That's not a function of BBM that's a function of the

Honestly, I would like BBM to be automatically recognized and I think the option should exist for those that do want it. I'm not sure where you get the idea that random people would be added to your contacts list. It's just a matter of recognizing which of your contacts do use BlackBerry messenger.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    I would like the ability to know if anyone on my contact list is using BBM but I don't want them automatically showing up in my BBM contact list. The thing is, the way it is set up now, you have to explicitly add someone to your list, which gives you power over who is on your list. That is actually a feature that I love about BBM.

The biggest difference between iMessage and BBM for is the usage of a pin for your ID. With a pin, that is all they know until I give them more information. This pin is tied to your device and not the user. I get the convenience argument, I really do but somehow, having the message being delivered to more than one device screams unsecure to me.
    04-09-12 11:19 AM
    Sorry, I'm not arguing, I'm just pointing things out. I wasn't referring to randoms, I was talking about my own contacts, I wouldn't want them all on BBM.

By the way, there is a way you can tell if another person you email has a BB, the read receipts shows up as an R beside the email if they read it on a BB, if they read it on something else the read receipt comes back as a separate email.

I have added people to BBM after I saw the R, mainly clients.
    Thanks for the email test and instructions on how to enable this.

HOLY CRAP! Four years of owning a BlackBerry and I thought enabling Confirm Read and Confirm Deliver would send me an email confirming these....so I didn't EVER check those boxes.

THANKS FOR SHOWING ME SOMETHING NEW!!!!!

That's why I love CrackBerry!!!!!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-09-12 at 11:41 AM.
    04-09-12 11:33 AM
    I think BBM is still better at this point.

I've had some iMessages that said "delivered" when they were never delivered, so this false sense of confirmation is a serious failure.

Both are fast, both give you delivered and read confirmation if enabled. both does this over data. imessage will switch automatically to sms if imesasge is not available.

imessage is intergraded directly into your messages(SMS) which I personally find better
    not having to exchange PIN's is a plus for me also. I read about people mentioning that PIN is better since you can just delete them without being harassed with txt and phone calls, but this doesn't personally affect me since I only give my contact info to those who I want to and I have no problems telling them not to call me if it gets to that level. I believe carriers can block numbers too.
    I think of Imessage more like a SMS with other iphone users. its almost transparent when you are using it, and you can tell apart if you need to by the color of the text.

Most of my conversations have been turning blue instead of green lately, which indicates that most of my contacts are getting on the iOS devices, this is sort of how when I was on BB most of my texts were visa BBM instead of SMS.

as someone said above, I think its only as good as the number of people are using it. I was left with just a handfull of BBM contacts at the end of my BB run, and I dont think they really cared about my status updates and profile pictures to be honest with you. and as for security, I'm not in any sort of a profession that I should be concerned. If my similey faces and simple texts don't get encrypted, I wont be upset.

I'm sure Apple will do good on fixing the bugs they currently have, but at this point, to answer your question BBM is still better. Reliably
    Last edited by wylderubicon; 04-09-12 at 12:35 PM.
    04-09-12 12:29 PM
    If your friends and acquaintances are on BlackBerry, BBM is better.

If your friends and acquaintances are on iOS, iMessage is better.

If your friends are equally divided between the two, you'll have to resort to carrier pigeon.
    04-09-12 12:40 PM
    I would love if BBM scanned my contact list and had the option of adding those with a BlackBerry to my BBM. I like that about iMessage.

Then I wouldn't care either way about BBM using a PIN because it would automatically recognize other BlackBerry devices and auto add. Right now, I find it a pain to use Pins and ask my friends and family if they have, or switched to, a BlackBerry.

Also, since starting school I have added a few people to my address book. I have to ask them what device they use so that if they have BBM I can add them. So far, it's been two people.

I'd rather just have an app scan and auto add or give me the option to add the contact to the messaging app. Live Profile has this feature as well.

I would disable that if it enabled it, and would be very upset if my device broadcast the type of device I use.

I don't want some contacts knowing my device type, even though all smartphones have email, having a BlackBerry in business seems to still have a bit of a stigma expecting more immediate responses than not having a BlackBerry,

I think it would be a nice BBM connected app that someone could make that allowed it to search your address book, and compare it to other people who have the app who have BlackBerry's and then notify both of you that you both have BlackBerry's and ask about BBM connections.

but it certainly is not something I would want full time, it works for iMessage because iMessage is just a message tool, they don't have the profile pictures, and status updates, it doesn't integrate with other activities.

my contact list climbs every month, but I make sure to keep my BBM under 150 contacts, that wouldn't be realistic if I allowed every BlackBerry contact in my address book into my BBM. and I'm sure I'm not alone on this.
    04-09-12 12:42 PM
    If your friends and acquaintances are on BlackBerry, BBM is better.

If your friends and acquaintances are on iOS, iMessage is better.

If your friends are equally divided between the two, you'll have to resort to carrier pigeon.

Partially true,

If your largest friend circle uses BlackBerry & BBM, then BBM is your best option
    If your largest friend circle uses iPhone then iMessage is your best option
    if you have a mixed back of BB users, iPhone users, and Android users, BlackBerry is probably your best option because you get BBM for your BlackBerry friends, you still have SMS for your iPhone and Android friends or they download a 3rd party message, if you have the mixed bag of friends, you run the risk of them switching devices and you being used to iMessage SMS's and now go to regular SMS, and incur costs you may not have had before, because there is no differentiation and I also recall reading about an iMessage issue if a user was an iPhone user and moved to Android iMessage didn't acknowledge the change, though I'm sure the bug has been fixed.
    04-09-12 12:48 PM
    Partially true,

If your largest friend circle uses BlackBerry & BBM, then BBM is your best option
    If your largest friend circle uses iPhone then iMessage is your best option
    if you have a mixed back of BB users, iPhone users, and Android users, BlackBerry is probably your best option because you get BBM for your BlackBerry friends, you still have SMS for your iPhone and Android friends or they download a 3rd party message, if you have the mixed bag of friends, you run the risk of them switching devices and you being used to iMessage SMS's and now go to regular SMS, and incur costs you may not have had before, because there is no differentiation and I also recall reading about an iMessage issue if a user was an iPhone user and moved to Android iMessage didn't acknowledge the change, though I'm sure the bug has been fixed.
    There is a differentiation. The message changes color. An advantage of imessage is if you have a friend who switches devices, you message the exact same way as before with the iPhone, just the color changes.

Which goes back to the other post...It all depends on your situation..

If most of the people you contact have an iphone, iMessage is better.
    If most of the people you contact have a Blackberry, BBM is better.

If you have unlimited texting but a low data cap, SMS is better.
    If you have a low texting plan but a high data cap or unlimited data, BBM or iMessage is better.

And as I said before...

If all of your friends have an iphone, BBM is useless.
    If all of your friends have a Blackberry, iMessage is useless.

As with most things in the smartphone world, the better option depends on the user's individual situation.
    04-09-12 01:03 PM
    I think it would be a nice BBM connected app that someone could make that allowed it to search your address book, and compare it to other people who have the app who have BlackBerry's and then notify both of you that you both have BlackBerry's and ask about BBM connections.
    That's a good idea. A separate app would serve those that wanted the functionality. Someone is open minded and thinking.

04-09-12 01:16 PM
    as a new iPhone user (coming from Bold 9900) theres just no real comparison for me. BBM is hands down better in my opinion.
    04-09-12 01:19 PM
    I like BBM, but very few friends that I know have BBs. If RIM decided to support other platforms even for a small one time fee, I am sure even iOS Apple iSheeps will use BBM over Apple version.

Let's charge $5 per month or so more for BBM on other phones or charge $30 or so up front as app buying cost and RIM can profit from this.

Sent from BlackBerry Bold 9900
    04-09-12 01:32 PM

Let's charge $5 per month or so more for BBM on other phones or charge $30 or so up front as app buying cost and RIM can profit from this.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous thing I've heard today.

Why not just have RIM stand on a corner with a coin cup?

Rubbish.
    04-09-12 01:37 PM
    If RIM does take BBM cross platform, they cannot afford to charge significantly more than what other cross platform IMs charge.
    04-09-12 01:40 PM

Rubbish.
    I actually don't think it's such a bad idea. RIM are going to lose a fair bit of carrier service revenue (my speculation with the switch to activesync and BB10) and I think there would be a pretty healthy market for cross platform BBM which would compensate for some of the loss.
    04-09-12 01:58 PM
    I've tried both and I like bbm because of its secure and you aren't giving people your number just a pin. But the only bad thing is that most of my friends don't have blackberries so i have to chat with them through text messaging not bbm. but overall bbm
    04-09-12 02:15 PM
    Both are not cross platform. The MAIN issue here is that of communication and whatsapp's availability on every platform and immense popularity will result in the death of both imessage and bbm (it has already started imo).
    04-09-12 02:20 PM
    I actually don't think it's such a bad idea. RIM are going to lose a fair bit of carrier service revenue (my speculation with the switch to activesync and BB10) and I think there would be a pretty healthy market for cross platform BBM which would compensate for some of the loss.
    $30 start up and $5 per month in ongoing fees for a service that others are gladly offering for free?? For what is basically glorified txt messaging??

You think honestly believe a subscriber base that doesn't use BB phones would be willing to pay for this service?
    04-09-12 02:22 PM
    I like BBM, but very few friends that I know have BBs. If RIM decided to support other platforms even for a small one time fee, I am sure even iOS Apple iSheeps will use BBM over Apple version.

whatsapp costs .99 cents on iOS and has an indefinite trial period on blackberry (it keeps on extending on its own) and can do everything bbm is capable of (even showing when a message has been opened, represented the double ticks).

the low adoption rate from your suggestion will destroy blackberry's reputation further. you won't see apple releasing a product if they aren't sure that queues will form from day 1. it's all about brand image.
    04-09-12 02:25 PM
    $30 start up and $5 per month in ongoing fees for a service that others are gladly offering for free?? For what is basically glorified txt messaging??

You think honestly believe a subscriber base that doesn't use BB phones would be willing to pay for this service?
    I'm not agreeing with his pricing, just the concept.

04-09-12 03:29 PM
    I have a BB, my wife has the iPhone 4S. So we just use WhatsApp. Works great on both platforms.

Buying a phone because of its messaging system is certainly not a priority for me, especially since people I know own iPhones, Androids, and BBs, and it appears that WhatsApp is our common thread.

My next phone purchase will be decided on the strength of BB10, not on BBM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    04-09-12 03:46 PM

Do you ever wonder why they're free? Do you think they just do it out of the goodness of their hearts? I mean really, are we that naive? I would much rather pay for an IM client.
    04-09-12 03:59 PM
    Do you ever wonder why they're free? Do you think they just do it out of the goodness of their hearts? I mean really, are we that naive? I would much rather pay for an IM client.
    big ones are not free. small margins, huge volume no? paying for IM past a certain point is a self-defeating strategy. no matter how many awesome features you have, your adoption rate is going to be low and your IM software becomes useless.
    04-09-12 04:04 PM
    First I don't particularly care for either of them as they are single platform, I use cross platform messaging apps only such as WhatsApp also there is no need for PINs for e.g WhatsApp automatically detects all your contacts by comparing address books, really nice, only problem is its tied to the device and no web interface.
    Samsung has its own messenger (ChatON) which works on almost all platform and even has a web interface so you can use it on any device with a browser.

On i Message Vs BBM I would have to side with iMessage,
    Seamless integration uses either data or regular sms if user doesnt have iMessage.
    Messages ARE encrypted also.
    Not tied to one device.
    Doesn't rely on BB network for connectivity.
    04-09-12 06:05 PM
    There is a differentiation. The message changes color. An advantage of imessage is if you have a friend who switches devices, you message the exact same way as before with the iPhone, just the color changes.

Which goes back to the other post...It all depends on your situation..

If most of the people you contact have an iphone, iMessage is better.
    If most of the people you contact have a Blackberry, BBM is better.

If you have unlimited texting but a low data cap, SMS is better.
    If you have a low texting plan but a high data cap or unlimited data, BBM or iMessage is better.

And as I said before...

If all of your friends have an iphone, BBM is useless.
    If all of your friends have a Blackberry, iMessage is useless.

As with most things in the smartphone world, the better option depends on the user's individual situation.

I was under the impression the error with iMessage was that your contact didn't change back from blue(?) if the contact WAS an iMessage user but changed phones, so you no longer were able to send them iMessages and needed to switch back to SMS,

Also if your contact is an SMS contact who moves to iMessage and back to SMS, you have to be geographically aware of their locations, which is why I said if your friend circle isn't predominately iMessage but a Mix of all 3 users the BlackBerry would be the better purchase from a purely messaging capable standpoint because you don't fall into the SMS error risk,
    04-09-12 06:13 PM

Rubbish.

I agree that it is the dumbest idea,
    but I am sure that our reasons are different.

RIM can't make BBM a paid for app on alternative devices because of political reasons, and carrier relationship issues, the carriers are the ones who will have to foot the "bill" for the management of BBM on alternative platforms as long as RIM maintains carrier only NOC's

Also the cost of BBM can't the the same of a full NOC, as it looks far to expensive to both consumers and enterprise users, Enterprise users will look at BBM as a costly addition, RIM needs to make Enterprise users make BBM a required tool within their organization, so if RIM is to do anything it is to make a Mobile fusion deployed BBM for alternative devices, with various feature sets based on different fee schedules, but that is a thread in itself.
    04-09-12 06:19 PM
    Whatever the best parts of iMessage are -- like the auto detecting of another iPhone user, you can bet that is already being rolled into BBM for BB10. Unless... Apple has it patented.

Everyone copies from everyone.
    04-09-12 09:01 PM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD