But before I get all excited, I want to know about our 3rd party apps. I wasn't around for the switch from OS4 to OS5, so I don't know what to expect. Should the current apps run OK on the new OS, or are we going to be sitting around for weeks with a bare-bones OS load waiting for developers to upgrade?

I don't run a lot of 3rd party stuff, but what I *do* run, I want to keep. Any thoughts on this from some of the "old timers"?
    08-17-10 03:09 PM
    But before I get all excited, I want to know about our 3rd party apps. I wasn't around for the switch from OS4 to OS5, so I don't know what to expect. Should the current apps run OK on the new OS, or are we going to be sitting around for weeks with a bare-bones OS load waiting for developers to upgrade?

I don't run a lot of 3rd party stuff, but what I *do* run, I want to keep. Any thoughts on this from some of the "old timers"?
    The longer it takes for us to get OS6 on existing devices, the longer the 3rd party app builders will have to produce updates.

That said, quite a few OS5 apps are compatible with OS6 already. And every day I see a tweet or an update about another couple that have OS6 compatibility. So I would say by the time we get it, most (if not all) OS5 apps will be good to go.

RIM stated that OS6 is backward compatible with OS5 apps, but we know some apps had to update.
    08-17-10 03:12 PM
    Maybe you should check the OS 6 and Torch forum's to see if users are having trouble with the apps that are important to you. From what I've read, the majority of them do still work.
    08-17-10 03:22 PM
    By the time I see OS6 on an S3, I suspect the apps will have been updated...all except for iheartradio which is pathetically inept at fixing their app for the Storm series.
    08-17-10 03:55 PM
    It quite the upgrade for bberry users so i think it kinda merits the hype.
    08-17-10 03:57 PM
    It quite the upgrade for bberry users so i think it kinda merits the hype.
    umm, show me any product lately that "merits" the hype. isn't "hype" by definition all about hyperbole and puffery? when it gets down to actually using a new product day to day, then the "gotchas" and defects show up. I'm so NOT into hype.
    08-17-10 04:11 PM
  7. T
    I don't even have OS5.
    08-17-10 05:03 PM
  8. T
    ... when it gets down to actually using a new product day to day, then the "gotchas" and defects show up. I'm so NOT into hype.
    Yea, that's definitely when the charm of the "wow factor" starts to wear off.
    08-17-10 05:05 PM
    I love OS6, but some apps are not working well on it.
    BerryBuzz, Meterberry and Poynt are all pokey for me....
    08-19-10 03:12 PM
    In time, especially when 6.0 rolls out to other devices, these apps will update and provide better 6.0 support.
    08-19-10 03:16 PM
    I don't recall many problems at all with apps jumping from OS 4 to OS 5, unless you're going to load up on unofficial releases well before they are pushed out.

Compatibility aside, I'd like to see some improvements in the apps to take advantage of all this extra app memory. I don't want an OS4 style app on my OS6 phone.
    08-19-10 10:01 PM
    Dang...Meterberry and Poynt are two of the ones I was specifically worried about. Hopefully they'll get them tweaked soon......
    08-19-10 10:45 PM
    In time, especially when 6.0 rolls out to other devices, these apps will update and provide better 6.0 support.
    I'll hold you to that, PK!!! Right now it's bugging the living daylights out of me that I can't have Disco as my incoming call notification!!!
    08-20-10 07:53 AM
    Dang...Meterberry and Poynt are two of the ones I was specifically worried about. Hopefully they'll get them tweaked soon......
    I reported it to Poynt. Others on the forum did as well. A rep from Poynt actually came on to the forum to say they'd work on something to release in September - so pad it a bit and say a solution will be available October/November. You never take software release dates as gospel!!!
    08-20-10 07:55 AM
    Don't let it download this crapware. I cannot connect to my PC anymore since installing. FRACK OS6.
    08-20-10 08:40 AM
    A Pandora rep has come online also assuring us they are working on a 6.0 update as well.
    08-20-10 08:56 AM
    A Pandora rep has come online also assuring us they are working on a 6.0 update as well.
    IMO, any personal electronics that can't handle Pandora is a device not worthy of my money. I made sure that Pandora would work on the S1 before I bought my first BB last year. AAMOF, pandora is providing me with tunes as I write this. I like Pandora so much, I'm a paying customer ($36/year).
    08-20-10 09:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD