 4.6 versions.

Like I said, if you are not comfortable with upgrading and downgrading your OS, don't do it... I highly recommend the Blackberry 101 lesson on upgrading your OS, and the Upgrade/Downgrade procedure... both located in my signature below.
    I've read the 101 lessons, but I think I'll wait until the official release (could be a long wait though!!!).

As I said earlier, I've upgraded official os' before, so I more or less know what I'm doing! But the last thing I want is to take the plunge, it to all go wrong and I have to come asking for help!!!
    12-11-09 07:48 PM
    I've read the 101 lessons, but I think I'll wait until the official release (could be a long wait though!!!).

As I said earlier, I've upgraded official os' before, so I more or less know what I'm doing! But the last thing I want is to take the plunge, it to all go wrong and I have to come asking for help!!!
    Interesting little walk around for nothing... and I thought you asked:

What do you all think?
    So I guess the entire conversation was just a big waste of time... well, I've had enough for one night... good night all!!!
    12-11-09 08:04 PM
    do it. 5.0 is worth the upgrade. just follow the proper steps.
    12-11-09 08:35 PM
    I had bad luck upgrading to 5.0 version 348. Its hella laggy and apps like all the instant messaging apps wouldn't load. Its unfortunate because I heard great things about the new OS. Went back to 4.6.231 and everything else went back to normal (stable).
    Hoping 5.0 releases soon. Threaded messaging looks awesome. I read somewhere that 5.0 also increases the video cam resolution? Can somebody confirm if its true??

12-12-09 03:00 AM
    I had bad luck upgrading to 5.0 version 348. Its hella laggy and apps like all the instant messaging apps wouldn't load. Its unfortunate because I heard great things about the new OS. Went back to 4.6.231 and everything else went back to normal (stable).
    Hoping 5.0 releases soon. Threaded messaging looks awesome. I read somewhere that 5.0 also increases the video cam resolution? Can somebody confirm if its true??

Yeah, it bumps it up to 320x240, so it's a tad better. Still crappy, but a tad less so.

I'm running .348 right now. Mostly everything is working fine. A few things I've noticed:

- I can't get BBMaps to show up (AT&T issues) but I could with a ribbon download in 4.6
    - Facebook issues obviously. Goes white for a little when refreshing news feeds and when doing mobile uploads
    - No show in map link for geotagged photos
    - I had a problem with App World and BBM being uninstalled and missing every time I did a battery pull after I installed, then uninstalled, the Sky2 Theme from App World. Reinstalling the OS did the trick on that.

So past that, it's been smooth. Just minor issues for the most part. Of course I can't wait until the full release is out instead of the Beta, but judging based on mixed reactions of .411, I take it they're not done just yet.
    12-12-09 03:50 AM
    dont forget guys, one person on here has a bad install experience, others have a perfect working OS. i dont know why, how or what is going on here.

some people have a phone full of errors and faults on new beta 5.0's, others have no problems whatsoever.

my advice for everyone is to take peoples experiences with a grain of salt. everyones OS install is going to be different apparently. it has to be device specific, the the OS as a whole.
    12-12-09 05:04 AM
    Upgrade went nice and smooth. No problems.

Maybe took 30 mins tops after downloading the file.

I love the threaded SMS and the scrolling through pictures horizontally like an Ipod sort of.

What is your fav part of 5.0?
    did you find any boost in the performance?
    12-12-09 05:53 AM
    Not really. Seems the same.

Anyone who upgraded can you answer this?

Before you could reset a theme's wallpaper back to the default one it came with if you went into your wallpapers and selected [reset wallpaper]. This is not there anymore.

The only thing I see is to reset the theme back to full defaults which screws with all your icons and folders.
    12-12-09 06:52 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD