Whatever the best parts of iMessage are -- like the auto detecting of another iPhone user, you can bet that is already being rolled into BBM for BB10. Unless... Apple has it patented.

Everyone copies from everyone.
    The Auto detect a user having BBM through SMS use and transferring it over isn't possible with a BlackBerry, they could notify you IF you grant BBM permissions to your address book to allow it, but you'd still need to send the request and have them accept it, AND Enterprise controls would still allow BES admins to block the use of such a system, or control how you add people
    04-09-12 09:24 PM
    $30 start up and $5 per month in ongoing fees for a service that others are gladly offering for free?? For what is basically glorified txt messaging??

You think honestly believe a subscriber base that doesn't use BB phones would be willing to pay for this service?
    Exactly, who in their right mind would pay a monthly subscription to instant message? Especially with Facebook messenger, and other im clients...

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 09:34 PM
    It needs to be free for sure. I just added another person from my work to Live Profile. I told her about the app and to download it.

I guess cross platform is the winner. My LP list is getting bigger like my BBM used to be.
    04-09-12 09:37 PM
    The Auto detect a user having BBM through SMS use and transferring it over isn't possible with a BlackBerry, they could notify you IF you grant BBM permissions to your address book to allow it, but you'd still need to send the request and have them accept it, AND Enterprise controls would still allow BES admins to block the use of such a system, or control how you add people
    For a consumer (BIS) user, just having it notify you that the person you are SMS'ing has a BlackBerry and asking if you'd like to invite to add as a BBM contact is all that is needed. It would not have to be totally automated (and less secure) in order to be useful.
    04-09-12 09:45 PM
    For a consumer (BIS) user, just having it notify you that the person you are SMS'ing has a BlackBerry and asking if you'd like to invite to add as a BBM contact is all that is needed. It would not have to be totally automated (and less secure) in order to be useful.
    BUT you'd have to alter permissions to allow it, because by default RIM needs to have your contact list protected from other apps to keep it's image of security and privacy.
    to open ones address book to being snooped by a native app opens up to the issues that have happened with contacts on iOS and Android being shared/harassed without your knowledge

I DO think it i a good idea, but the implementation will not be as smooth as iMessage because of company perception requirements
    04-09-12 10:23 PM
    i am from Malaysia, area that the reception is only GPRS, hardly you can get EDGE connection. i can connect my coworkers and friends via BBM or email without any delay or problem. My colleague iphone4s only can send or receive his imessage/email when connect to wifi. we got Telco here offer data plan package for BBM only so is very affordable compare to other devices...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 11:26 PM
    BUT you'd have to alter permissions to allow it, because by default RIM needs to have your contact list protected from other apps to keep it's image of security and privacy.
    to open ones address book to being snooped by a native app opens up to the issues that have happened with contacts on iOS and Android being shared/harassed without your knowledge

I DO think it i a good idea, but the implementation will not be as smooth as iMessage because of company perception requirements
    I see what you mean about the address books. But I would think it is not a big deal on the consumer side to allow someone else's BlackBerry to know you are also using a BlackBerry. Nothing else -- just access the device type. Then suggest the two use BBM to communicate. (prompt to install, etc.).

But then I suppose after all the automation is removed it is not all that useful anyhow. The users would still need to "invite" each other and accept. Oh well. Never mind lol.
    04-09-12 11:43 PM
    I see what you mean about the address books. But I would think it is not a big deal on the consumer side to allow someone else's BlackBerry to know you are also using a BlackBerry. Nothing else -- just access the device type. Then suggest the two use BBM to communicate. (prompt to install, etc.).

But then I suppose after all the automation is removed it is not all that useful anyhow. The users would still need to "invite" each other and accept. Oh well. Never mind lol.
    sorry I'm just looking at the implications, it would mean RIM would have to build a component designed to scan an address book, and access an app to see if it is 1 installed, 2 being used, and 3 open to being broadcast, this would need to be written into the OS, which means it would be on BES enabled devices. and even as a consumer I don't like the idea of all my contacts being scanned and used, and the risk of that happening increases if a system is made to use it.

You might not mind signing up for a site, but would you really want your friends signing you up with your full name, phone number and email address to a site because they didn't read the ToS when adding an app? I'd like my contact list locked down, and I truly hate that there are former BB users out there that have all my contact info from when they were BB users on non BB devices. I get enough spam
    04-09-12 11:51 PM
    sorry I'm just looking at the implications, it would mean RIM would have to build a component designed to scan an address book, and access an app to see if it is 1 installed, 2 being used, and 3 open to being broadcast, this would need to be written into the OS, which means it would be on BES enabled devices. and even as a consumer I don't like the idea of all my contacts being scanned and used, and the risk of that happening increases if a system is made to use it.

You might not mind signing up for a site, but would you really want your friends signing you up with your full name, phone number and email address to a site because they didn't read the ToS when adding an app? I'd like my contact list locked down, and I truly hate that there are former BB users out there that have all my contact info from when they were BB users on non BB devices. I get enough spam
    I like your idea of a 2nd app that both/all parties choose to install and choose to allow scanning/sharing. That would seem to address all of the issues raised.
    04-10-12 06:56 AM
    It's a personal preference really and like others have said is about who has the most in your group or family. Having said that I personally prefer bbm to imessage hands down! There's no comparison. I have iphone right now but could care less about imessage, it really is transparent like someone else said. I can't tell who has imessage until I type in a contact. I find it just a side thought,where as with bbm I enjoyed using it and like the layout of it being able to see my contacts quickly and easily... For now I use kik on iphone but not everyone has it
    04-10-12 07:51 AM
85 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD