Hi. I'm a bit of a noob at these things so bear with me.

I bought an unlocked Torch 9800 off a friend of a friend. She said it was originally T-mobile but my O2 sim works in it, which is fine. Everything works fine except BBM and emails, and applications such as Facebook, Twitter etc.

I've established, after many phonecalls to O2 and scouring Crackberry.com, that it has BES on it, as I'm not able to set up my personal email (and it says 'edge' in lowercase, if that's any help).

I've been to O2 who say I need to go to T-Mobile to ask them to release my IMEI and PIN so they can add the normal BIS.
    I went to T-Mobile who told me that the warranty is void as soon as the phone was unlocked and to ask Blackberry. No-one seems to know anything!
    How can I get hold of a Blackberry expert to just kindly come and do this for me??

Long story short, I want to do a factory reset but the command prompt apploader stuff doesn't work, i.e. the filename/path can't be found. Getting so frustrated.

Please help.
    06-26-12 10:33 AM
    First off, it sounds like the PIN of the phone is still registered under your friends account so get her to contact her carrier and ensure her BIS account is deleted (if she has a new blackberry this should have been done when she swapped devices)

You will need an appropriate blackberry data plan from your carrier (as your edge is in lower case it doesn't sound like you have a proper blackberry data plan).
    06-26-12 03:52 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry.

First off a factory reset will not help you remove BES from your phone.

BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) is a piece of software run by many companies worldwide to run and manage their company BlackBerrys. It is highly secure and offers companys a way to have the highest corporate security on their phones. Once a BlackBerry is connected to a BES system, BES owns it. This situation will remain until the BES administrator removes that BlackBerry from the BES database. Once this is done the BlackBerry can be used for personal use or on a different BES system.

You now need to find which company "owns" your BlackBerry. You need to be careful here because the company may not be aware that their BlackBery is in your hands and they may not be very pleased to find this out.

T-Mobile uses different 3G channel frequencies from other carriers. Unless you use T-Mobile the phone you have will never be able to make use of 3G. EDGE is the best you will get and not all carrier have full EDGE coverage.

Currently you are seeing edge (lowercase) this means that the phone is seeing the data network but cannot use it becuase it cannot log in. To log in to the data network and see EDGE (uppercase) you need a BlackBerry dataplan known as BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service). O2 have this as a Bolt-On ('cuz I got one). Before you can make BIS work, you must first release your BlackBerry from the BES system that "owns" it.

It may be best to get your money back from your friend if you cannot find the BES service to which your BlackBerry is tied and if you are intending to use O2 as your carrier. Because if you use O2 you will never get 3G on this phone because it does not have the hardware to use O2's 3G network.

I am sorry to tell you lots of bad news but that is the truth.
    06-26-12 04:14 PM
    This is worth a try. BES puts security on all its phones. This is referred to as an IT Policy. If the BES server has disconnected the phone from its database it will normally remove the IT Policy. Somtimes this does not happen. Maybe the SIM card was removed before the BES signal went out.

Have a look in Oprions, Security, Firewall. If there is an IT POlicy present you will NOT be able to disable the firewall. There will probably be a little red padlock visible too.

An IT Policy can be removed. Here's how http://forums.crackberry.com/desktop...anager-693936/.

There are other methods too and I can point you to them but this is the easiest. During this procedure the phone will reboot and may do some unfamiliar things. Do not worry, all will be well.

If the procedure is successful, the Firewall On/Off will now be selectable by you.

You might be lucky and have cleared the problem. Let's hope so.
    06-26-12 04:32 PM
    Not to rob this thread but I have the same issue but my phone says the IT Policy has been disabled yet I still can't add a personal e-mail account as it asks for enterprise activation? What should be done next?
    06-27-12 10:51 AM
    I had the same problem i uninstalled the email app using desktop software made an os upgrade to 6 (723) then reinstalled the email app and it turned to work just fine
    07-07-12 03:05 PM
    Not to rob this thread but I have the same issue but my phone says the IT Policy has been disabled yet I still can't add a personal e-mail account as it asks for enterprise activation? What should be done next?
    check your device apn settings, go to options, device, advanced system settings, TCP IP, make sure you have the correct ones for your carrier, if you do not know them, tell us what carrier you are using and we can help you with that.
    Once you have the correct apn settings, go to options, device, advanced system settings, host routing tables, click menu and select register now, the open your messages folder and open the menu and click in options, select email accounts management, it should take you to the email setup app from there you should be able to add your email accounts
    Last edited by ealvnv; 07-07-12 at 03:16 PM.
    07-07-12 03:11 PM
    am unable to change from bes to bis...there is no it policy enable...i did a jl_cmdr...still getting the enterprise activation message i have got a bis plan on my phone....sumbody please help me...am getting frustrated!!!
    thank you!!!
    07-24-12 01:33 PM
    Has anyone found a way to get rid of the BES without contacting former company phone owners. If not how do we find the former owner of a blackberry. can blackberry do the job?
    01-13-13 11:10 PM
    @Mosh - have you contacted your carrier to see if they can assist? What do you have next to your signal strength?

@bbbusiness - why do you think "BES" is on the phone? If you are only seeing Enterprise Activation when you try and setup email then this is normally down to an incorrect data plan being on the account. It can also be that the old IT policy is still on the phone - you would need to remove this followng these instructions.

KB14202-How to remove an IT policy from a BlackBerry smartphone
    01-14-13 02:28 AM
    I have the exact same problem. I got a bold 9900 from Craglist.
    Do you have answer now?
    07-24-13 11:32 AM
    I have the exact same problem. I got a bold 9900 from Craglist.
    Do you have answer now?
    The post right above yours spells it out nicely. Please read the link if you have already contacted your carrier and confirmed that you have the correct data plan on your service.

Posted from my Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.483
    07-24-13 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD